Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Does anyone have any recommendations for anime-related podcasts? I've been listening to the ANNcast and Anime World Order for a couple years now, but the former is real hit-and-miss based on their guest for the week, and the latter really only updates a few times a year at this point.

It doesn't really matter if its currently airing-based or just poo poo talking. I just need something else to listen to at work.

Rincewind posted:

Comparing Hardcore History's Death Throes of the Republic to The History of Rome's episodes about the same period was really interesting, since they both emphasized slightly different things, and they both conveyed their narrative of the period in a really different way.

I really like Dan Carlin, but he did crib a big part of the death throes of the republic shows from Rubicon, by Tom Holland. He credits the book whenever he references it, but I remember listening to the first couple episodes of that after reading the book and I didn't get that much new out of it.

My favorite episode of Hardcore History is the one that focuses on the Mongols, which has unfortunately been pushed into the paid episodes at this point. I think it's worth two bucks, though. That one and the Macedonian Soap Opera episode are what got me into Hardcore History.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.
I just want to throw out that I'm really happy that You Look Nice Today is making new content again. I've been listening to it whilst plaing Diablo 3 and there have been more than a couple times where I died from laughing too hard to pay attention to the game. It's a great, utterly silly podcast.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I just want to share the podcasts I listen to regularly. They've all found that sweet spot between professional good content and casual fun banter between the hosts.

Radio Free Skaro
The second biggest Doctor Who podcast. Podshock is bigger and gets invited to official con panels etc.. But I prefer RFS because they aren't shackled by a close association with the Doctor Who people and be frank and critical. They are also dyed-in-the-wool fanboys of Old Who. In lulls they'll pick a random obscure producer or writer and watch his material with him in mind. It's really quite far down the rabbit who in DW fandom and it's great! They are charming, funny and come across as pretty normal folk.

The Dice Tower
The biggest board game podcast. Two hosts both good but Tom Vassal is pretty much the meat of the show. He's been on since the beginning and is a very good reviewer. The board game hobby can get pretty splergy and he provides a reasonably sane voice on the industry. They talk everything from individual components to cons and designers to the state of the hobby. It's very consistent from the beginning (well, maybe in the 20s).

Intelligence Squared
Intellectuals debate serious matters. It doesn't talk down to you and is pretty real in terms of what the actual issue is. This is refreshing because network news is often well off the mark because of 'the narrative' blah blah blah. It *is* a debate so you do get a lot of points getting dropped but hey, this kind of thing keeps the mind sharp.

Partially Examined Life
The only philosophy podcast I can actually listen to. Seriously, everybody else seems to think they have to talk like the equivalent of a Kant text. It's cheerful but deep. The length is good (1:30 hours) and the hosts are lucid and quick.

Already known by pretty much all of you-podcasts:

This American Life
It's got a thread in RGD so I'll just give it an abstract interpretation:
Warm stories told amongst friends during supper. Cosy and like a dark hot chocolate on a cold day.

Loveline
If you've seen the thread but never bothered to click on it because we all have threads like that, refrain no more! It's extremely informative and funny. Kinda makes me weirdly nostalgic to live in small town America in the 90s. I mean, it would probably have been a bit poo poo but whatever. The best episodes are from the late 90s/early 2000s so in retrospect they all have this different-time-different-way-of-seeing-the-world vibe. Being gay was OK but most people didn't want marriage. 9/11 hadn't happened, the internet was scary, and Linkin Park were the business.

All the above podcasts are at least an hour. A long podcast is a good podcast.

Can anyone recommend a good travel/backpacking podcast? Thanks.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.

Lampsacus posted:

I just want to share the podcasts I listen to regularly. They've all found that sweet spot between professional good content and casual fun banter between the hosts.

The Dice Tower
The biggest board game podcast. Two hosts both good but Tom Vassal is pretty much the meat of the show. He's been on since the beginning and is a very good reviewer. The board game hobby can get pretty splergy and he provides a reasonably sane voice on the industry. They talk everything from individual components to cons and designers to the state of the hobby. It's very consistent from the beginning (well, maybe in the 20s).

Partially Examined Life
The only philosophy podcast I can actually listen to. Seriously, everybody else seems to think they have to talk like the equivalent of a Kant text. It's cheerful but deep. The length is good (1:30 hours) and the hosts are lucid and quick.

Already known by pretty much all of you-podcasts:

This American Life
It's got a thread in RGD so I'll just give it an abstract interpretation:
Warm stories told amongst friends during supper. Cosy and like a dark hot chocolate on a cold day.

