Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horseticuffs
Oct 8, 2001

I remember halloween.
If you like horror movies in even a small way, I wholeheartedly recommend "Night of the Living Podcast". They've been doing this poo poo since like 2006, and are old friends who record by turns in each others' houses so the chemistry is incredible.

http://www.palavr.com/NOTLP/

I'm quite new, only having listened for a month or two, but I'm going through their backlogs at a heady pace and currently have like 16 episodes I'm plowing through this weekend on my iPod. The crew is just hilarious and they seem to publish like clockwork so new episodes are nice and dependable.

You'll learn of so many new movies you haven't seen yet that you want to watch, but it'll be a hard decision because that will just be more time you AREN'T listening to the episode backlog. Really, all jokes aside, it's a great way to keep up and be entertained.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.

cioxx posted:

Buddhist Geeks if you're into the whole Buddha thing but don't like the boring parts.

Thanks for mentioning this. I've always had an interest in this kind of stuff, but most of the podcasts I've heard on the matter have been insufferable. I'll definitely check this out.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
My favorite podcast right now, since I have barely heard any of the show is Snap Judgement NPR's storytelling hour with a beat.

Can anyone recommend any quality serial adventure podcasts? I'm not too particular on the genre but I'd like to listen to something similar (though more contemporary) to the old radio dramas people used to have.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Can anyone recommend any quality serial adventure podcasts? I'm not too particular on the genre but I'd like to listen to something similar (though more contemporary) to the old radio dramas people used to have.

Have you tried either The Thrilling Adventure Hour or Mike Detective?

Zelmel
Sep 17, 2004

O brain new world, that has such ganglia in't!

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I like Second Shift, which ended recently (I still have 3 episodes to go). It's fantasy, and starts a little rough as it was originally a bunch of college students doing it, but the production gets really good by the end and it has a well developed setting and characters.

On that note, suggestions for more sci-fi/fantasy podcast serial dramas would be very appreciated.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I'd like to recommend the Preston and Steve podcast. They're a morning radio show from my hometown of Philadelphia and I've always loved them.

You can find most of their podcasts here http://prestonandsteverock.com.

A personal recommendation are http://prestonandsteverock.com/2005/07/, July 1 2005, they do their first annual Drunk Show, where two members of the cast get wasted on air as a deterrent to July 4th drinking and driving. It ends with a slap fight, one member getting kicked out, a drunk tricycle race as well as other things.

I know many people hate radio morning shows, and I totally understand but I really enjoy these guys and hope you can give them a chance.

Treguna Mekoides
Jun 17, 2008

A witch is always a lady except when circumstances dictate otherwise.
If anyone loves old-timey radio shows or atmospheric horror/mystery as a genre, might I suggest Wormwood: A Serialized Mystery?

Now, I admit, I haven't listened to much of this yet, but a friend turned me onto it and it's really quite entertaining and interesting while feeling comfortable, like a favorite, oft-rewatched film noir or Vincent Price flick. It does, however, have a small whiff of Lovecraft self-awareness geekery to it, even early on, so if that's not your thing, perhaps steer clear.

mrbasehart
Jul 19, 2010
If you like history podcasts, then I'll go ahead and recommend A History of the World in a 100 Objects.

Produced by the BBC last year, the curator of the British Museum selects 100 objects within its walls and uses them as a sort of guide through the course of human history. Every episode is about 10-20 minutes long, so it's not incredibly in-depth, but the guy and his guests speak with obvious passion and intelligence everything.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

My favorite podcast right now, since I have barely heard any of the show is Snap Judgement NPR's storytelling hour with a beat.

I was excited when this show first arrived on KOBP (my local NPR station,) but quickly tired of Washington's needlessly theatrical speaking style. I love plenty of the stories--even the hosts', when he's storytelling instead of hosting--I just wish we could listen to it without Glynn.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

ClydeUmney posted:

Have you listened to The Tobolowsky Files? It's stories about movies and life told by Stephen Tobolowsky, who's probably most famous as Ned Ryerson from Groundhog Day. Tobolowsky manages to tell incredible stories about moviemaking (his episodes on Deadwood and Groundhog Day are amazing and compelling), but his best work starts as a story about one thing and becomes something incredibly different and profoundly moving. Both podcasts about Mississippi Burning are incredible for this.

