Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Another recommendation for a podcast that I wish would update more is Ask Mr Biggs.

It's a partly-written, partly-improvised comedy show based around 2 radio hosts, Roger and Mr Biggs, as they host a general call-in show. Roger is the meek and mild straight-man to Mr Bigg's boisterous and know-it-all personality.

Aside from how well the two play off of each other, the best part of the show is, for me, the fact that none of the calls are 'real'. I mean, they're real, but they're from other shows. The guys behind AMB have taken those calls, edited out the original host, and have practically redone the whole thing. The subjects and conversations that come from this are loving phenomenal, and I strongly urge anyone who's interested in laughing at things that are funny to check them out.

I've posted this a few times before, in other 'recommend me a podcast' threads, but no one's replied to second it, or even that they've checked it out. I'm going to assume it's because everyone's already listening, and knows that it'd be pointless to preach to the choir. :colbert:

EDIT: I actually started with episode 17, in which Mr Biggs simplifies digital TV. Check it out here.

For some reason I personally feel bad that no one has replied to your recommendation yet. I'm only just checking this out now because improv/scripted podcasts aren't really my thing. Comedy Bang Bang has it's moments, but it's not a must-listen for me.

It's...cute? and inventive and definitely not bad, but it's probably only to the taste of people who like this kind of thing to begin with.

On the other hand, this:

Myrmidongs posted:

I just started listening to The Smartest Man In The World and holy poo poo is it great. Remember that one dude from Whose Line Is It Anyway? Tall, skinny, curly hair? No not Ryan, the other one. Yeah. Greg Proops. This is him doing a live show of completely over the top cynical history, politics, pop culture, music, classic movies, weed, weed smuggling, and whatever other insane ramblings rolls off his tongue. Seriously worth listening to.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-smartest-man-in-the-world/id401055309

is extremely up my alley, and thanks for reminding that I never got around to checking it out. I just listened to the latest episode and I'm all in.

Ugh. There's just too much good poo poo out there to listen to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet
I want to throw out some blanket recommendations.

Caustic Soda

Every week they take a topic about something dangerous, gross, scary or something like that and discuss all the aspects of it, recent news, pop culture, history. Last few episodes have been: Halloween, Axes, Flies/Maggots, Dystopias, Bacteria. The hosts are pretty knowledgeable in what they talk about, if not all of them at least one will be. When they do have guests they get ones who are usually experts/students in their field and will actually contribute to the conversation and often times, the guest will actually be funny.

My favorite guest episode is Near Earth Objects with Universe Today/Astronomy Cast host Fraser Cain.

The Complete Guide To Everything

Every week they take a topic and name an episode after it, and sometimes they even talk about it. Mostly it's a venue for Tom to talk about his mundane trips to Starbucks or Tim talking about getting a haircut. They don't pre-read anything, they aren't very smart, they argue all the time, they don't research anything and they always sound like they just had an argument before hitting record. Is it funny? HOLY poo poo YES. I'm constantly cracking up while listening.

My favorite episode is Holiday Movies, the first maybe 10 minutes of it are the funniest bit of podcasting I've ever heard. Then later they discuss how hosed up Home Alone 1 and 2 are.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

bazaar apparatus posted:

I just listened to the most recent episode at lunch today and consider me loving subscribed because it was one of the funniest goddamn things I've listened to in a long time. Surprisingly educational, too!

It is the only non-technical podcast I have ever discovered and then downloaded the full archives of. Only 28 episodes to go before I'm caught up! :shepface:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

SammyWhereAreYou posted:

It's...cute? and inventive and definitely not bad, but it's probably only to the taste of people who like this kind of thing to begin with.

Well, the way I look at it is, if you've ever heard really bad local radio, then AMB would probably appeal to you more than others. Then again, about 50% of people I know enjoy AMB. Those who love it, REALLY love it, myself being an example.

It's weird, but I find the same sort of thing with Kids in the Hall (off-topic, I know...); I loving love them, a lot of my friends do, and then some people, who, yes, have a sense of humour, watch the show and just don't 'get it'. There's not much to get, I like it because, even for minor characters, they seem to put so much effort into perfecting every nuance, and I find that both Roger and Biggs are played the same way. To me, everything is done just so well that I love it. Not saying it's the best podcast out there, but it's definitely my favourite.