Loveline
If you've seen the thread but never bothered to click on it because we all have threads like that, refrain no more! It's extremely informative and funny. Kinda makes me weirdly nostalgic to live in small town America in the 90s. I mean, it would probably have been a bit poo poo but whatever. The best episodes are from the late 90s/early 2000s so in retrospect they all have this different-time-different-way-of-seeing-the-world vibe. Being gay was OK but most people didn't want marriage. 9/11 hadn't happened, the internet was scary, and Linkin Park were the business.

All the above podcasts are at least an hour. A long podcast is a good podcast.

Can anyone recommend a good travel/backpacking podcast? Thanks.

Ooh, thanks for some of these. The Dice Tower and Partially Examined Life sound interesting. I also need to get around to listening to This American Life, geez.

Can anyone recommend any tabletop gaming podcasts? I listened to some episodes of Fear the Boot or something like that, and they talked about every game except what I play (D&D 4e) and I got turned off when the one offhand remark they made about it basically made them seem like they knew nothing about it but just knew they didn't like it which seemed silly. Thanks!

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy
This may not be exactly in the scope of this thread but are there any free podcast/RSS apps for Android that are less terrible than Google Listen, because Google Listen does something to infuriate me at least once a day

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I'm using Google Reader and haven't had much to complain about. App's free on the Marketplace.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Thelonius Van Funk posted:

This may not be exactly in the scope of this thread but are there any free podcast/RSS apps for Android that are less terrible than Google Listen, because Google Listen does something to infuriate me at least once a day

I gave up on Listen a month or two ago and I'm still frustrated every time there's a pause in conversation because I've been trained to think it means Listen had stopped for reasons unknowable. I can't believe I put up with that piece of poo poo for over 2 years. I gave the 7 week DoggCatcher trial a run and decided that I spend enough time listening to podcasts that dropping a few bucks on a decent app was a worthwhile investment.

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

I find that BeyondPod is pretty drat good for Android. There's a free version that limits you to downloading one episode at a time and a few other locked features, or it's only 5 bucks to unlock all of this.

I have been using it since Feb., and it's stable and allows good categorisation.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
I've been using the free version of podkicker for a while now with no problems at all.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Convexed posted:

I find that BeyondPod is pretty drat good for Android. There's a free version that limits you to downloading one episode at a time and a few other locked features, or it's only 5 bucks to unlock all of this.

I have been using it since Feb., and it's stable and allows good categorisation.

This is what my friends and I use. I haven't had any problems with it and it has all the features I want.

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy
I'm trying BeyondPod right now and it's pretty much exactly what I was looking for

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
Here's a question to podcast-o-philes ... Most podcasts are done once per week, and that seems to be the norm. The one I am a part of is different in this aspect, as we have decided that instead of one lone hour-and-a-half podcast, to actually release a half-hour version on Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

The thoughts on this are:

A) People get drained listening to a podcast for that long and you end up losing people before the podcast reaches it's conclusion. People won't hear the tail end and that sucks!

B) People like to listen to podcasts during commutes, and a half-hour seems to be a good amount of time in which people are in their cars, on the bus, however they listen.

and

C) It gives a chance for guests we have on the show to have the podcast they are on to be about them, instead of them clumped in with a bunch of different people.

What are your guys' thoughts on this?

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I think it's a fine idea, but if they're being recorded together, I would toss them together in the archive. That is, finish the week, then take the three small episodes and put them all back together for people that are listening through your archives.

Which reminds me of my favorite thing that very very few podcasts do (Fear the Boot, Non-Canonical, and MajorNelson's Xbox podcast are the only ones that readily come to mind) - chapter your podcast! Either stick longish music breaks between segments, long enough for me to tell when I'm jumping around when I'm hitting a break, or put the times when you transition segments in the description so I can look at it with my iPhone. Makes the entire thing much more enjoyable, since sometimes I won't want to slog through a segment, but there may be good/interesting stuff afterwards.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
The only podcast I listen to is The Partially Examined Life. It's the only philosophy podcast I've found so far where they actually discuss and wrestle with the text, rather than do some interviews or talk about news sort of stuff.

Would anyone happen to know of more podcasts like PEL? It doesn't necessarily have to do with Philosophy, but podcasts where people get into involved and fairly high-level debates over issues or discussions of texts? I really enjoy listening to the thinking process at work.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
I recently started listening to Judge John Hodgman and it's pretty drat funny. It's basically Judge Judy but with a bespectacled nerd as judge. Two people come on with a grievance or argument or whatever and John talks to them to find out details and renders his verdict. It's a lot funnier than it sounds. The only thing I don't like much is the shillery for MaximumFun.org podcasts, which only bothers me since it's usually in the middle of the podcast rather than at the beginning or end so it's more annoying to skip.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

DrSunshine posted:

The only podcast I listen to is The Partially Examined Life. It's the only philosophy podcast I've found so far where they actually discuss and wrestle with the text, rather than do some interviews or talk about news sort of stuff.

