Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
James Urbaniak of The Venture Bros. fame has recently begun a podcast, entitled Getting On with James Urbaniak, and I must find more like it. Anyone have recommendations for eclectic readings in a similarly subdued yet suave voice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guidos Python
Sep 7, 2009
Does anyone know any podcasts that are like the Distorted View show, ie comedy shows with a single host.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Cugel the Clever posted:

James Urbaniak of The Venture Bros. fame has recently begun a podcast, entitled Getting On with James Urbaniak, and I must find more like it. Anyone have recommendations for eclectic readings in a similarly subdued yet suave voice?

The Paul F Thompkins is sort of similar.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

feedmyleg posted:

The Paul F Thompkins is sort of similar.

The tragic loss of Jen Kirkman still smarts.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
This might be an odd thing to bring up but does any one use itunes on a pc (I'm guessing quite a few of you)?

It makes so much noise for some reason? I use steam for all my games and I download other stuff from the web but never does it make my hardware work what so ever?

What is it about itunes?

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
I used iTunes on multiple (library) PCs and none of them caused any noise. Try asking the good folks over at SH/SC?

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Are there any good political podcasts with a comedic slant out there? I love The Bugle and I've been looking for other podcasts like it.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Maduo posted:

Are there any good political podcasts with a comedic slant out there? I love The Bugle and I've been looking for other podcasts like it.

Jimmy Dore's Comedy and Everything Else talks about politics a lot, but it's more like a comedy podcast with gratuitous amounts of political ranting. Actually that's one reason I eventually gave up on it, because while I share his political outlook, he plainly just doesn't know a lot about some of the stuff he's ranting about and listening to it was getting tedious.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Sorry, for actual irreverant political podcasts, there is NPR's It's all Politics and Slate's Political Gabfest.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Wasn't there a Radiolab thread around here somewhere, or do I need to start one?

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Mescal posted:

Wasn't there a Radiolab thread around here somewhere, or do I need to start one?

I started one: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3517441

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Maduo posted:

You could try No Agenda but YMMV, they can get pretty :tinfoil: at times though it often leads in humorous directions.

Also, Planet Money's new habit of posting a dozen blank updates to my Reader feed each day finally pays off-

Trier
Aug 8, 2011

Stupid Newbie
Anybody know of any local or state-wide news & politics podcasts concerning Oregon and / or the Portland area? I'm kinda desperate to fill out my bus-ride timeslot with something like that.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Trier posted:

Anybody know of any local or state-wide news & politics podcasts concerning Oregon and / or the Portland area? I'm kinda desperate to fill out my bus-ride timeslot with something like that.

Not really politics or news, but if you want some local flavor, try Funemployment Radio. I had to stop listening because with so many podcasts I just didn't have time for one that drops 5 one-hour+ episodes a week, but it's a fun show.

Trier
Aug 8, 2011

Stupid Newbie

FitFortDanga posted:

Not really politics or news, but if you want some local flavor, try Funemployment Radio. I had to stop listening because with so many podcasts I just didn't have time for one that drops 5 one-hour+ episodes a week, but it's a fun show.

Yeah, "local flavor"'s a good way to put what I'm looking for, thanks a lot

More recommendations would be nice, especially something about local news / state politics.

Trier fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Nov 21, 2012

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
I'm subscribed to Spill.com podcasts thru itunes. I had to delete the most recent League of Extremely Ordinary Gentlemen, and now I can't seem to re-download it. Not thru Itunes. I can't find the podcasts thru Itunes and when I click on the download link on the podcast site page, Quicktime opens it. It used to be VLC and I could save it onto my computer, but not with Quicktime. How can I re-dowload this podcast? Perferably thru my Itunes, since I like my podcasts nice and organized.

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007
Anyone else here listen to the Filmdrunk Frotcast? If not, I recommend it. Tangentially about movies, it veers into standup comedy, MMA, various sports, butt chugging, Parry Gripp songs, and fecal transplants.

Its meandering and ridiculous and pretty drunken

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

C-Euro posted:

You could try No Agenda but YMMV, they can get pretty :tinfoil: at times though it often leads in humorous directions.

I think how much you enjoy No Agenda really depends on what you want out of your political podcasts. If you want to be informed or want reasonable analysis (and you're not a :tinfoil: libertarian nutjob), then you're going to hate it. If you want to listen to some really likable and funny hosts share their (often political) insanity, then it's pretty entertaining.

