Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Gay Bean
Apr 19, 2004
A little off-topic here, but I suppose the right people read this thread to answer this question.

I've been at a startup for about two years now. I negotiated a higher up-front salary instead of getting a higher stake in the company, but I'm still on a 4-year vesting schedule for 1% stock in the company. When our founder gave me this, I was thinking, "well, if I get some value from this stake, great, but I'm not going to plan on receiving anything," and I naively assumed that this stake couldn't possibly have any negative implications.

We've been doing well and our valuation is going up pretty steadily. The company got a bit behind on accounting and tax, but we're finally formalizing documents regarding the vesting of early employees' stakes. It turns out that, depending on the type of stock I receive, I might end up having to report capital gains based on the increasing valuation of the company - possibly to the tune of $150,000 in capital gains between 2016-2017. He was vague about these options, but has promised to get back to me within a week in writing as to what my options are.

My question is about strategies to mitigate this tax burden. Is there any good place where I can read about what my options are here? Are there any particular options I should be pushing for personally to minimize whatever tax burden results? Should I be hiring a lawyer or account here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gay Bean
Apr 19, 2004
I'm glad that you think that, because that's what I thought too. I'm hoping this is all just a miscommunication between our lawyer and him.

The Gay Bean
Apr 19, 2004
Thanks guys, tax accountant it is.

• Locked thread