I'm a sucker for things that build up their own ... urgh, can't think of a better word than 'mythology', even though that's totally wrong. Listening to AMB, you could see a place like Whizzbangs existing, and being run by a guy like Biggs, and it being totally mismanaged. I can picture someone like Roger going home and ironing his socks, and I can practically see Biggs sitting there in a huge purple track suit.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

mistermojo posted:

What are some other comedy podcasts with just 1 or 2 hosts and no guests like Uhh Yeah Dude, The Bugle and Complete Guide to Everything?

Bill Burr's Monday Morning Podcast and The 40 Year Old Boy are both 1-man shows.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

indigi posted:

Bill Burr's Monday Morning Podcast and The 40 Year Old Boy are both 1-man shows.

Except the 40 Year Old Boy is loving unlistenable because of that silly bitch in the background giggling at every goddamn word Schmidt says.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Anything similar to The Smartest Man in the World? I'm liable to run out of shows this weekend at work and I don't want to go without any further edularity.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
I enjoyed Kevin Smith's Buckaroo Banzai panel. Peter Weller and John Lithgow who were both pretty cool. It's under the Smoviola banner at SIR.

I know Kevin Smith has a hell of a lot of haters here to the point that his CineD thread puts him in similar territory to Tim Buckley and George RR Martin. But I actually like his stuff when he's not just talking about himself which is, unfortunately pretty rare. When he's hosting panels or has guests I tend to enjoy his podcasts. So stuff like Smoviola, ABC of SNL and even some Per Diem's with good guests (and I usually skip every thing until the guest arrives).

Given how big it's getting it's kind of suprising there isn't a SIR thread yet. But maybe no one is brave enough to make one.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

Gravy Jones posted:

So stuff like Smoviola, ABC of SNL and even some Per Diem's with good guests (and I usually skip every thing until the guest arrives).

I'm dying for more ABCs of SNL. Hearing Jon Lovitz talk about the dreadful 1985 season was some of the most interesting podcast stuff I've listened to this year. Even if he never gets Lovitz to come back, there are dozens of SNL alumni whose backstories I'd love to hear.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Thanks to My Brother My Brother and Me I found Tim and Simon's Brain Spill. This podcast is great, it's just two english dudes being crazy about no topic in particular, sprinkled with fake ads. The episodes are short, almost too short really, they all bump around the 25 minute mark. If you like a bit more random humor without dipping into 'LOL MONKEY CHEESE' levels, and don't bleed at the ears hearing two english guys giggle at eachother, you should totally give it a listen.

twinight
Aug 25, 2004

Mescal posted:

I was excited when this show first arrived on KOBP (my local NPR station,) but quickly tired of Washington's needlessly theatrical speaking style. I love plenty of the stories--even the hosts', when he's storytelling instead of hosting--I just wish we could listen to it without Glynn.

You might like The State We're In. Was led there initially by Snap Judgement. The host/interviewer is very mild mannered, and the format is typically simply him interviewing people from around the world their assorted stories. I've found it reliably fascinating.

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

Gonna have to put Sick and Wrong out here. Listeners submit the most disturbing news items that they can find each week, the two hosts select three and then the audience votes to see which story wins. The banter between Dee and Lance is great and they will segue into various random topics.

I've been listening to it for years, and it's definitely a favorite.

elisaaa
Mar 30, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
There are so many video game podcasts I don't know which are worth listening to. I do really like The Indoor Kids. What others are good?

Also I love Answer Me This, I have yet to check out the comedy podcast thread (I literally just discovered this subforum) but comedy + random interesting facts is awesome.

Fergazon
Dec 6, 2011
Fgghhh

Kabraxis
Mar 22, 2003

Well I guess it's lucky for me I'm not unarmed. Seeing as I'm....eating your beans.

elisaaa posted:

There are so many video game podcasts I don't know which are worth listening to. I do really like The Indoor Kids. What others are good?

Also I love Answer Me This, I have yet to check out the comedy podcast thread (I literally just discovered this subforum) but comedy + random interesting facts is awesome.

Check out the giantbomb cast. It's informative and typically pretty funny. In my humble opinion you should check out Idle Thumbs. They sadly don't do new episodes, but it is goddamned amazing. I can't recommend Idle Thumbs enough though.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

bbcisdabomb posted:

It's a little different from the current questions, but what is everyone using to download their podcasts? I would assume most people use iTunes, but it always felt really slow to use. Most other podcast downloaders are for Linux, from what I see.

I've used Juice Reciever in the past and it works pretty well, once you figure out the interface.

