Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

rockamiclikeavandal posted:

The best history podcast I have found is "In Our Time" from BBC4. The show is about everything but they also sort their archives by history, philosophy, science, etc. You can find it on itunes or on the main site:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qykl

I've ran out of hardcore history to listen to so I've been working my way through some of these. I like the show but I do with it was a bit longer. It always feels very rushed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth.
I really like progressive comedy shows (Jimmy Dore Show, David Feldman Podcast) does anyone have any others to recommend?

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

I've really been grooving on Welcome to Night Vale. What are some other good radio drama-esque podcasts?

Finklemeyer
Oct 29, 2004
Pants?
I promise you I'm talking about podcasting. Were you all nervous the first time? I've sat down to record my first episode three times now and every time I stumble around and sound so unprepared that I quickly end the recording and quit for the next 2-3 weeks before the vicious cycle starts again.

I've tried recruiting a co-host but the only nibble I've had is my wife and she's mostly doing it because she's amazing and wants to support my wild ideas. This really isn't her thing.

Thoughts? Tactics? Drink recipes?

ACS
Apr 30, 2009

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I was thinking of making a thread about The F Plus because it's awesome. Anyone who reads and/or posts in the kinds of threads that pop up here that make fun of insane poo poo (Malatoria, TVTropes, ect) would love it.

Someone should, it deserves it's own thread. I started listening to it because of this thread, and I think it's the funniest podcast I've ever heard. Great great loving show.

rockamiclikeavandal
Jul 2, 2010

Drunkboxer posted:

I've ran out of hardcore history to listen to so I've been working my way through some of these. I like the show but I do with it was a bit longer. It always feels very rushed.

Yeah, it's pretty limited by the time constraints. If you want some serious depth you should look into getting some stuff from the teaching company.

LizzieBorden
Dec 6, 2009

She's hackin' and wackin' and smackin'
She just hacks, wacks, chopping that meat

Does anyone else like the ghost stories of M R James? If so, you'll love A Podcast to the Curious

Also, Monster Talk, a science podcast about monsters.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
I'm a huge fan of spill.com. Any recommendations for some like-minded awesome podcasts? Particularly their long-form discussions like Let's Do This! or geek discussions like The League of Extremely Ordinary Gentlemen.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

Benny the Snake posted:

I'm a huge fan of spill.com. Any recommendations for some like-minded awesome podcasts? Particularly their long-form discussions like Let's Do This! or geek discussions like The League of Extremely Ordinary Gentlemen.

Maybe give Overthinking It a try? The articles they post on their website are hit or miss, but the podcast is pretty similar to what I think you're looking for. I'm big fan of this podcast just for some of the weird tangents/topics the panelists take.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Are there any good podcasts talking about the causes/impacts of climate change? I've been searching for something that goes further than the small bits I was taught about in school, and have pretty much come up blank.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

JonBent0000 posted:

Does anyone else like the ghost stories of M R James? If so, you'll love A Podcast to the Curious

Also, Monster Talk, a science podcast about monsters.

This is pretty good but I wish the audio was better. It's clearly just a couple of people chatting on Skype.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Any recommendations of a tech news podcast that isn't hosted by iPhone fanboys?

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

nexus6 posted:

Any recommendations of a tech news podcast that isn't hosted by iPhone fanboys?

The Vergecast always seemed pretty balanced to me. I mean you're not going to find a tech journalist worth a drat who thinks that the iPhone is objectively a bad phone, because it's not, but the Vergecast definitely respects other devices. Hell, I think one of the guys on there still wants Windows Phone to succeed. Of course, it leads to letdowns a lot (one of the guys was super hyped for the Note tablet and then did a scathing review of it on the Verge because it was garbage), but when a good device comes along they definitely give it proper due.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

abraham linksys posted:

The Vergecast always seemed pretty balanced to me. I mean you're not going to find a tech journalist worth a drat who thinks that the iPhone is objectively a bad phone, because it's not, but the Vergecast definitely respects other devices. Hell, I think one of the guys on there still wants Windows Phone to succeed. Of course, it leads to letdowns a lot (one of the guys was super hyped for the Note tablet and then did a scathing review of it on the Verge because it was garbage), but when a good device comes along they definitely give it proper due.