I just want to chime in and re-recommend this podcast. Stephen Tobolowsky is such a great storyteller, and seems to be an all-around great guy. You'd be doing your heart and mind a service by checking them out.

Another recommendation for a podcast that I wish would update more is Ask Mr Biggs.

It's a partly-written, partly-improvised comedy show based around 2 radio hosts, Roger and Mr Biggs, as they host a general call-in show. Roger is the meek and mild straight-man to Mr Bigg's boisterous and know-it-all personality.

Aside from how well the two play off of each other, the best part of the show is, for me, the fact that none of the calls are 'real'. I mean, they're real, but they're from other shows. The guys behind AMB have taken those calls, edited out the original host, and have practically redone the whole thing. The subjects and conversations that come from this are loving phenomenal, and I strongly urge anyone who's interested in laughing at things that are funny to check them out.

I've posted this a few times before, in other 'recommend me a podcast' threads, but no one's replied to second it, or even that they've checked it out. I'm going to assume it's because everyone's already listening, and knows that it'd be pointless to preach to the choir. :colbert:

EDIT: I actually started with episode 17, in which Mr Biggs simplifies digital TV. Check it out here.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Portable Staplefrog posted:

Mysterious Universe is exactly what you want.

Thanks for this, I like it so far. I like that they're not really skeptics or believers, they just sort of put stuff out there. Might pony up for the plus version.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
Another good podcast for creepy stuff is The Paranormal Podcast. It can be a bit goofy and should definitely pick and choose which ones to listen to.

Admittedly, the host is a bit of a true believer on a lot of things, but he has just enough distance to keep things interesting. I personally suggest avoiding anything to do with ghosts or UFO's. but that's more because of the nutjobs who tend to put themselves up to be interviewed about the subjects than anything else.

The Bob Curran episodes are particularly good because he's mostly just spouting folklore, which I eat up like it's candy.

Yes, most of it is bullshit but it's at least interesting bullshit. Highlights for me have included a woman who believes werewolves are real and really just extra-dimensional creatures that possess powers we don't understand (she was hilarious and it was great listening to the host squirm at what a nutjob she was), a few episodes about the possibility of ancient Americans pre-dating accepted archeological theories about when Native Americans came here, and a guy who pulled the rug out from under your average psychic by talking about how he spent years as one and how it was all just a matter of being observational and talkative.

Anyone know if there's a good source for straight up folklore? I have been reading every bit of it I can find over the last year or two while I work on a book. I've even read some academic books on the subject, so I'm fairly obsessed and not afraid of dry material.

Geekboy fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Oct 8, 2011

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

I want more things similar to This American Life. Especially ones where they use radiojournalistic techniques (e.g. intersplicing narration and quotes) to tell stories about regular people, or just stories of weird things that don't normally make it to the news.

E: really, if it reminds of of TAL at all, let me know. I need more TAL.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

dik-dik posted:

I want more things similar to This American Life. Especially ones where they use radiojournalistic techniques (e.g. intersplicing narration and quotes) to tell stories about regular people, or just stories of weird things that don't normally make it to the news.

Do you listen to Radiolab at all? Think of it as TAL: :science: edition.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

dik-dik posted:

It's been mentioned a couple of times but you could do worse than checking out the The Tobolowsky Files. At first I wasn't that into it and thought it was a bit dry and dull, but then I realised that was probably because I was expected a "celebrity anecdote" type podcast. And while it kind of is, it's got more of a thoughtful introspective tone that reminded me a little of stuff like This American Life. Once that clicked I enjoyed it a lot more.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

"Too Much Information" is very TAL-esque.

Wheeze
Jul 31, 2007

If you're in to video games, A Life Well Wasted has a kind of TAL feel to it. Even if you're not into games you might like it. There aren't many episodes and it hasn't updated in a while, but what's there is really good.

The Memory Palace also kinda reminds me of very short TAL stories. They tend to be focused more on history and they don't do interviews, though.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
So after the earlier talk about history podcasts I'm left yearning for a decent American history related podcast.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

CommunistMojo posted:

So after the earlier talk about history podcasts I'm left yearning for a decent American history related podcast.

My History Can Beat Up Your Politics is a very good podcast that takes current political events/issues and overlays them on the rest of American history. If you're a fan of Hardcore History you'll like it.

Fame Throwa
Nov 3, 2007

Time to make all the decisions!
I recently finished going through Writing Excuses, are there any other good podcasts about writing? It'd be especially awesome to find one about writing comics since I have a comic I'm working on right now.

