Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
For those who do their own podcasts: What tools do you use to measure metrics/analytics/statistics of your listeners and subscribers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
I use two services.

The first is for any shows that I still have hosted on Amazon S3 (this will work for any other self-hosting, too). It's Podtrac. It's free, and it works well enough. Sometimes their stats don't update until late in the next day, which is a bummer.

I host my more popular shows on Libsyn, since it's a flat fee instead of a pay-as-you-go situation. The stats that are included with that are killer.

Both services give you a breakdown of regions and clients, which is about as thorough as you need to be unless you have specific analytics needs.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Libsyn looks really awesome but I host all my own stuff, and it seems like Libsyn only tracks things you host on their servers.

I signed up for Podtrac, put the redirect url on all my enclosures. Tomorrow we'll see what happens.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

unam3d posted:

For some general podcasting advice try listening to the retired show, 'The Mixdown' on 5by5.tv.
Um, thanks, but I was hoping for an article. Or at least a site where I can record and host a podcast for free.

NewAccountUsername
May 5, 2006

This might be better asked over in The Goon Doctor, but does anyone have any recommendations for podcasts on the subject of medicine? Either aimed at the general public or at medical staff would be cool. Thanks.

Juche Couture
Feb 3, 2007

Not A Vet Yet posted:

This might be better asked over in The Goon Doctor, but does anyone have any recommendations for podcasts on the subject of medicine? Either aimed at the general public or at medical staff would be cool. Thanks.

I listen to the Lancet, NEJM and JAMA (this one is often very boring) summaries, Persiflagers Infectious Disease Podcast (the host is kind of a prick but man he reads a lot), and the Texas Tech Medcast USMLE Step Exam Prep Series (which is excellent).

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Not A Vet Yet posted:

edgydoc.com

the puscast (mentioned above) goes through recent infectious disease litterature and the quackcast demolishes alternative medicine.

No no serious
Mar 24, 2010

It's working
Does anyone know of any non-talking, non-musical podcasts? There was one I listened to years ago where someone would just record foreign city sounds while walking around (although for the life of me I can't find it now). Something along that line, real or made up, ambient soundscapes I guess you'd call it.

Or maybe I should say non-discussion instead of non-talking. Something like a podcast of nothing but air traffic controller chatter. Or long recordings of astronaut radio conversations. Or something I'm not thinking of. Just something to play while falling asleep.

No no serious fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Feb 6, 2013

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

No no serious posted:

Does anyone know of any non-talking, non-musical podcasts? There was one I listened to years ago where someone would just record foreign city sounds while walking around (although for the life of me I can't find it now). Something along that line, real or made up, ambient soundscapes I guess you'd call it.

Or maybe I should say non-discussion instead of non-talking. Something like a podcast of nothing but air traffic controller chatter. Or long recordings of astronaut radio conversations. Or something I'm not thinking of. Just something to play while falling asleep.

I don't understand why you need a PODCAST for this. Just get some recordings of whatever you want to fall asleep to.

No no serious
Mar 24, 2010

It's working

FitFortDanga posted:

I don't understand why you need a PODCAST for this. Just get some recordings of whatever you want to fall asleep to.

It's the only source I can imagine. I've looked on Spotify, torrents, usenet, creative commons sound archives, etc. The closest thing I can find are nature sounds (rain, ocean..), or sound effect compilations.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

No no serious posted:

You'd definitely have success if you were looking for records instead. I have lots of novelty records that fit these criteria and I never even set out to find them. I just picked them up here and there because they were weird and never cost more than a dollar. Do you have a turntable with an arm that auto-returns?

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
Go nuts: http://www.liveatc.net/

No no serious
Mar 24, 2010

It's working

That works. Thanks.

ScarletOHara
May 21, 2007

Women need not always keep their mouths shut and their wombs open.

No no serious posted:

That works. Thanks.

This is kinda cool too and fun to listen to http://youarelistening.to/chicago.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

No no serious posted:

What you're looking for are called field recordings - framework rado is a good place to start http://www.frameworkradio.net/

my turn for a question: I've started jogging and I do so for about 30 minutes at a time - I'd like to find good podcasts 15-30 minutes long - anything relating to movies, pop culture, games, news, weird stuff, I don't know - I've looked up a ton of podcasts but hour long podcasts are a pain to listen to i this manner.

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009

clockworkjoe posted:

What you're looking for are called field recordings - framework rado is a good place to start http://www.frameworkradio.net/

my turn for a question: I've started jogging and I do so for about 30 minutes at a time - I'd like to find good podcasts 15-30 minutes long - anything relating to movies, pop culture, games, news, weird stuff, I don't know - I've looked up a ton of podcasts but hour long podcasts are a pain to listen to i this manner.

