Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

B33rChiller posted:

Is this, perhaps, a more "honest" form of stealing from George? Other comics might just tell his jokes, and try to pass them off as their own. There's no attempt to launder this as anything but a straight up rip off that I'm aware of.
Awful behavior in any case.

Now they're claiming that Sasso's partner on the podcast wrote it and that AI doesn't write anything. Carlin's estate has basically said that they don't know what to believe so they're gonna depose everyone involved and figure it out.

That might make them not guilty of copyright infringement but putting your words in a dead man's mouth and trying to pass it off, that's way loving scummier in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Azathoth posted:

Now they're claiming that Sasso's partner on the podcast wrote it and that AI doesn't write anything. Carlin's estate has basically said that they don't know what to believe so they're gonna depose everyone involved and figure it out.

That might make them not guilty of copyright infringement but putting your words in a dead man's mouth and trying to pass it off, that's way loving scummier in my opinion.

Agreed. Don't steal someone's likeness. It's creepy.

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'
Now I’m onto Knowledge Fight which is really entertaining despite not having much experience of Alex Jones’ output. Great comedic timing and energy and feel like it’s further immunising against bullshit in a similar way to Decoding the Gurus

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'
Anyone got any links to high quality criticism of Sam Harris other than on Decoding the Gurus? Whether that’s podcast, articles or YouTube I’m easy.

Also, tangentially I see Jung has fallen out of favour with the left. For bonus points anyone know of any spicy critiques of him?

Apologies if this is the wrong thread for this

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Minotaurus Rex posted:

Anyone got any links to high quality criticism of Sam Harris other than on Decoding the Gurus? Whether that’s podcast, articles or YouTube I’m easy.

Also, tangentially I see Jung has fallen out of favour with the left. For bonus points anyone know of any spicy critiques of him?

Apologies if this is the wrong thread for this
Lots of links to stuff in the show notes for episode 22 of IDSG: https://idontspeakgerman.libsyn.com/episode-22-sam-harris-is-not-a-nazi

The late Michael Brooks wrote a book on the IDW, Against the Web. It isn't just about Harris but certainly includes him.

Also, Eiynah Mohammed dedicated a bunch of episodes of her podcast (Polite Conversations) to criticizing him re: Islam in particular. IIRC she has a fairly sarcastic delivery a lot of the time, but her content is good.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
If you’re getting tired of podcasts with American comics going ‘let me tell you this about that’, you can always try ‘Here Comes The Guillotine’
Where Scottish comedians Frankie Boyle, Susie McCabe and Christopher MacArthur-Boyd tell you ‘this about that’.
It’s Scottish, so I don’t know if it’s necessary to warn about swearing and the like?

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

20 minutes into IFBCK agreeing with Jeffrey Epstein associate Steven Pinker that murder rates are the lowest in history with no mention of 1 million murdered Iraqis :argh:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

COPE 27 posted:

20 minutes into IFBCK agreeing with Jeffrey Epstein associate Steven Pinker that murder rates are the lowest in history with no mention of 1 million murdered Iraqis :argh:

They separate out homicide from war deaths.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Yeah, kinda have to or else you might inadvertently have to admit that even the most prolific serial killer pales in comparison to the war criminals who serve in our government and who frequently act as talking heads in the media.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I know this is an old vidoe, but I only just listened to it and it stuck out to me as an odd rant. It's not like tutorials will ever just disappear, people get confused by jump buttons between Nintendo Switch, Xbox and PlayStation already. The only universal buttons we kinda have right now are the start button usually pausing the game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMBMazzybV0&t=3301s

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
So what's the popular podcatcher these days?

Edit: Android os

Ches Neckbeard fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Mar 19, 2024

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Ches Neckbeard posted:

So what's the popular podcatcher these days?

Which OS?

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

101 posted:

Which OS?

