Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'
Although it’s just finished now this was a 10/10 music podcast and has 439 episodes to dive into. The Independent Music Podcast

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/independent-music-podcast/id981100481

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'
Does anyone have any recommendations for anything on a similar vibe to Decoding the Gurus? Anything similar would be cool but would be particularly interested in stuff deconstructing self-help quackary, or even more so Buddhist exceptionalism, neo-Advaita and other adjacent spiritual fraff. I find it heartening to no end for the Decoding the Gurus people not to shy away from criticising Buddhism, as it’s still sort of a sacred cow in a lot of circles. I’m trying to escape from a number of harmful Buddhist philosophical views so that sort of content is gold dust to me. But any similar stuff to DtG even without that focus would be appreciated

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
closest I've got is "if books could kill", which is mostly a takedown of "smart" or "spiritual" airport books. The sensibility is a little NYT for me and some of the targets are a little soft but I still recommend it.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Conspirituality seems up your alley. The hosts escaped a variety of toxic new age-y nonsense and now cover the convergence between that space and right-wing politics.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I've listened to five episodes of Kill James Bond and I'm now completely convinced that some time traveler invented the concept of the James Bond movie to gently caress with the like 3 people hosting the podcast specifically.

I'm not capable of considering any other possibility.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
In what way?

Description just sounds like another watchalong podcast with maybe fewer bad jokes.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
A) It's genuinely good You should listen to the first few episodes if you're familiar with James Bond
B) They keep noticing that everyone involved would be better off if they had done literally nothing and it's breaking their brains.

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'
While I like the idea of If Books Could Kill and Conspirituality my first impressions of both is they’re a bit less fun and lighthearted and as such don’t really appeal.. there’s way too much seriousness in those realms already imo and the DtG people joking around with it and making it into entertainment is a big part of the appeal to me. I may or may not return to those pods after I run out of the DtG eps tho

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Minotaurus Rex posted:

While I like the idea of If Books Could Kill and Conspirituality my first impressions of both is they’re a bit less fun and lighthearted and as such don’t really appeal.. there’s way too much seriousness in those realms already imo and the DtG people joking around with it and making it into entertainment is a big part of the appeal to me. I may or may not return to those pods after I run out of the DtG eps tho

It also drives me crazy how often they miss the more substantive critique. There was one episode recently where they were criticising the racist implications of some school achievement argument (which, fair enough) but skipped over the fact that these are specifically designed to destroy public sector unions.

e: yeah if books could kill

COPE 27 fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jan 12, 2024

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

COPE 27 posted:

It also drives me crazy how often they miss the more substantive critique. There was one episode recently where they were criticising the racist implications of some school achievement argument (which, fair enough) but skipped over the fact that these are specifically designed to destroy public sector unions.
Which podcast are you referring to here?

I quit If Books Could Kill because they too often poo poo on stuff just to poo poo on it, and too often went for lazy critiques. Like, there's a lot to criticize in The Four-Hour Workweek, and its title deserves about 1% of the attention it usually gets. Tim Ferriss only called it that because he A/B tested titles and that's what sold the most copies. Their incessant "he sure is working more than four hours hahahahahaha" got so tired, same as their "he sure seems to give a gently caress after all hahahahaha" in the recent episode on Mark Manson's book.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Zugzwang posted:

Which podcast are you referring to here?

I quit If Books Could Kill because they too often poo poo on stuff just to poo poo on it, and too often went for lazy critiques. Like, there's a lot to criticize in The Four-Hour Workweek, and its title deserves about 1% of the attention it usually gets. Tim Ferriss only called it that because he A/B tested titles and that's what sold the most copies. Their incessant "he sure is working more than four hours hahahahahaha" got so tired, same as their "he sure seems to give a gently caress after all hahahahaha" in the recent episode on Mark Manson's book.

Yeah if Books Could Kill feels well intentioned but they’ve run out of interesting material & need an editor. Like their ep on Rich Dad Poor Dad was fascinating as they discussed how the rich dad probably didn’t exist, but the Identity Trap was nearly two hours about why it’s bad this author I’ve never heard of is using flawed research.

It’s similar to another podcast about bad books from a few years back where initially they had low hanging fruit that was easy to understand and riff on, but ran into the problem of committing weeks to reading a book that isn’t bad in an interesting way but the time commitment means they gotta make an ep anyway.