This assuming that you can deal with everyone on it basically never letting one another finish a sentence without interrupting them and Joshua Topolsky screaming over all of them at any given opportunity.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
As far as I can tell that is an issue on literally every tech podcast ever, so I've learned to deal. It seems like they usually get to the points they were making eventually anyways :v:

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

abraham linksys posted:

I mean you're not going to find a tech journalist worth a drat who thinks that the iPhone is objectively a bad phone, because it's not,

I initially started listened to the TWiT news podcast and, while I appreciated its short format, every single one of the hosts is an iPhone user, only ever sang its praises and only spoke of the negatives of other smartphones. For example they spoke about how iOS 6 will allow them to reject incoming phone calls with a text message, something I have been doing on my HTC phone since I got it in May.

I just want to hear about headlines and brief views without iPhone this and Apple that in every single story.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I distinctly remember there being a thread for the ricky gervias podcast (but it could have been in tviv or some thing I suppose).

I think this is a seminal podcast, that while really silly influenced so many of todays casts and really blew open the medium of podcasting as a thing that could be taken seriously.

It's one of the few casts I regularly go back and listen too and genuinely laugh at.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
Can anyone recommend some good podcasts on medieval history?

I've listened to Hardcore History's episode on the subject; just wondering what else is out there.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
I can't tell whether this is the thread for technical questions or not, but I hope it is:

What is the best way to publish a podcast on facebook? I know how to get an RSS feed to post to facebook just fine, but it all it ends up doing is posting the title and description and a link to the direct mp3 file which is a less than ideal form of doing that. I would like something akin to soundcloud's embedded player.

Basically, is there an app/series of apps/programs I can use to make it so that whenever I update my RSS with a new mp3, it automatically pushes it to facebook as an embedded sound aka can play right off of facebook?

I'm not hopeful only because even huge podcasts like WTF do not seem to have this feature (that particular facebook page is quite confusing)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Jay Dub posted:

Can anyone recommend some good podcasts on medieval history?

I've listened to Hardcore History's episode on the subject; just wondering what else is out there.

'12 byzantine rulers' by Lars Brownworth and 'Norman Centuries' are both excellent.

For a good tech podcast from the security/hacking/wikileaks/Anonymous angle Risky Buisness is great.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Helical Nightmares posted:

'12 byzantine rulers' by Lars Brownworth and 'Norman Centuries' are both excellent.

I'll throw in another vote for these as well. Brownworth does/did both of them, so you could probably find them in the same spot.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Couple recommendations:

Slate Political Gabfest - Smart people talk about politics.

Slate Cultural Gabfest - Smart people talk about culture.

NPR Pop Culture Happy Hour - Like the above but somewhat better IMHO.

Via the Slate Culture Gabfest I also got to know The History of English, a really great well presented discussion about the remote past(for now) of the English language. It's detailed enough to be fascinating without being too dry and academic.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Helical Nightmares posted:

For a good tech podcast from the security/hacking/wikileaks/Anonymous angle Risky Buisness is great.

What about any other history podcasts, outside of this, Hardcore History, The History of Rome, and The China History Podcast?

Is there a good one on Ancient Greece? Or Japan? Or European imperialism/trade/Age of Discovery? Or, really, I'd be into anything extensive and interesting enough.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

feedmyleg posted:

What about any other history podcasts, outside of this, Hardcore History, The History of Rome, and The China History Podcast?

Is there a good one on Ancient Greece? Or Japan? Or European imperialism/trade/Age of Discovery? Or, really, I'd be into anything extensive and interesting enough.

History of Rome is great. China History Podcast is OK, I have a feeling the guy is spreading himself a bit too thin sometimes but he sure is enthusiastic. I don't really like Hardcore History. The guy has some odd political views and his style of presentation is kind of weird with strange pauses and stuff.