JuulPodSaveAmerica
Aug 29, 2012
Has anyone listened to the Cort and Fatboy Show? I listened to their podcast daily about two years ago, and it was pretty entertaining.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm guessing this is the closest thread to relevancy for this, as I'm not aware of any Twitter threads still in the forums, but who else is reading the @JeShirt thing over the last week? Run by Jason Woliner of Human Giant, it's provided me with plenty of laughs and my referencing of the late, great Leonard Pilk as a 'gollum' caused our CEO great offence, much to my amusement.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Is there anything else out there like Stuff You Missed in History Class? I tried Stuff You Should Know but I can't handle the boring, droning hosts. I just blazed through Stuff You Missed after getting over my aversion to short-format podcasts, so, outside of History of the World in 100 Objects, if it's short I probably haven't heard of it. I also wouldn't mind a longer format show like In Our Time, but I've finished that recently as well and I listened to all of Hardcore History ages ago.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Dec 7, 2012

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

feedmyleg posted:

Is there anything else out there like Stuff You Missed in History Class? I tried Stuff You Should Know but I can't handle the boring, droning hosts. I just blazed through Stuff You Missed after getting over my aversion to short-format podcasts, so, outside of History of the World in 100 Objects, if it's short I probably haven't heard of it. I also wouldn't mind a longer format show like In Our Time, but I've finished that recently as well and I listened to all of Hardcore History ages ago.

Gosh, I could have written above. Sums everything up for me perfectly. I was even about to suggest History of the World in 100 Objects.

One thing I can recommend that's not exactly history related, but is short and interesting, is 99% Invisible. It touches on some recent history but it's about design. Some recent examples: A Bucky dome, Kowloon Walled City, pneumatic tube systems in Paris, the Tacoma Narrows Bridge, and when someone was killed over a dental patent. But I'm still 200 episodes behind in Stuff You Missed, 300 episodes in Stuff You Should Know, and 75 episodes behind in 100 Objects, so I have a while before I need to worry about finding new history stuff. :)

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Any recommendations for a dude who really likes Roderick on the Line?

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
Any recommendations for an interview podcast?
I just know one german podcast, where some guy interviews journalists, hair dressers, world travellers etc. and I am looking for something like that in english.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

AstroWhale posted:

Any recommendations for an interview podcast?
I just know one german podcast, where some guy interviews journalists, hair dressers, world travellers etc. and I am looking for something like that in english.

Fresh Air and The Treatment are great. Terry Gross and Elvis Mitchell are two of the best interviewers around.

What's the German podcast called? I'd like to listen for the sake of language practice.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
I just found out that there's a new episode of Ask Mr Biggs from about two weeks ago after nearly a whole year without them releasing anything. This show is so funny, I wish they did episodes more often.

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009

Mescal posted:

Fresh Air and The Treatment are great. Terry Gross and Elvis Mitchell are two of the best interviewers around.

What's the German podcast called? I'd like to listen for the sake of language practice.

Thanks for the answer.

The podcast is: http://www.wrint.de/category/holger-ruft-an/
You can dig through the archives. My favourites were the episodes about South India, the 2012 conspiracy and the more recent one about Congo.

Edit:
I looked through ITunes and "Die Sendung mit der Maus" has a podcast. :3: I don't think there is a better way to learn a language than watching Kid's Tv shows. Also you will learn something.

AstroWhale fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Dec 22, 2012

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Are there any good science podcasts or iTunes U series' about chemistry and organic chemistry like when Walt gets going on chemistry in Breaking Bad?

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

AstroWhale posted:

Thanks for the answer.

The podcast is: http://www.wrint.de/category/holger-ruft-an/
You can dig through the archives. My favourites were the episodes about South India, the 2012 conspiracy and the more recent one about Congo.

Edit:
I looked through ITunes and "Die Sendung mit der Maus" has a podcast. :3: I don't think there is a better way to learn a language than watching Kid's Tv shows. Also you will learn something.

Danke.

rotinaj posted:

Are there any good science podcasts or iTunes U series' about chemistry and organic chemistry like when Walt gets going on chemistry in Breaking Bad?