Hyrax Attack! fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jan 12, 2024

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Hyrax Attack! posted:

It’s similar to another podcast about bad books from a few years back where initially they had low hanging fruit that was easy to understand and riff on, but ran into the problem of committing weeks to reading a book that isn’t bad in an interesting way but the time commitment means they gotta make an ep anyway.
372 Pages We'll Never Get Back by the Mystery Science Theater guys? I enjoyed the roast of Ready Player One, but lacked enough of a hate boner for any of the subsequent other books to keep up with it.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Yeah if Books Could Kill feels well intentioned but they’ve run out of interesting material & need an editor. Like their ep on Rich Dad Poor Dad was fascinating as they discussed how the rich dad probably didn’t exist, but the Identity Trap was nearly two hours about why it’s bad this author I’ve never heard of is using flawed research.

I think this is spot-on. More episodes like the Rich Dad, Poor Dad one are what are needed. Those are just plain bad books, written by hacks, that no one should read. But a lot of people do, and so it's good for their flaws to be exposed.

Then when they got into books like Atomic Habits and The Subtle Art of Not Giving a gently caress, they (rightly) critiqued some stuff that needed to be critiqued, but they also spent a bunch of time dunking on general advice that a person may or may not find useful. Like, if you find reframing "I have to do this" as "I get to do this" helpful - and a lot of people do - then great! If you don't, that's cool too. Same as the bit about Disappointment Panda in Manson's book; I actually do think it's good to keep in mind that you will always have problems/things will never quite be perfect (this notion of dukkha/wheel out of kilter is literally at the core of Buddhism), but ideally they can be better problems than you might otherwise have. Other folks might not find this helpful. Regardless, this is hardly in the same league as, like, William F Buckley's book that they covered.

And yeah, the time commitment thing is exactly it. I think a lot of podcasts suffer from this, and I have serious concerns about the quality of podcast info writ large, especially because I so frequently find myself going :negative: when podcasters veer into my areas of competence. (Hobbes once said some grotesquely incorrect things about calories on Maintenance Phase that pretty much torpedoed my faith in his rigor.) Whereas you have other shows like Hardcore History that infrequently drop mega-episodes only when they're fully baked.

Zugzwang fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jan 12, 2024

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Cugel the Clever posted:

372 Pages We'll Never Get Back by the Mystery Science Theater guys? I enjoyed the roast of Ready Player One, but lacked enough of a hate boner for any of the subsequent other books to keep up with it.

Oh I listened to that one a bit but I checked and I was thinking of I Don’t Even Own a Television.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Cugel the Clever posted:

A recommendation along the lines of DtG is actually where I first heard of DtG: the I Don't Speak German podcast. They do a similar thing, but with focus on shining a light on fascists rather than gurus. I got the impression they were a tad miffed at DtG as the Harris interview came out not long after the crossover episode with IDSG and IDSG is very anti platforming fascists and the fash-adjacent (of which Harris is), but DtG has an open "right to respond" and a different assessment of who exceeds the bounds of acceptable discourse. IDSG has had low output for the last year, unfortunately, as the hosts have had life get in the way, but their back catalog is absolutely worth a listen.

I was a little disappointed in the first episode. They seem to have lost a little objectivity and have gotten a little lost in the sauce buying into the altrights self mythologizing thanks to all the YouTube watching they do. Richard Spencer always was irrelevant and tiny, relatively speaking, and his momentary blip of relevance died the instant he got an ounce of coverage (which was briefly mentioned but I don't think emphasized enough). It unfortunately reminded me of the contemporary pieces that repeated this line of "this 'highly credentialed' Nazi is well dressed and therefore scary" despite covering an offputting dullard with very little national relevance outside of his (yes, radicalized and disproportionately dangerous to their locality because of lone wolf attacks) low thousands fanbase. Repeating the stupid nazi bile verbatim felt unnecessary too.

Hoping it picks up because cataloguing the views of these freaks is interesting and often funny, and I do generally find the hosts affable. The second episode with David Duke is much better so far, perhaps because thanks to the perspective granted by time he is a stupid blowhard who repeatedly eats poo poo nationally.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Famethrowa posted:

Richard Spencer always was irrelevant and tiny, relatively speaking, and his momentary blip of relevance died the instant he got an ounce of coverage (which was briefly mentioned but I don't think emphasized enough).

False

The instant he got his rear end punched really hard and he did fuckall about it, that is when his blip of relevance died

Fascists cannot look weak and he looked so weak

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

rotinaj posted:

False

The instant he got his rear end punched really hard and he did fuckall about it, that is when his blip of relevance died

Fascists cannot look weak and he looked so weak

The opinion of other internet fascists is mostly irrelevant to the mainstream. That's kinda my point about giving too much weight to these guys.