Honestly I'm a huge nerd and have a Subsonic setup running in a little VM at home. It not only snags my podcasts but lets me hit the rest of my media in my huge sperglibrary via Flash streaming. I must say it is sweet to catch the latest podcasts then hop over and listen to some tunes or watch some sitcoms, all via a browser. If you want to get intricate with your setup, I recommend playing with it. Since it saves the podcasts to configurable folders, you can also use it as an archival tool.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
I've mentioned it before, but Instacast for iPhone helped me break my podcasts away from a computer. Everything is on my phone, downloads automatically, and everything about it is customizable.

I then use a program called AirFoil to make my computer an AirPlay target, but only if I want to hear something out of big speakers (which is becoming exceedingly rare).

It's not for everyone, but Instacast is a really powerful app for $2.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Jay Dub posted:

I'm dying for more ABCs of SNL. Hearing Jon Lovitz talk about the dreadful 1985 season was some of the most interesting podcast stuff I've listened to this year. Even if he never gets Lovitz to come back, there are dozens of SNL alumni whose backstories I'd love to hear.

Good news! According to the latest SModcast, there's another episode in the can.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax
Can anyone reccomend podcasts similar to the F Plus podcast, which is making fun of stupid people on the Internet, such as Isitlegal.com and TV Tropes? It pretty funny but the production value needs some work.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Jefferoo posted:

Can anyone reccomend podcasts similar to the F Plus podcast, which is making fun of stupid people on the Internet, such as Isitlegal.com and TV Tropes? It pretty funny but the production value needs some work.

Can't help you but I'm listening to it right now because you just totally recommended it!

Lou Reads is a goon-made podcast where, well a guy named Lou reads poo poo from the internet, usually bad things, he doesn't comment on it like the F Plus guys, but he has a good voice and it's fun to hear him groan and react to the worst stuff.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
A shot in the dark, but I'm looking for something like a Hardcore History style breakdown of the Salem Witch Trials. Any suggestions?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I just listened to all of Out of the Past, a film noir podcast, and loved it. I love the subject matter, but I think what I loved even more was the tone: academic, educational, not trying to be funny, but with lots of interesting pieces of information.

I also loved that it was just two guys talking about the subject, and I think after Radiolab and this I realize I like that dynamic most for a podcast.

Specifically I want to know if there are any other good film podcasts out there that are more about film analysis than current film news/reviews, and approach the subject academically. Bonus points for anything that's about b-movies, film noir, or film history (i.e. unproduced screenplays, alternate versions of films, etc), too.

e: Or just any podcasts that strike that tone about an interesting subject.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jan 8, 2012

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
Can anybody recommend a good baseball podcast? Something like The Basketball Jones, where they break down the headlines and scores on a regular basis.

mrbasehart
Jul 19, 2010
ESPN's Baseball Today is pretty good. It's only once a week or so at the moment, but during regular season is on every week day.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

JFC posted:

For tech news coverage TWiT.tv has a bunch of good stuff like This Week in Tech, Mac Break Weekly, Frame Rate (about TV & Movies), Windows Weekly, Tech News Today, etc.

Their FOSS one seems very server/programming focused, sadly.

I wish they'd have something along the lines of a Weekly discussion podcast for the Ubuntu/etc desktop crowd, and so I guess I'm requesting one if anybody knows of. A few months ago on TWiT Leo let loose a Vader style "NOOOOO" when Tom Merrit mentioned the release of Ubuntu 11.10, so he probably dislikes the whole concept.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Is there anything that even comes close to A Life Well Wasted in the world of games podcasts?

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
An article on Slate.com has a recommendation for a German language program available here.

I was curious if anyone has a good recommendation for a Spanish language program.

edit: I'm going to try one called "Coffee Break Spanish," available free on iTunes (and since it is freely distributed, it is available via torrent).

nocal fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jan 18, 2012

Dancing Potato
May 21, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

I just listened to all of Out of the Past, a film noir podcast, and loved it. I love the subject matter, but I think what I loved even more was the tone: academic, educational, not trying to be funny, but with lots of interesting pieces of information.

I also loved that it was just two guys talking about the subject, and I think after Radiolab and this I realize I like that dynamic most for a podcast.

Specifically I want to know if there are any other good film podcasts out there that are more about film analysis than current film news/reviews, and approach the subject academically. Bonus points for anything that's about b-movies, film noir, or film history (i.e. unproduced screenplays, alternate versions of films, etc), too.

e: Or just any podcasts that strike that tone about an interesting subject.

