Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
3 Stacked Midgets
Jul 29, 2004
Triple Threat
I'm a product manager at a startup. Our company went through YC, but I'm not going to be a terribly useful source of advice about how to get in, other than 'don't suck.'

I don't quite get the focus on idea generation and plan creation. That's useful, but building stuff and then selling it to people is where the majority of the work is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Stacked Midgets
Jul 29, 2004
Triple Threat

taqueso posted:

What YC company are you with, if you don't mind sharing?

I think idea generation and plan creation are things that are obviously needed, even if you have no experience building a business. If you haven't tried to actually do anything, you may not yet realize how much work is involved in building & selling, and will concentrate on the areas you know. You generally do need a (possibly bad) plan/idea to get started, so it is not surprising to me that those aspects are discussed the most on general interest forums.

I'm happy to share in PM, but I'd like to keep this username separate from my professional persona.

Idea generation is a huge part of creating a product. I've also observed that many people use coming up with business plans as a sort of procrastination that prevents them from progressing. The other part of coming up with ideas for products is planning how to build them.

I also think it's a healthy phase to be in if you want to start working in startups. I spent maybe a couple years coming up with ideas that I never executed on before actually working as anything other than a contractor at a startup.

One thing that I noticed with myself is that I managed to convince myself that some of my good ideas were not viable. For example, I wanted to create a suit-tailoring company that would allow you to submit your measurements and then to have a skilled tailor in China make it for you. Interviewing people that actually knew the business convinced me not to do it.

Earlier this year, I read about a company actually doing that and enjoying early success at it.

I doubt I would have succeeded if I had actually tried, but I let my 'research' prevent me from being empirical about testing my entrepreneurial hypothesis.

My best advice is that if you want to be a founder (which I have not been, so take this with some salt) is to build your idea on the smallest scale possible first. Get one customer or one download. Create a mockup or a prototype before starting to build something big.

• Locked thread