If you're interested in weather, I highly recommend you check out Weatherbrains. I usually watch it for the guests because they are always really interesting, but the hosts have all been meteorologists for years, so hearing about their work is really cool too.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
I Should Be Writing is about the only other writing show I can stand, but it's almost a blog really. Most writing podcasts I've listened to have been awful.

There's also a series of recordings called Odyssey that are nice. They're lectures from a yearly conference/writing program.

I can track down links if you need them, but all I have access to post from at the moment is my iPod, so it's a bit of a pain.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
It's a little different from the current questions, but what is everyone using to download their podcasts? I would assume most people use iTunes, but it always felt really slow to use. Most other podcast downloaders are for Linux, from what I see.

I've used Juice Reciever in the past and it works pretty well, once you figure out the interface.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

bbcisdabomb posted:

It's a little different from the current questions, but what is everyone using to download their podcasts? I would assume most people use iTunes, but it always felt really slow to use. Most other podcast downloaders are for Linux, from what I see.

I've used Juice Reciever in the past and it works pretty well, once you figure out the interface.

Juice is also what I use, because I absolutely hate iTunes for windows, and since I don't have an iPod, there's really no need for me to even have it installed.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

bbcisdabomb posted:

I've mostly switched to iTunes since I got an ipod touch recently, but before that (and still for a lot of things), I use their RSS Feeds, subscribed and tracked using Feed Reader. http://www.feedreader.com/ It can automatically download "enclosures", the podcast mp3s associated with the podcast feed updates, and has a lot of options for configuring the time and frequency of update checks, whether or not to download things on its own, etc.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Does anyone know of a good sound design podcast, specifically for game audio? Any podcast for sound would do, but if you know of a game-related one would be great.

EDIT: I found this http://www.gameaudiopodcast.com/, but can't listen right now. Any fellow audio goons out there know of any that are worth a drat?

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Oct 23, 2011

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:
I need to recommend Losing the Sheen.

It's described as the only Two and a Half Men fancast for people who don't watch Two and a Half Men. Justin from My Brother, My Brother and Me and his wife, who never saw a single episode of Two and a Half Men prior to Aston Kutcher joining the cast, force themselves to watch each week and provide really funny reviews mainly focusing on how painfully unfunny TV's Favorite Comedy is.

Anyone that has ever been deeply confused and somehow distressed by the popularity of TaaHM (when they themselves watched it once and didn't so much as smile during the entire episode), will appreciate this.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

SammyWhereAreYou posted:

It's described as the only Two and a Half Men fancast for people who don't watch Two and a Half Men. Justin from My Brother, My Brother and Me and his wife, who never saw a single episode of Two and a Half Men prior to Aston Kutcher joining the cast, force themselves to watch each week and provide really funny reviews mainly focusing on how painfully unfunny TV's Favorite Comedy is.

Anyone that has ever been deeply confused and somehow distressed by the popularity of TaaHM (when they themselves watched it once and didn't so much as smile during the entire episode), will appreciate this.

I have never watched TaaHM since like, years ago and I love this cast. I love them calling the kid 'Half-Man' and trying to invent elaborate reasoning for why he's not there and all.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

Glitterbomber posted:

I have never watched TaaHM since like, years ago and I love this cast. I love them calling the kid 'Half-Man' and trying to invent elaborate reasoning for why he's not there and all.

I hope Syfy gets wind of this and decides to film a pilot for The Halfman Chronicles.

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

I just started listening to The Smartest Man In The World and holy poo poo is it great. Remember that one dude from Whose Line Is It Anyway? Tall, skinny, curly hair? No not Ryan, the other one. Yeah. Greg Proops. This is him doing a live show of completely over the top cynical history, politics, pop culture, music, classic movies, weed, weed smuggling, and whatever other insane ramblings rolls off his tongue. Seriously worth listening to.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-smartest-man-in-the-world/id401055309

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.

SammyWhereAreYou posted:

Thank you for this. There are times listening to this that I have to stop whatever I'm doing because I'm laughing too hard.

For my own request, I just started listening to podcasts as of literally two days ago when I started listening to Watch Out For Fireballs (which is great, by the way). I'm just looking for what are the general "popular" podcasts for a newbie to podcasts. If there's a thread for this that I missed, that'd be awesome too. Generally I like comedy, pop culture, video games, and blends of all that...I grabbed some of the history podcasts posted here as well. Thanks!