I've listened to a few episodes of The Projection Booth which is close to what you're looking for, but the sound quality is maddeningly bad, considering he has pretty interesting and high-profile guests.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Kind of a weird question, but does anyone recognize this podcast: It dealt with skeptic and science stuff, and it had quite a few hosts all at once. A few men and women. I think some of them were related.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
The Skeptic's Guide to the Universe?

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

Bill Moyers has a podcast out called Moyers & Company that has for the first few episodes been doing in-depth stories on how bankers are huge sacks of poo poo, and how politicians are equal if not more huge sacks of poo poo for not doing what needs to be done to fix things.

Website here

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Song For The Deaf posted:

The Skeptic's Guide to the Universe?

Aha! That was it.

Jefferoo posted:

Oh my god thank you for F Plus. This is amazing.

MinionOfCthulhu fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Feb 1, 2012

Meatlong Football
Feb 11, 2008

Myrmidongs posted:

Bill Moyers has a podcast out called Moyers & Company that has for the first few episodes been doing in-depth stories on how bankers are huge sacks of poo poo, and how politicians are equal if not more huge sacks of poo poo for not doing what needs to be done to fix things.

Website here

Thanks for that. Bill Moyer's is the best american journalist I can think of and I mourned the day he stopped doing the Journal on PBS.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Zelmel posted:

I like Second Shift, which ended recently (I still have 3 episodes to go). It's fantasy, and starts a little rough as it was originally a bunch of college students doing it, but the production gets really good by the end and it has a well developed setting and characters.

On that note, suggestions for more sci-fi/fantasy podcast serial dramas would be very appreciated.

Giving this reply a bump to say thanks. I listened to the first two episodes (the pilot or what have you) and it's obviously rough, but better acting comes through in parts, so I'll keep with it.

Anyway, this isn't quite a podcast, but if you're looking for more audio drama, especially in the sci-fi category, give a listen to I Love Bees. It was the audio drama that accompanied the ARG back when Halo 2 came out, but the drama itself doesn't really require knowledge of either game to get. The only exception is at the tail end, when there's a fairly obvious plot dump that serves mostly to link the drama to the ARG. It's not on iTunes, but the MP3s can be downloaded here.

The only recommendation I'll throw out right now is Pseudopod, the horror short story podcast. The stories are usually pretty good, with good narration. The only problem is the host - he's got a good voice for the show, but his attempts to be Rod Sterling at the end come off as unbearably cheesy. Just press stop as soon as the story ends.

I'll renew the request for any other serial stories - I appreciate the ones linked earlier, but I'd love some good dramas or similar (admittedly, I haven't listened to the others, but they're listed as comedies.)

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008
Can anyone recommend a mixer? Obviously on a minuscule budget, so bare-bones enough to put a few gaming headsets together is all we need.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Myrmidongs posted:

Website here

More props for pointing this podcast out. Each episode so far has been fantastic, if incredibly disheartening.

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006
I was hoping that someone could recommend me a biblical podcast, something that really studies the bible as a piece of literature and explains biblical idioms and cultural references that a 21st century person might not understand. This is something that has been difficult for me to look for on my own, as most podcasts on the bible seem to focus more on "how to apply Christ in our lives," rather than "how to understand the Bible and what it's writers were trying to say."

Basically I'm looking for a bible study podcast for non-christians I guess.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Has anyone else had an issue with TWIT large-size video podcasts no longer syncing to their iPhone? I'm guessing they changed encoding settings or something.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

SoR Blaze posted:

I was hoping that someone could recommend me a biblical podcast, something that really studies the bible as a piece of literature and explains biblical idioms and cultural references that a 21st century person might not understand. This is something that has been difficult for me to look for on my own, as most podcasts on the bible seem to focus more on "how to apply Christ in our lives," rather than "how to understand the Bible and what it's writers were trying to say."

The Online Yale University course is pretty amazing, but it only covers the Hebrew Bible (more or less the Old Testament): http://oyc.yale.edu/religious-studies/rlst-145
It analyses the different source authors, times written and edited, text styles, meaning (political, social and theological) and reasoning behind the different books of the OT. It also compares them to religious texts of other groups and religions in the region and how and why they are different/similar.

They also have one for the New Testament, but I haven't listened to it yet: http://oyc.yale.edu/religious-studies/rlst-152

Decius fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Feb 21, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008

SoR Blaze posted:

You would really enjoy Robert M. Price's The Bible Geek.
http://www.robertmprice.mindvendor.com/biblegeek.php

Keep in mind he's also a big advocate of Christ myth theory, as well as revisionist biblical editing, so just keep in mind that's the lense he approaches things. That said he is very objective.