Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Apok
Jul 22, 2005
I have a title now!

Konstantin posted:

The issue with working for early stage startups as an employee is that you have to make the difference between an employee and a founder absolutely clear. Startups in general require certain sacrifices, you have to work long hours, the company isn't stable, and the work often doesn't utilize your skills. Founders consider those sacrifices worth it because they can implement their vision and succeed and fail on their own terms, with a huge financial reward for success. Early employees, however, have to report to the founders, and if they own equity it has some strings attached. Oftentimes these boundaries get blurred and employees consider themselves founders, only to get a harsh reality check if the big money starts flowing in. Both parties are to blame, the founders may start to think of their employees as peers, especially if they don't have serious management experience themselves, and the employees fall into that and think that they own the company in the same way the founders do. In an insular and informal environment such as a small startup, both parties need to make the effort to maintain those professional boundaries, regardless of the compensation system.

This is so true and something I fear since I'd like to bring friends in as I grow. I had to make it absolutely clear in my business plan that I'm the owner and that everyone else is an employee.

Also, thank god I broke down my business plan into monthly bits. I was feeling so overwhelmed at all I have to do. It's a lot, but now that it's on paper it doesn't feel like such a large mountain over the next few months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread