Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I'm working in a hardware startup. I've launched a kickstarter that was just fully funded, have taken care of designing a website and figuring out manufacturing. I'm looking for a book that talks about everything else like taxes, accounting, etc. Any good suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

the talent deficit posted:

hire an accountant. a good one

I'm only doing all of this to learn more, so I'd rather not.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I'm trying to figure out what more to add to my electronics startup's website. I currently have blog posts about the status of things, a product page which gives setup instructions and examples, an about page, and a contact page. There is currently no traffic but in about two or three weeks people will start receiving their Kickstarter reward and I want to make sure I've got everything covered before people start visiting. Are there any other pages/content I'm missing?

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

Juanito posted:

Do you have an easy way to catch new interest? It doesn't sound like you've got an active store. So you need to have a very easy way for people to give you their contact information, or get on a waiting list. Facebook and Twitter are good ideas too, if only to catch the people who would prefer to Like your Facebook page, or follow you on Twitter and be reminded of your product, instead of providing their email address. FB is always my personal preference for casually remembering something.
As far as catching interest, I do have an Instagram which I post to a few times a week. I've also snagged my company name on most social media sites (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc) and do use some IFTTT recipes to post my content from Instagram to them. Anything more, and I feel like I'm spreading myself too thin. Once I finish shipping products to my backers I was thinking of opening up a Tindie (Etsy for electronics) store or pitch my product to Sparkfun.com which likes to pick up little electronics to put in their storefront. That wouldn't be probably until January or February though. Perhaps that is too late and I should start getting the ball rolling on stuff to do once I've shipped out all the rewards to my Kickstarter backers?

Edit: I also have a MailChimp signup field on all of my pages.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Has anyone tried to find a manufacturer overseas? I launched a successful Kickstarter for a little electrical engineering widget and have been packing the kits by hand myself. However this is no fun for the long term. I was overwhelmed by manufacturers when I launched the Kickstarter but I'm not sure if I should even try using one of them. All I'm really hoping for is to pay someone else to put several different components into a bag, repeat the process a ton of times, and then mail me the bags so that I can finish the kitting/shipping myself.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

Motronic posted:

Alternately, if these are common components have you considered checking if one of the component supply houses in the US would do this for you? Packing components is kinda their jam. I'm talking Mouser/DigiKey/Jameco.

Just to clarify, I would be able to say something like "I want 10 of part A, 2 of part B, and 1 of part C per bag. I would like to place an order for 100 bags"? If so, where should I look, I'm poking around those websites and don't see anything.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

meatpotato posted:

Please follow up if Digikey or Mouser can handle your request, I'm curious to know how it goes.

Both Digikey and Mouser specialize in small orders and consequently their markup is huge. If you're spending several tens of thousands of dollars on components to make your kits then you might want to look at other distributors that specialize in bulk.

I don't know any distributors to name, I'm very much a noob at this stuff. The company I work for lets our CRM find components for us except when they gently caress it up somehow.
Through crazy luck, I have discovered my coworker operates and does assembly/manufacturing as a side business in China and he said I could get quotes from him. I'll let you know if that doesn't work out and I try to check out Digikey.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I'm trying to move my product from Kickstarter to store shelves. I contacted the big three companies I thought who might be interested. X got back to me and a guy John Smith was interested and had some questions about manufacturing and I answered them. He said it might be a good fit and that the person, Sally Jones, handles this stuff and she'd get back to me next week to follow up. Two weeks went by, I followed up with John but didn't hear anything back and it's been a week. Should I follow up again?

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

Gounads posted:

Yes, Weekly follow ups are more than reasonable. Ask for Sally's direct number.
I sent a follow up email on Wednesday last week, still no response. I'm pretty sure I could guess the person I'm supposed to contact's email address. Should I send another email to my point of contact or try and contact the other person directly?

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

huhu posted:

I sent a follow up email on Wednesday last week, still no response. I'm pretty sure I could guess the person I'm supposed to contact's email address. Should I send another email to my point of contact or try and contact the other person directly?

Ended up trying the address, it was correct, and now I'm in talks with the right person!

This leads to a new issue I'd love to hear thoughts on. I've got about $500 left over from my Kickstarter. If I start selling to the retailer, I'll need money to buy merchandise. I also think it's about time I form an LLC to protect myself, which costs about $500. What could be some ways to resolve this dilemma?

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I am talking with a manufacturer/assembler about taking over part of the responsibility for my product. I currently pay $1.91 for components per product and do the cutting to size of some of the components myself and do the bagging. With this, I wouldn't have to bag or cut to size, and everything would be RoHS compliant. How do I even begin estimating how much I should make as a first offer in terms of payment?

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

Motronic posted:

Why would you be making the first offer?

Don't do that. You are asking for a service quote. Don't screw yourself.

Good point. I've passed the ball back to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Thanks to the Kickstarter community, I never really had to bother with attracting customers to buy my product. Now that my Kickstarter is over and I have an electronic storefront on Tindie, I'm realizing that I need to figure this out.

Do you guys have any resources I should check out either in book or video form?

• Locked thread