I have to give the podcast credit for mentioning this on the recording: It was his awful speech and nerds giving the Hitler salute that killed any mainstream conservatism flirting with him, he was way too obvious.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Yeah if Books Could Kill feels well intentioned but they’ve run out of interesting material & need an editor.

It's the latest iteration of the Michael Hobbes podcast arc. He and a friend start a podcast, it gains a ton of traction with the "wow Michael Hobbes has a new podcast!" crowd, the Patreon starts making an absurd amount of money, the pressure of the podcast starts burning the hosts out, they refuse to spend any of the Patreon money to hire a professional staff to do any of the menial work like editing, then the hosts end up burnt out and the podcast goes on hiatus. Michael moves on to the next podcast and repeats the cycle; the co-host keeps the old podcast brand and tries to keep the magic alive because they need the Patreon money to keep coming.

MP is near the end of the cycle, If Books Could Kill is a few steps behind.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Cockblocktopus posted:

It's the latest iteration of the Michael Hobbes podcast arc.
lol yeah, pretty much. The Patreon for IBCK was phoned in from the beginning. They even kept saying "uhh yeah we aren't sure what to do with this space." You'd think for all the cash they were bringing in, they could do some bonus books. Not hard to read a ton, even big books, when it's all you're getting paid to do.

You're Wrong About is still good. Maybe because Sarah is super-smart, has guests come on who do the heavy lifting of knowing about the topic, and because she has a producer. And the Patreon has ...*checks*... almost 25k members. What a sweet gig.

Zugzwang fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jan 13, 2024

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'
This UK based comedy pod BudPod is something I quite enjoy

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/budpod-with-phil-wang-pierre-novellie/id1454237999

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Cockblocktopus posted:

It's the latest iteration of the Michael Hobbes podcast arc. He and a friend start a podcast, it gains a ton of traction with the "wow Michael Hobbes has a new podcast!" crowd, the Patreon starts making an absurd amount of money, the pressure of the podcast starts burning the hosts out, they refuse to spend any of the Patreon money to hire a professional staff to do any of the menial work like editing, then the hosts end up burnt out and the podcast goes on hiatus. Michael moves on to the next podcast and repeats the cycle; the co-host keeps the old podcast brand and tries to keep the magic alive because they need the Patreon money to keep coming.

this sounds about right from my experience with michael hobbes' podcasts as well. while i can understand probably losing interest in a subject after covering it for a while, it's a bit more frustrating when you have someone doing so multiple times.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Are there any decent podcasts on medieval European history? Weird Medieval Guys is OK but I’d muchly prefer something more serious.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

You have to scroll back a bit in the feed because it stopped in May 2020 but Tides of History was a pretty good (late) medieval history podcast before it pivoted to covering the ancient world. Starts roughly around the fall of Constantinople and runs through Lepanto.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I like We're Not So Different, linking to the YouTube because effort.

https://youtube.com/@wnsdpod?si=6NqOPJLwi2IgTrH1

They cover historical figures, daily life, theology, mythology, and more. Heads up, the episodes open with banter before getting to the topics.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

stretching "podcast" since they are closer to lectures, but every single one of Premodernist's videos on the medieval period have been awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aSdFrPnlRg

e. very similar to "we're not so different" but more broad.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

RandomPauI posted:

I like We're Not So Different, linking to the YouTube because effort.

https://youtube.com/@wnsdpod?si=6NqOPJLwi2IgTrH1

They cover historical figures, daily life, theology, mythology, and more. Heads up, the episodes open with banter before getting to the topics.
Agreed. Anything you can find with Eleanor will usually be a good listen. She's pretty great at what she does.

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jan 15, 2024

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

So I've mentioned before Strange Animals Podcast hosted by Kate Shaw. It's a pretty nice zoology podcast presented by the incredibly enthusiastic Shaw. I find her style of narration very endearing.

She recently plugged Herbarium of the Bizarre by Meredith Hemphill. Hemphill looks into plants and fungi with a background botany. She's clearly not just reading off a wikipedia page and seems to know what she's going on about. I've listened to about five episodes and I've found it pretty informative. The thing is the audio is absolutely crap and she's not a terribly compelling host, though I think she has potential (it's a very new show). The show needs better scripting and editing for sure.