It was recommended in another thread but NPR's Backstory is great for American politics, although there aren't that many episodes yet.

My history can beat up your politics is also pretty good but a lot of it is really...arcane stuff dealing with American political history that can be a hard slog if it's not your thing.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Throatwarbler posted:

Couple recommendations:

NPR Pop Culture Happy Hour - Like the above but somewhat better IMHO.

Seconding this. It's filled the void in my life that the death of Extra Hot Great left, and it's just plain fun.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Are there any podcasts made by people with pleasant, soothing voices? A lot of podcasts I'm interested in (Hardcore History etc) have great content but I hate how the presenters sound.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

This might be an odd request but are there any podcasts in the style of the old pulpy radio shows?

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Len posted:

This might be an odd request but are there any podcasts in the style of the old pulpy radio shows?

The Thrilling Adventure Hour is great.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Len posted:

Not quite a 'radio show' like Thrilling Adventure Hour captures, but if you want old pulp stories pretty well narrated you can't go wrong with Protecting Project Pulp, a part of the District of Wonders network which also has a sci fi, horror, and crime noir story podcast.

I don't remember if Relic Radio's network did their stuff in the proper radio play way or if it was just read stories as well, but they also had a pulp show I believe.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Three episodes into this and so far I'm loving it.

Edit: It even has cast members I've heard of before. This episode has John Dimaggio doing his Joker voice I think.

Len fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Sep 25, 2012

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
So I'm looking for a new podcast, specifically a car show. I listen to a bunch of comedy podcasts(The Mike O'Meara Show, Big O and Dukes, Sklarbro Country, Doug Loves Movies, Comedy Bang Bang), and I don't really want a super serious car guy discussion, but I don't just want an e/n podcast by a car guy, like Adam Carolla's podcast. I just want car news and funny car stories, maybe the occasional car help segment or something. Can anyone recommend anything that I might like?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

The Muffinlord posted:

So I'm looking for a new podcast, specifically a car show. I listen to a bunch of comedy podcasts(The Mike O'Meara Show, Big O and Dukes, Sklarbro Country, Doug Loves Movies, Comedy Bang Bang), and I don't really want a super serious car guy discussion, but I don't just want an e/n podcast by a car guy, like Adam Carolla's podcast. I just want car news and funny car stories, maybe the occasional car help segment or something. Can anyone recommend anything that I might like?

Car talk might be what you want.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

The Muffinlord posted:

I don't like Car Talk really, I don't really get the humor, and I actively hate Adam Carolla because he's an unfunny racist moron.

I do like:

Gareth Jones on Speed. Bunch of British car guys, they even write and perform their own automotive themed music. A lot of it is European motorsports/F1, though, which Americans might not follow.

Autoline, specifically the "After Hours". It's not humor per se but more like an industry talk show, the host is a pretty well connected automotive journalist and his co-host use to be a somewhat senior guy at General Motors, their panel will include another heavy hitter, usually like the editor of Motor Trend or something like that, and their always have great and insightful interviews with authors and industry bigwigss like Ralph Gilles, or the head engineer or designer of a particular brand.I love it to death, but it might be a little too serious for you.

Also the Autoblog podcast, every week for a nice little round up of news.

I've tried pretty much every other car podcast out there and they're all poo poo.

langurmonkey
Oct 29, 2011

Getting healthy by posting on the Internet
I really love More or Less http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/moreorless. It's an entertaining look at statistics that are in the news (really). Recently topics include how many pictures of the Queen have been made, and whether there are really only 100 cod left in the North Sea.

All the episodes are less than ten minutes long.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

I'm new to RGD, but this seems to be the most appropriate place to ask.

I'm part of the staff on a gaming video site that showcases gameplay, let's plays, achievements and some text stuff among other things game related. long story short, I now have hosting duties. Any tips or suggestions from people who've done this for a while? Most technical details are taken care of. I.e. everyone has a decent mic, we know how to record, clean up the audio, that kind of stuff. So commentary is what I'm really interested in learning about.