Sorry, Android

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I love podcast addict for Android. Has a nice discovery feature too.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I've always liked PocketCasts. Some of the interface isn't the most intuitive, but overall I dig it

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Podcast Addict is my choice and it appears that it and PocketCasts remain the two big recommendations. From what people have said, it's hard to go wrong with either.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
I like antennapod, simple straightforward design. Nothing super fancy but it's pretty solid and also open source so no ads in the app so that's nice.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

E1's latest audio movie, The Ballad of Brewer Grouse, drops next week. They've released one of the songs from it early to give people a taste

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lQBR0JtdWs

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gripweed posted:

E1's latest audio movie, The Ballad of Brewer Grouse, drops next week. They've released one of the songs from it early to give people a taste

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lQBR0JtdWs

What is e1
What is an audio movie

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

rotinaj posted:

What is e1
What is an audio movie

E1 is a comedy podcast. The typical format is that every episode is the first and only episode of a different podcast. But they also do audio movies.
Audio movies are feature length scripted narratives with voice actors and sound effects, and sometimes original songs. Their previous audio movies include the fantasy epics Hammerswinger and The Chosen Boy, the serious drama The Saints of Soulard, the Christmas family mystery The Christmas Pencil, and the documentaries The Real Story of the Terre Haute Bathroom Club and, my personal favorite, Crown of Mist: The Last Day of Princess Diana

Edit: I can't believe I forgot their most recent production, Pixar's Sodas

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Mar 20, 2024

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
I'm back shilling for The Silt Verses as it's recently returned from hiatus! Adjudicator Shrue reaches their breaking point as a brainstorming session reflects the real state of the war effort.

I remain the only person I know who's aware of this podcast, much less passionate about it :sadpeanut:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm dropping Ballin' Out Super. I've rolled my eyes at enough stuff said in some episodes now that I need to just listen to it less. Mainly because of the episode in the wake of the news that Akira Toriyama passed away. It is 3 hours long so I do not expect nor ask anyone else to listen to the entire thing. https://open.spotify.com/episode/0NG8bNadgf0FcJ2kgxj0je?si=d9eae8e665a640fa

The things that bothered me were mostly in the long Palworld, George Lucas, and capitalism rant (Though I don't think that directly gets called out) starting at 1:57:20 'What (George) Lucas and Toriyama both understood was that what they were making inherently were legends' That one just keeps going and seems to have the energy of 'Ever since George Lucas/Akira Toriyama were 2 years old just like Jesus they knew they would go on to make Star Wars/Dr. Slump + Dragonball'

Basically my standards are now at 'Jesus Christ could you people at least read an interview or at the very least a quote said by the author?'

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
With the Phil Hendrie documentary out I decided to see if he had a podcast and how it was. I know most fans of the show liked the part where real people called up and argued with his absurd guests (his voices), but I always enjoyed when he was arguing with himself, which is what the podcast in fact is. I think if you are an old southern Californian and you had fond memories of the show it's worth checking out; this isn't the first or second time I've tried to check in on what he was doing (besides being a voice on some Adult Swim shows) and most of the later radio projects were not exactly him at his best, but I think he's managed to find something that works with the podcast.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

RareAcumen posted:

I'm dropping Ballin' Out Super. I've rolled my eyes at enough stuff said in some episodes now that I need to just listen to it less. Mainly because of the episode in the wake of the news that Akira Toriyama passed away.

I am of the opinion that fan podcasts are tremendous wankfests and that they are not worth listening to unless the hosts have done something else of note that adds interesting color to their commentary

So I googled up that podcast and found their fan wikia and looked into all three of ‘em. Shockingly, in their bio page, none of them are scholars on Japanese animation, none of them know anything interesting about voice acting work, none of ‘em are journalists…

Miss me with that

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I tried Ballin' Out Super but I thought the annoying guy and the girl had a very annoying energy, and also they kept missing stuff about the show. Like, they joked endlessly about Vegeta just worldlessly staring at Goku and Beerus during the entire fight when Goku goes Super Saiyan God, but then act like it makes no sense and comes completely out of nowhere when some time later Vegeta has figured out how to achieve a similar level of power. How dumb are you to get outsmarted by Dragon Ball?

They also did that weird thing where they attribute dumb jokes to the creator being genuinely dumb or weird and only funny on accident, as opposed to intentionally making a joke.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
You're not supposed to watch Ballin' Out Super for a high quality recap of an anime episode or because the hosts are "scholars of Japanese animation" you're supposed to watch it because it's funny.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Reik posted:

You're not supposed to watch Ballin' Out Super for a high quality recap of an anime episode or because the hosts are "scholars of Japanese animation" you're supposed to watch it because it's funny.