In any case, the subject is extremely interesting and maybe there's actually good botany podcasts out there I haven't heard of. Anyone know of any others that focus on plants and/or fungi?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Cockblocktopus posted:

Lol newest episode of If Books Could Kill is taking down the obscure tome… the Art of the Deal? Are they even pretending to try anymore?

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
:sad:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Lol newest episode of If Books Could Kill is taking down the obscure tome… the Art of the Deal? Are they even pretending to try anymore?

And they basically come to the conclusion that it's a good book with solid advice.

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

What's a good podcast player nowadays? I liked google podcasts cause you could go in the page source and snag the mp3 files easily enough and save em, but they're going away in April. It looks like if I wanna do that on like Spotify or other players, I have to pay a subscription. Surely there's a better alternative out there

Mug of Glop
Mar 28, 2013

If you're on iOS, Castro lets you just fetch any episode off of any podcast feed and manually add it to your queue whether you're subscribed or not. You can also "sideload" in basically just any mp3 file as if it's an episode of something as well, but that's a "premium" feature.

Sadly, Castro may or may not be dying a slow death of neglect by its owners, so its time may (or may not) be limited.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

The two that come up most are Podcast Addict and Overcast. I use Podcast Addict and the only thing it doesn't do that I wish it did was sync progress across devices, otherwise it has everything I've ever needed and more.

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

Mug of Glop posted:

If you're on iOS, Castro lets you just fetch any episode off of any podcast feed and manually add it to your queue whether you're subscribed or not. You can also "sideload" in basically just any mp3 file as if it's an episode of something as well, but that's a "premium" feature.

Sadly, Castro may or may not be dying a slow death of neglect by its owners, so its time may (or may not) be limited.

I probably shoulda mentioned my platform whoops, thanks for the suggestion though

Azathoth posted:

The two that come up most are Podcast Addict and Overcast. I use Podcast Addict and the only thing it doesn't do that I wish it did was sync progress across devices, otherwise it has everything I've ever needed and more.

These seem promising, I'll give em a go, thanks

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

my body is a temple to an idiot god

Hyrax Attack! posted:

The podcast is about influential and/or best selling non fiction books regardless of their merit. But you’re right, it’s not like Trump is relevant.

Gripweed posted:

And they basically come to the conclusion that it's a good book with solid advice.

Having just listened to it I thought the conclusion was clearly Trump admits to lying, breaking the law and being a world class prick that fails upwards despite announcing to the world exactly what kind of person he is, especially in the section that details his attempts to get rid of rent controlled tenants. So yes, as a Bible to achieve this in the face of all that should be right, it inexplicably works if you want to be the worst person.

I mean don’t like the podcast fine, but that’s an extremely disingenuous take.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Dunno if there are other fans of Dudesy, it’s a comedy podcast with Will Sasso with the premise of being run by an AI. I’m a fan for his impressions of which there are plenty but they sometimes explore issues related to AI, and recently released an hour long fake George Carlin YouTube special they claim was entirely AI generated.

Not sure this was a well thought out move as they are being sued by Carlin’s estate.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Dunno if there are other fans of Dudesy, it’s a comedy podcast with Will Sasso with the premise of being run by an AI. I’m a fan for his impressions of which there are plenty but they sometimes explore issues related to AI, and recently released an hour long fake George Carlin YouTube special they claim was entirely AI generated.

Not sure this was a well thought out move as they are being sued by Carlin’s estate.

That was an extremely lovely thing to do and that anyone there thought it was a good idea is mind boggling. That alone is reason to never engage with the content they generate ever again.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Yeah they had a good thing going with Sasso doing an Adam Driver impression yelling about hard seltzer & Driver shows up at a live show as part of the gag, or the “AI” telling them to get colonoscopies or dress as Goku. Dunno why they thought attempting an unsympathetic novel intellectual property usage, seemingly without checking with a lawyer first, was a good idea.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Will Sasso doesn’t always make super great calls in the pursuit of being funny. I think overall he falls on the not lovely side, although I admit to not have researched it a ton.

Mug of Glop posted:

Yeah there unfortunately seems to be problems adding podcasts now that aren’t big. It’s a shame because there isn’t anything exactly like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Azathoth posted:

That was an extremely lovely thing to do and that anyone there thought it was a good idea is mind boggling. That alone is reason to never engage with the content they generate ever again.

Is this, perhaps, a more "honest" form of stealing from George? Other comics might just tell his jokes, and try to pass them off as their own. There's no attempt to launder this as anything but a straight up rip off that I'm aware of.
Awful behavior in any case.