Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Turdpunch
May 26, 2004

poshphil posted:

stuff

Unless you have a natural flair for good design, CSS/HTML etc i wouldn't waste too much time trying to learn the skills to develop sites better than other bottom of the barrel outfits. Theres so many 'completed websites for £199' deals that its really not worth entering.

You can buy some $5 hosting, install wordpress for free and get a template such as http://themes.kopyov.com/?theme=miriam for $15, so you've got to either think what are you going to offer thats different or look to resell the knowledge of doing that all that for a small monthly fee.

Perhaps look into creating some wordpress plugins which do the tax calculator stuff, install wordpress MU, offer a selection of templates and offer it all for x amount per month? There seems to be hundreds of sites already doing this so maybe you can try and compete with them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turdpunch
May 26, 2004

poshphil posted:

I'm doing some courses through lynda.com so I am more familiar with everything really and also so I'm able to do any other work I can get my hands on whilst I build up clients for the accountancy side of thing. I have to say this is going a bit slower than I'd hoped due to life but I'm getting back in the swing of things now.

That's sort of my point - if your skillset lies in the accountancy side of things, why invest the time/effort into learning web design at such an early stage?

You could offer a series of templates which look a hundred times better than the ones on the link you posted and you don't even have to buy them until someone signs up - this makes it possible to setup a site relatively quickly/cheaply to see how much interest you generate before devoting x months learning how to build sites. Play up to your skills not weaknesses.

Turdpunch fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Nov 2, 2011

• Locked thread