I don't have an answer but you reminded me of something. If you're interested in the drugs aspect of the show, check out an itunes U class from UC Berkeley. It was a psych class, I don't remember the number, called Drugs and Behavior with Prof David Presti, if I remember right. There's a little bit of chemistry in there, but not much. When I was interested in the subject I thought that class was great.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
One of my favorite weekly podcasts has got to be Talking Toons With Robert Paulsen because it gives me such a nostalgia rush since a lot of the people he talks with are from cartoons that I watched as a kid in the mid-late 90s to the early-mid 2000s.

His interview with Mark Hamill was especially good and I think the show deserves more fans/exposure. I hope he interviews Clancy Brown someday. Oh and Will Friedle (which made me sad during the James Marsden interview when they brought him up and both of them were kicking themselves for not asking him to be there for the interview as well.)

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Hey guys, The Comedy Button just updated with a 'best of' show for the year, it's a good place to get into it and see if it's your thing.

Basically if you ever heard the old podcast The Gamespy Debriefings it's that group of game/tech 'press' sitting around and telling dirty jokes and being assholes. I really enjoy it and think it needs some love.

Also before this they did a rifftrax on Santa Clause that was awesome, obviously not part of the best of but worth a listen if you enjoy the show.

Wangsucker 69
Feb 7, 2004

Shut up, you old bat.
For any Brian Posehn/dungeons and dragons fans he has a new podcast on the Earwolf network called Nerd Poker. It's him and his friends going through a d & d campaign. Pretty funny.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

blackshreds posted:

For any Brian Posehn/dungeons and dragons fans he has a new podcast on the Earwolf network called Nerd Poker. It's him and his friends going through a d & d campaign. Pretty funny.

On that note, we just finished a 5 episode arc where we played 13th Age with the designer of the game, Rob Heinsoo.

You can check it out at https://www.bjgeeknation.com. Episodes 1-2 are character generation, episode 3 is some roleplaying and episodes 4-5 are combat.

Vulich the Subtle
Nov 25, 2012

Paul is unimpressed by the glories of the Host.
I'm having a hard time finding any good foreign language podcasts. I'm mostly looking for Russian or Bosnian/Croatian/Serbian/Macedonian/etcetcetc ones, but some in Czech would be nice too.

I'd prefer history ones, but politics is fine too. I'd prefer semi-serious stuff, I'd be fine with a podcast on religion. I just need some Slavs mumbling in my ear for long periods of time.

Any suggestions? My main fare is Dan Carlin or NSFWCORP.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
Maybe try the local radio stations' websites. A lot of the regular radio shows here(not any of those languages) are available as podcasts.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Glitterbomber posted:

Hey guys, The Comedy Button just updated with a 'best of' show for the year, it's a good place to get into it and see if it's your thing.

Basically if you ever heard the old podcast The Gamespy Debriefings it's that group of game/tech 'press' sitting around and telling dirty jokes and being assholes. I really enjoy it and think it needs some love.

Also before this they did a rifftrax on Santa Clause that was awesome, obviously not part of the best of but worth a listen if you enjoy the show.

I'll quote this. Comedy Button is really stupid but it's also really funny in that way, and the fact that it drops on Friday afternoon/evenings helps me unwind after teaching/researching each week.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Can anyone recommend something similar to the Giant Bombcast or the Flophouse? Doesn't have to be about videogames or movies, just some friends who are entertaining to listen too discussing something as a thin excuse to bullshit about whatever. Alternatively something with various standup comedians discussing the industry and exchanging stories (similar to Richard Herrings Fringe podcasts if you're familiar with that).

A sexy submarine
Jun 12, 2011
If anyone's interested in modern Chinese society/current affairs I can't reccomend the Sinica podcast enough. I heard about it through the China history podcast, which is nice little history podcast (about China funnily enough) in the style of the history of Rome, i.e. low on production values, high on information. Sinica though is hosted by Kaiser Kuo and Jeremy Goldhorn and plays host to a cavalcade of China experts (and Pankaj Mishra.) Its quite heavy on the new media side of things, but if you want to feel like an important journalist for about 30 mins every other week or so there's nothing better.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
I'm interested in making my own podcast. Is there a good step-by-step primer out there? Perferably one for PC users?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unam3d
Dec 31, 2012

A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.
x

unam3d fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Mar 6, 2015