Would anyone happen to know of more podcasts like PEL? It doesn't necessarily have to do with Philosophy, but podcasts where people get into involved and fairly high-level debates over issues or discussions of texts? I really enjoy listening to the thinking process at work.
Yay, a fellow PEL listener ^_^
here:
In Our Time with Melvyn Bragg
On the Media
Intelligence Squared Podcast

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I recently started listening to Judge John Hodgman and it's pretty drat funny. It's basically Judge Judy but with a bespectacled nerd as judge. Two people come on with a grievance or argument or whatever and John talks to them to find out details and renders his verdict. It's a lot funnier than it sounds. The only thing I don't like much is the shillery for MaximumFun.org podcasts, which only bothers me since it's usually in the middle of the podcast rather than at the beginning or end so it's more annoying to skip.

If you haven't already you should give some of their other podcasts a listen. My Brother, My Brother, and Me and Throwing Shade are both amazing.

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

I just wanted to say, since it's not really appropriate to any other thread I saw, that Fatman on Batman is far and away the best podcast on the "Smodcast" network that Kevin Smith runs. Mostly because Kevin Smith isn't constantly talking. it just premiered, and you should check it out if you're a Batman fan.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

spouse posted:

Mostly because Kevin Smith isn't constantly talking.

This goes for most of his podcasts. I actually really like him as an interviewer/presenter. The SNL stuff is really good, most of the movie round tables. When he has an interesting guest on his morning show I'll download that and will just fast forward to when the guest shows up. For all his faults he is really good at getting other people getting them relaxed enough to open up and talk pretty candidly about stuff.

I'll check it out.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
I still think the first fifty or so Smodcast episodes are really funny, but it fell off a cliff around the time Zack and Miri came out.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Randallteal posted:

I still think the first fifty or so Smodcast episodes are really funny, but it fell off a cliff around the time Zack and Miri came out.

I personally feel it got better a bit after that (a good bit, mind you). I used to hate on Smith but I've gotten back into his podcasts and realized he's still the normal petulant manchild, who happens to also be super funny when he's not being a big baby, as always. It's just that at this stage of life he's surrounded himself with enough people to help him realize 'oh, right, I can't just grumble about critics I should try entertaining people'.

Fatman on Batman, though, is amazing. Smith is a great interviewer (really, knock his personality all day but the dude has a skill at conversation) and Batman is something he's a huge fan of so there's genuine enjoyment there. Mark Hamill was his guest for the two most recent ones and it is downright delightful to listen to them talk.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Is there a thread where we can talk about the technical side of podcasting? Over the years myself and my housemate have accumulated a ton of gear, so we're buying more (naturally) and want to put it to use in as many ways as possible. My friend used to do a podcast, and is coming to visit for 2 days next month so I'd love to have a rig in place for him to do a new episode.

In the room we have a ton of computers, a PBX system (for phone calls in/out), a Yamaha 16 channel mixer, an SM58 (not ideal I know, but hopefully we can lay our hands on more miss), audio interfaces, minidisc recorders etc as well as the usual decks, cd players.

We've only had the desk for < 24 hours so would love to talk about best ways of running it in this environment, what group/auxillery options to use and other techniques to get something pro sounding out of our stuff.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
A couple of people have suggested threads before, I don't know if anyone made one. I think part of the problem is this forum isn't that high traffic to begin with and a lot of people probably stick to the megathreads for specific shows so it might just sink without a trace. Part of the problem is that it could also exist in the A/V Arena, Creative Convention or DIY and Hobbies. Again relatively low traffic forums.

I'm happy to have that kind of thread here though if you want togive it another shot.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Sounds good to me, cheers. I'll try put an OP together then people can contribute their experiences/recommendations that I can put in there too, so it goes from a 'Help me to...' to a 'Here's how to...' over a period of time.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
I love history but I'm not much of a scholar. I like the look of Hardcore History but do I need to have a lot of background going in? Is it the best history podcast, or is the one from howstuffworks good too?

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

CelestialScribe posted:

I love history but I'm not much of a scholar. I like the look of Hardcore History but do I need to have a lot of background going in? Is it the best history podcast, or is the one from howstuffworks good too?

No you don't need to know anything going into Hardcore History, you just need a lot of time to burn listening.