Try http://howtodoeverything.org/ or http://skeptoid.com/

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS
I know this is a very old show, but while browsing NPR stations I listened to the most recent episode of The Moth. As a baseball fan, I laughed my rear end off at the brilliant first story about a batboy, and as a father, I cried like I haven't cried in 20 years or so while listening to a subsequent story told by a comedian about losing his daughter, absolutely mindblowing stuff, I've never heard anything more powerfully told and have never been affected in that way by a story, ever.

Kynazeras
Dec 20, 2012
A friend and I are going to start posting a podcast soon and we need some advice. First of all, we need advice on where to host it and still be able to get it on iTunes. We have a PodOMatic account and that sounded good for a while but then we found out that you can only use 500 Mb of storage. That means we would have to delete old episodes and they wouldn't be available to interested listeners. We don't have a lot of money so something free would be nice. Any advice? (I apologize if this is in the wrong thread)

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

The vote threshold in this forum is now 5.

Y Kant Ozma Post posted:

Honestly the vote threshold for RGD didn't need to be that high anyway, I dropped it to 5. It's not going to reflect immediately and doesn't appear until after a thread has been voted on even if it exceeds the threshold now, if that makes any sense.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Norman Centuries updated again, first time since last August :hellyeah:

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Any decent podcasts based on the environment?

Fame Throwa
Nov 3, 2007

Time to make all the decisions!
Are there any podcasts like Flophouse or We Hate Movies, but about bad books? I like reading crappy novels, so a podcast where a few comedians make fun of Sword of Truth or 50 Shades of Grey would be hilarious.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.

Fame Throwa posted:

Are there any podcasts like Flophouse or We Hate Movies, but about bad books? I like reading crappy novels, so a podcast where a few comedians make fun of Sword of Truth or 50 Shades of Grey would be hilarious.

Read it and Weep tends to focus on books, though they also take on bad movies and TV shows.

Varicelli
Jan 24, 2009
Probably been asked before, but I'm looking for some Leftist podcasts / vodcasts that aren't rife with faggotry, feminism, and rampant self-satisfaction. Think Rachel Maddow.. I guess.

Also, not sure if this is the place to ask, but what can I use to sync podcasts between my iPhone, my desktop and laptop (both 7). I don't have a particularly fast download speed. Please don't suggest the official Podcasts app.

Varicelli fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Mar 11, 2013

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

TLG James posted:

Any decent podcasts based on the environment?

http://geology.mines.edu/courses/sygn101/podcast/earth.xml

It's Dr. Christian Shorey's "Earth and Environmental Systems" podcast. It is more of an overview and exploration of pretty much the whole concept of earth science, and it's about as comprehensive as a first-year college course. He has a great geological timeline of the Earth's history in there, as well as a somewhat-worldwide history timeline.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Varicelli posted:

Probably been asked before, but I'm looking for some Leftist podcasts / vodcasts that aren't rife with faggotry, feminism, and rampant self-satisfaction. Think Rachel Maddow.. I guess.

Also, not sure if this is the place to ask, but what can I use to sync podcasts between my iPhone, my desktop and laptop (both 7). I don't have a particularly fast download speed. Please don't suggest the official Podcasts app.

You could delete the podcast app, which will restore the podcast functionality back to the iPhone music app, and use iTunes. You'll have to use Home Share to share one of your computer's libraries with the other to make sure the two computers are synced, but the iPhone/iTunes sync will be seemless.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

I've been wanting to share the Spilled Milk podcast with people for a while.

It's two hosts, one of them is Molly Wizenberg, a food blogger and restaurant owner in Seattle, and the other is Matthew Amster-Burton, a food writer. It's about food, obviously, either individual ingredients or larger types of food (the latest one is [url=http://www.spilledmilkpodcast.com/2013/03/21/episode-87-potato-chips/]potato chips[/ur]) and they just chat about the food. They're all short, about 20 minutes, and both hosts are irreverent and a bit nerdy and it's overall pretty silly and enjoyable.

The Real Quaid
Jun 29, 2012
Norm MacDonald has a podcast now, or at least what is billed to be a weekly 1hr long chat-show on youtube. Here's the first episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5eIJ5Ev_u4 with guest Bob Einstein (the guy who plays Funkhouser on Curb your Enthusiasm). I found the first episode extremely funny and I think it would be a good idea for you to watch it.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I just started listening to Ten Minute Podcast, hosted by Will Sasso, Chris D'Elia, and Bryan Callen. I can't recommend this podcast enough; all three of these guys are seasoned comedians, and they bounce off of each other ridiculously well ruthlessly belittle each other, and it's only ten minutes long, so there's barely any investment when you start an episode up.

