Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
macpod
Jan 29, 2006
What the hell was that about?
I live in Maryland and started selling electronic kits this year for amusement and to fund my personal projects. By the end of the year, I will have net sales of about 1500$ and next year I expect that to be higher.

I do not have a company and am wondering how much I screwed myself over tax-wise this year? I'm wondering how I should file this too so it does not look like I made a 1500$ net profit (I had to buy tools, materials, pay for shipping, and spend my time designing and fabricating kits).

Finally, I'm wondering if it's worth it to get an llc or sole proprietorship (and which one) if I only expect to make 2000$ or less in upcoming years.

I have researched this in the past and always became discouraged. I feel (I cannot say if this is the truth or not) like whenever I want to take on side work or make things myself, selling it properly becomes such a hassle it's just not worth doing it in the end :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

macpod
Jan 29, 2006
What the hell was that about?
Thanks Captain Beans, that helped and reiterated some advice I received today.

I also had a discussion about negligence related lawsuits today. I was somewhat under the impression that an llc would protect me from this, but evidently not. It seems like the proper thing for me to do would be to purchase umbrella liability insurance. I'm looking into this more now.

• Locked thread