Oh, these are standup comedians who have been doing comedy for a while?

Or are they some randoes off the internet who have a hit to miss ratio not quite that high and they don’t bring anything else interesting to the table

That’s the thing, there is always a jillion of these podcasts or YouTube streamers who certainly exist and can be watched and have their fans and maybe even make a joke or two, but at the cost of a thousand poo poo jokes because they are just some fuckin guy off the internet

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

rotinaj posted:

Or are they some randoes off the internet who have a hit to miss ratio not quite that high and they don’t bring anything else interesting to the table

That’s the thing, there is always a jillion of these podcasts or YouTube streamers who certainly exist and can be watched and have their fans and maybe even make a joke or two, but at the cost of a thousand poo poo jokes because they are just some fuckin guy off the internet

Look man if you don't think it's funny then don't listen to the podcast. It's really loving weird that you feel like you have to take these people down a peg or something.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Reik posted:

Look man if you don't think it's funny then don't listen to the podcast. It's really loving weird that you feel like you have to take these people down a peg or something.

Oh no, people are having discussions

ON THE INTERNET!

Quickly, to the bad poster mobile, reik! You must defend your heroes with the worst fuckin’ arguments possible!

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

rotinaj posted:

Oh no, people are having discussions

ON THE INTERNET!

Quickly, to the bad poster mobile, reik! You must defend your heroes with the worst fuckin’ arguments possible!

lol sorry you got really personal about not liking a podcast for some weird reason, maybe take a break or something

The Quorators podcast is very good if you want to hear the insane stuff people post on Quora without actually having to go on Quora.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChmiXKcdz-YDi7Ti73cR5VA

Reik fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Apr 17, 2024

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

It's been a while Reik, good to see you haven't changed a bit.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Any good gaming podcasts like Watch Out for Fireballs? They seem to thread a needle of humorous and insightful that most other podcasts don't seem to manage.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
My go-to rec for that is a bit more niche, but Inverted Castle is a show I've described as "what if WOFF never had a host sandbag the show if they didn't dislike the game". Only downsides comparatively are that it's monthly, and it only covers metroidvania games.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

rotinaj posted:

I've never even listened to Ballin' Out Super, but it seems ridiculous to imply the only worthwhile funny podcasts are ones by established standup comics??

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth
Only officially-sanctioned jokesmiths and yukjockeys are permitted to dispense """comedy""" across the information superhighway

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

101 posted:

I've never even listened to Ballin' Out Super, but it seems ridiculous to imply the only worthwhile funny podcasts are ones by established standup comics??

If you will look back to my previous posts on the topic on this page, I am talking about fan podcasts and how there are a zillion podcasts out out by people and while they may be funny from time to time, I personally need more of a hook than “this rando put out a podcast”

I am not saying I will only listen a podcast by an anime historian or that only podcasts by comedians are funny

However, I would happily give those theoretical podcasts a listen before I would listen to “Forums Poster 101’s Podcast on Naruto”, being as far as I know, you are just some fuckin’ guy. Why would I value your opinion over any other? Do you bring a unique or interesting viewpoint to the table, like the aforementioned historians or animators or standup or someone who has actually done something with their time?

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
I usually just listen to a couple episodes and see if I like it.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Having never listened to it, because I missed out on DBZ the first time so I don't have nostalgia, I think the boring answer is that they at least used to have a lot of guests and crossovers so different people listened to hear the guy they knew talk to the guys they didn't and stuck around. The old focus was letting non anime nerds from other places nerd out about it and have good banter. No idea how it is now. Heard it used to be kind of funny and people liked it well enough as a hangout time :ms:.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
i'm looking for comedy podcasts with the relaxed low tempo vibe of boonta vista, and/or the bizarre demon chemistry of bigsofttitty.png. australian accents arent a requirement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mug of Glop
Mar 28, 2013

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

i'm looking for comedy podcasts with the relaxed low tempo vibe of boonta vista, and/or the bizarre demon chemistry of bigsofttitty.png. australian accents arent a requirement

Try on some Three Bean Salad and see how that feels. Make sure you get the one with Mike Wozniak, Henry Paker, and Ben Partridge and not the similarly named one about ABBA, which was more confusing than fit was funny.