I say just start from the beginning, but if you need some extra convincing, try this one first.

Namnesor fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Mar 31, 2013

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax
Found the best drat podcast you drat well possibly could be listening to WHAT.

http://podcastone.com/pg/jsp/program/episode.jsp?programID=436&pid=239262&buffer_share=9224d&utm_source=buffer

Debuts on the 5th, hosted by Stone Cold Steve Austin, and if you drat well don't know who that is, then well son you'd better watch this because that's the bottom line, because Stone Cold said so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YE9S3zQx_2k

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

rotinaj posted:

Are there any good science podcasts or iTunes U series' about chemistry and organic chemistry like when Walt gets going on chemistry in Breaking Bad?

I didn't see a satisfactory response to this, so I'm seconding this guy's request. This is actually exactly what I came here looking for. Biology too, basically any relatively interesting guy talking about bio, chem, biochem or ochem would be awesome.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I've listened to all of Welcome to Night Vale a few times and I'm really looking for something else to listen to that scratches that Lovecraftian horror itch. I would prefer something with a full cast just because I enjoy radio drama more than podiobooks but I'll take anything really.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:

Coughing Hobo posted:

I just started listening to Ten Minute Podcast, hosted by Will Sasso, Chris D'Elia, and Bryan Callen. I can't recommend this podcast enough; all three of these guys are seasoned comedians, and they bounce off of each other ridiculously well ruthlessly belittle each other, and it's only ten minutes long, so there's barely any investment when you start an episode up.

I say just start from the beginning, but if you need some extra convincing, try this one first.

I really used to love this show but I'm getting a bit tired of it. I feel like it has become less structured and is just kinda the same thing over and over now. I don't mean to say it doesn't still have it's moments though.

People should absolutely start from the beginning so they can witness the evolution of the characters and in-jokes. I might have to listen to the first couple dozen again myself.

Edit: oh, God, the dude finder one. Good choice.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

SammyWhereAreYou posted:

I really used to love this show but I'm getting a bit tired of it. I feel like it has become less structured and is just kinda the same thing over and over now. I don't mean to say it doesn't still have it's moments though.

People should absolutely start from the beginning so they can witness the evolution of the characters and in-jokes. I might have to listen to the first couple dozen again myself.

Edit: oh, God, the dude finder one. Good choice.

I pretty much agree, but at ten minutes a pop, it's over before I really regret listening to any particular episode. I like burning through one in-between other podcasts as kind of a palette cleanser.

I think they could benefit by having an actual guest of sorts, not really for an interview, but just to get in on the action for, say, three or four episodes in a row. Someone like Jay Mohr I think would work well in spicing up their scripted bits and bring in something fresh.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Varicelli posted:

Real Time with Bill Maher

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Len posted:

I've listened to all of Welcome to Night Vale a few times and I'm really looking for something else to listen to that scratches that Lovecraftian horror itch. I would prefer something with a full cast just because I enjoy radio drama more than podiobooks but I'll take anything really.

I can't help you (though I'd love to hear the answer as well), but thanks to this I just started on Night Vale, oh my god this is so good.

Elphiem
Dec 4, 2005

CFC Fan
Honestly have no idea where to ask this but hope someone here can help. audio gurus.

Is there a freeware way of recording from soundcard and having it save directly as mp3?

Seems like a pure and simple idea, but I need a guide or tips thanks.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Elphiem posted:

Honestly have no idea where to ask this but hope someone here can help. audio gurus.

Is there a freeware way of recording from soundcard and having it save directly as mp3?

Seems like a pure and simple idea, but I need a guide or tips thanks.

Audacity

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Jefferoo posted:

Found the best drat podcast you drat well possibly could be listening to WHAT.

http://podcastone.com/pg/jsp/program/episode.jsp?programID=436&pid=239262&buffer_share=9224d&utm_source=buffer

Debuts on the 5th, hosted by Stone Cold Steve Austin, and if you drat well don't know who that is, then well son you'd better watch this because that's the bottom line, because Stone Cold said so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YE9S3zQx_2k

Does this have an RSS feed or anything? Couldn't find one on that podcast site nor his actual site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

I'm looking for recommendations on podcasts that feature unstructured, informal, smart discussion.

Roderick on the Line is my favorite podcast. My favorite parts of ROTL are the riffs on ancient Greece, or the geography of the Caucuses, or the personal lives of kings and presidents, or light philosophy. I'd like to listen to more stuff like that. But the podcasts that go for this kind of academic material in a straightforward way sound like principal Skinner presenting the topic of the day. Stuff to Blow your Mind, for example, is dull as poo poo. And Philosophy Talk for another is really good at squeezing the joy out of interesting topics, mostly out of a misguided attempt to be fair to all parties. Any ideas?