Surprised we don't have a Hardcore History thread actually.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I think I asked before, but what are some comic book podcasts that don't suck rear end? My bar is pretty low for rear end sucking, really, all I ask is a room full of hosts who can go five minutes without talking about how much they want to bone Power-Girl and have a bit of a more light hearted view than the serious hardcore 'well in issue 305 the Fantastic Four jet had controls on the left, but now it has them on the right, I hope they address this serious error'?

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Glitterbomber posted:

I think I asked before, but what are some comic book podcasts that don't suck rear end? My bar is pretty low for rear end sucking, really, all I ask is a room full of hosts who can go five minutes without talking about how much they want to bone Power-Girl and have a bit of a more light hearted view than the serious hardcore 'well in issue 305 the Fantastic Four jet had controls on the left, but now it has them on the right, I hope they address this serious error'?

iFanboy is hosted by geeks but they have a sense of humor and the format is very polished; it's quick (about an hour a week), and they run down most of the major new releases. It's mainly big 2 focused but they do talk about higher profile independent stuff. My favorite is 11 O'clock Comics, but some people (validly) criticize them for going too long about needless poo poo no one cares about that isn't even related to comic books. But honestly I've discovered so many smaller-print books through that podcast I'm tempted to send them money or something as a finder's fee. The Distinguished Comic Book Podcast is hosted by two pretty normal-sounding guys and is quite good as well.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

tooooooo bad posted:

No you don't need to know anything going into Hardcore History, you just need a lot of time to burn listening.

Surprised we don't have a Hardcore History thread actually.

I've thought about making a catch-all Dan Carlin thread for HH and Common Sense (does anyone here listen to Common Sense?), but after my last thread attempt sank like a stone I've been kind of wary.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Jay Dub posted:

I've thought about making a catch-all Dan Carlin thread for HH and Common Sense (does anyone here listen to Common Sense?), but after my last thread attempt sank like a stone I've been kind of wary.

I think a general Historical/Informative Podcast catchall thread could work really well and help people find non-comedy special interest podcasts.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

feedmyleg posted:

I think a general Historical/Informative Podcast catchall thread could work really well and help people find non-comedy special interest podcasts.

Yeah, that's probably a better way to do it.

I know there's tons of stuff out there, but don't know enough of it well enough to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Incidentally, while I love listening to Neil deGrasse Tyson talk science, his StarTalk podcast is so goddamn overproduced. It feels like half the show is nothing but ads, bumpers and segment breaks.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Glitterbomber posted:

My podcast, BJ Shea's Geek Nation (https://www.bjgeeknation.com) isn't a completely comic-centric podcast, but we have a comic writer (Brandon Jerwa) who has some insights into comic books and also brings on a lot of his co-workers in the industry.

We have 90 episodes you can download straight from https://www.bjgeeknation.com stream it from the site and get it on iTunes.

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

:frogout:
I really like listening to people debate who are at least ostensibly well-informed a-la Real Time with Bill Maher about all kinds of issues. Basically any debates that aren't just retardedly one-sided or talking points without any real information. Can anyone recommend some podcasts that offer contending viewpoints on popular issues on a regular basis?

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Intelligence Squared by NPR.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
One of my favorite podcasts, Extra Hot Great, will be ending in a few weeks. That made me realize that it's my only pop culture podcast not presented by professional comedians, and I think I'll miss that. While comedians aren't bad, I liked just having regular people talk about stuff, without trying to constantly be funny or what not, or with the undercurrent of trying to sell me on their latest TV show or CD or standup.

So, any general pop culture podcasts y'all can recommend?

rockamiclikeavandal
Jul 2, 2010

The best history podcast I have found is "In Our Time" from BBC4. The show is about everything but they also sort their archives by history, philosophy, science, etc. You can find it on itunes or on the main site:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qykl

Edit:

Also if you are a science/engineering nerd check out Omega Tau. It talks about satellite buses, designing roller coasters, the LHC, and all sorts of stuff. They're simple interviews with scientists and the like and it is awesome. Half the episodes are in german and half in english.
http://omegataupodcast.net/category/podcast-en/

rockamiclikeavandal fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jul 8, 2012

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Can anyone recommend a paranormal podcast? I listen to a lot of dry political and philosophy casts but and could really do with something irrational and mysterious. Bermuda Triangle, Coast to Coast AM stuff. Thanks!

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

Mysterious Universe is pretty much exactly like Coast to Coast AM.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Myrmidongs posted:

Mysterious Universe is pretty much exactly like Coast to Coast AM.
Cheers, Myrmidongs. I've also found Weird Things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum
Couldn't find a more related thread to ask this but why isn't there a Radiolab thread?

It's like This American Life but with more effort put into it.