I'm listening to the latest Giantbomb podcast to learn how the pros do it, and well, they've been talking about facial hair for over three minutes so that idea kinda went out the window.

Anyway, my topic lineup looks like...
Site updates
New game releases
What are you playin'?
Industry news/announcements

Aiming for 20-40 minutes.

Fame Throwa
Nov 3, 2007

Time to make all the decisions!
Can anyone recommend me some good LGBT-related podcasts? I already listen to Savage Love and Throwing Shade (which is totally awesome btw), and I'm looking for some good podcasts that discuss those issues more in depth.

Akaadji
Nov 7, 2008
Have any new podcasts popped up in the style of Lou Reads and F Plus? I've gone through the archives of both and love some of the stupid poo poo they find to read.

The other thing I'm wondering about is if there are some good animal podcasts. Whether they're educational or more entertainment based, I just want to listen to people tell me about animals.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.

rizuhbull posted:

I'm part of the staff on a gaming video site that showcases gameplay, let's plays, achievements and some text stuff among other things game related. long story short, I now have hosting duties. Any tips or suggestions from people who've done this for a while? Most technical details are taken care of. I.e. everyone has a decent mic, we know how to record, clean up the audio, that kind of stuff. So commentary is what I'm really interested in learning about.

Make a show that you would want to listen to. Learning how to do this means listening to a bunch of shows and figuring out what works.

More than 4 people on a show is a nightmare, avoid it.

Try and differentiate yourself SOMEHOW. Why would someone listen to you instead of the thousands of other options available?

Don't be a robot about staying on topic... Digressions about facial hair humanize you, and makes you more than bleep bloop VIDEOGAMES people. People listen to podcasts because they like the personalities behind them. Reading reviews and news is much quicker than listening to a podcast of any length.

No matter what length you say you're aiming for, water will find its level, and that means you will wildly overshoot whatever time limit you set. Don't stress about it.

Your goal as a host is to talk less than whoever you're on the show with. You want to facilitate, always know what topic is next, and feel the conversation and know when to change the topic. You were likely put into the host position for some kind of reason, so hunt down your voice and work on it every time.

Don't sweat the numbers. Watching the numbers, especially when you start out, can be a loving bummer. Recognize that the market is so fragmented that if you pull a few hundred downloads a week, that's really good. Once you get to a place where the numbers don't bum you out, start watching them and see if changes you make affect them (did you spend more time on WRUP? Was this a show where we talked about a huge release? Was this bummer of a dude co-host out sick and people liked that he was gone?).

Don't do scummy things to promote your show. Facebook, Twitter, and ads on sites like SA help tremendously. Google Adwords, Reddit, and spamming people don't. It's not how many people you reach, but how many you can hook. Quality listeners will pay dividends.

Sorry about the brain barf. Hope it helped somehow.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
If anyone has some sort of podcast RSS feed and is subscribed to Planet Money, have you been getting a ton of dud, repeat updates from them lately? It feels like once an hour I'll get a new posting from them that's nothing more than an article title- no actual text or a link to anything is included. It's really annoying and I can't figure out why it spits out all this junk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PackOfHighly
Oct 24, 2012
There's good shows at FrogPants Studios but specifically I'd recommend two.

The one I never miss is The Morning Stream. It is a morning show with all that implies, but it's very nerd-centric in subject matter.

The other one is Filmsack. It adds two people to the Morning Stream line-up and looks at what's compelling about cheesy movies that can usually be found on netflix.

If I'm not listening to one of those two I'm usually listening to back-episodes of what is in my gross estimation the best comic/pop-culture podcast out there: Major Spoilers. One part professor, one part stereotypical works-in-a-comic-book-shop guy, and one part I-only-read-what-we're-reviewing, they have one structured episode during the week, and one open discussion episode on the weekends. The structured one includes 3-4 reviews of a recent or soon-to-be release and one group-review of a collected edition.

PackOfHighly fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Oct 29, 2012