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

Spincut posted:

For my own request, I just started listening to podcasts as of literally two days ago when I started listening to Watch Out For Fireballs (which is great, by the way). I'm just looking for what are the general "popular" podcasts for a newbie to podcasts. If there's a thread for this that I missed, that'd be awesome too. Generally I like comedy, pop culture, video games, and blends of all that...I grabbed some of the history podcasts posted here as well. Thanks!

As far as comedy podcasts go,(can't help ya out much with the other stuff)you could use the same resource I did: Comedy Podcast Megathread - Like radio, but with the C-word. Decent descriptions are give of the most popular podcasts.

The only correct choice is Uhh Yeah Dude, though. Just listen to UYD.

EDIT: UYD covers a lot of popculture also, and The Nerdist brings comedy to all kinds of nerd culture.

HoAssHo fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Oct 25, 2011

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I got a fancy new iPhone a few weeks ago, and quickly discovered that Instacast is an amazing podcast manager and well worth the meager $2 asking price. It even does Airplay. I really recommend it.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.

SammyWhereAreYou posted:

As far as comedy podcasts go,(can't help ya out much with the other stuff)you could use the same resource I did: Comedy Podcast Megathread - Like radio, but with the C-word. Decent descriptions are give of the most popular podcasts.

The only correct choice is Uhh Yeah Dude, though. Just listen to UYD.

EDIT: UYD covers a lot of popculture also, and The Nerdist brings comedy to all kinds of nerd culture.

Thanks for this! Picked out some great ones (including The Smartest Man in the World which is loving hilarious, and Uhh Yeah Dude, which is also great).

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

Song For The Deaf posted:

I got a fancy new iPhone a few weeks ago, and quickly discovered that Instacast is an amazing podcast manager and well worth the meager $2 asking price. It even does Airplay. I really recommend it.
I got this and tried it out, and reporting back that it's really great. It can automatically import the podcasts you're already subscribed to in itunes as long as you have an episode physically on your device for it to examine, and makes it really easy to find, try out, and subscribe to new casts in the app. It can stream and download episodes easily, without any extra effort for either case.

The only thing it's lacking for me is the ability to import mp3s directly through itune's file sync, for podcast mp3s you get that aren't available in an official podcast rss yet, for example this happened all the time with Breaking Bad's official podcast, where it'd be possible to download it sometimes three or four days before they'd remember to update the rss/itunes feed.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Myrmidongs posted:

I just started listening to The Smartest Man In The World and holy poo poo is it great. Remember that one dude from Whose Line Is It Anyway? Tall, skinny, curly hair? No not Ryan, the other one. Yeah. Greg Proops. This is him doing a live show of completely over the top cynical history, politics, pop culture, music, classic movies, weed, weed smuggling, and whatever other insane ramblings rolls off his tongue. Seriously worth listening to.

This is really, really good.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Does anyone know of a good sound design podcast, specifically for game audio? Any podcast for sound would do, but if you know of a game-related one would be great.

EDIT: I found this http://www.gameaudiopodcast.com/, but can't listen right now. Any fellow audio goons out there know of any that are worth a drat?

Quoting myself, but this pretty much is the be-all, end-all podcast for video game audio. Real sound designers/composers from ACTUAL AAA game companies are invited as guests/co-hosts, and I'm just geeking out over here because of it.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

What are some other comedy podcasts with just 1 or 2 hosts and no guests like Uhh Yeah Dude, The Bugle and Complete Guide to Everything?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

mistermojo posted:

What are some other comedy podcasts with just 1 or 2 hosts and no guests like Uhh Yeah Dude, The Bugle and Complete Guide to Everything?

Walking the Room (occasional guests)
TOFOP (occasional guests)
Mike and Tom Eat Snacks
Rock Solid (more music than comedy)
The Smartest Man in the World

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

Whenever my body starts to feel sick, I just stop being sick and be awesome instead.

Myrmidongs posted:

I just listened to the most recent episode at lunch today and consider me loving subscribed because it was one of the funniest goddamn things I've listened to in a long time. Surprisingly educational, too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

bazaar apparatus posted:

I just listened to the most recent episode at lunch today and consider me loving subscribed because it was one of the funniest goddamn things I've listened to in a long time. Surprisingly educational, too!

Agreed. Interesting and informative! Def going on my favorites list.