Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

CommunistMojo posted:

So after the earlier talk about history podcasts I'm left yearning for a decent American history related podcast.

My History Can Beat Up Your Politics is a very good podcast that takes current political events/issues and overlays them on the rest of American history. If you're a fan of Hardcore History you'll like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

Can I get a recommendation for a military history-themed podcast? I listen regularly to http://thehistorynetwork.org/ , but they don't put out content fast enough for me

You're welcome: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/pritzker-military-museum-library/id118681082?mt=2

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Space Cob posted:

Unrelated, I'd recommend Slate's Whistlestop to anyone interested in odd stories from political campaign trails. It just started so it only has a few episodes, but I've liked its little slices of history so far.

If you like this, and you should, check out "Ken Rudin's Political Junkie" podcast - Rudin was one of NPR's now defunct "It's All Politics" show, which remains one of my favorite political podcasts ever.

Political Junkie has segments for the week's events in politics, but about 1/3 of each episode near the end is political history.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Inzombiac posted:

I'm looking for a Podcast where funny and/or interesting people play D&D, Shadowrun or something similar.
Harmontown has their little segments and, while they are funny, they are very short and unfocused.

I'm giving Nerd Poker a try but I'm 30 episodes in and it's not hooking me like I had hoped.

Give total party kill a shot? It's by the incomparable network and I think they're >50 episodes deep

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I want to hear mystery, suspense, scifi, and horror stories. old time radio or modern stuff. I've found a couple OTR shows:

radio detective story hour
great detectives of old time radio

but don't have complete archives. Any other recommendations?

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

enthe0s posted:

http://thetruthpodcast.com/The_Truth.html is like Twilight Zone in audio form, been enjoying it immensely. Really fantastic storytelling with some creepiness/mystery/scifi going on.

I've listened to all of the truth. It is well produced, but the stories themselves are just OK.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

quadrophrenic posted:

I want a politics/news podcast. Not dry and informative, but not necessarily "funny" either. Left-leaning would be nice. Something with punditry, but well-informed, reasonable punditry.

Basically this election season is crazy, the Bugle has stopped updating, and The Rachel Maddow Show has helped me commiserate with the craziness a bit, but I want more.

Best of the Left is a ~2x weekly gathering of commentary and clips from various left-leaning news shows.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

CelestialScribe posted:

Any good podcasts for fathers? I've been looking around but they're either lovely quality or the hosts are boring. Looking for good, engaging content about real problems with intelligent hosts. Hopefully beyond more than "lol here's how to change a diaper".

Slate has a podcast called "mom and dad are fighting" that's about parenting topics. I'm not a parent so I have no idea if it's good, but slate is generally high quality.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Gripweed posted:

So far it's been all construction and urban stuff, but Well There's Your Problem is a good new disaster podcast by good Youtube guy Donoteat and good twitter lady aliceavizandum

I started listening to this and it's very good, but I have two issues:

1. episode 4, the hyatt regency walk collapse, is actually episode 3 all over again

2. I don't listen to podcasts when I can also watch a youtube of slides. Lots of modern podcast apps (like overcast, the best iOS podcast app) include chapter support, and further include custom artwork by chapter within an episode. So in addition to linking to a youtube of the slides, if they could show a custom image of each slide as it comes up, more people would see the slides while listening.

Incidentally, the creator of overcast made a free tool to help podcasters do just this!

https://overcast.fm/forecast

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Blast of Confetti posted:

Are there any good 50's style noire podcasts or podcasts from around that time that are fictional narrative based and not very music heavy? Playing Fallout New Vegas and I'm tired of Big Iron

The Great Detectives of Old Time Radio is a daily rotating golden age crime drama

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

Anyone have suggestions for narrative/serialized fiction podcasts?

there's an entire thread of recommendations here:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3826110

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Spotify acquired the ringer mainly for their podcast network, reportedly for $250M. It’s gonna suck when all the ringer’s shows go Spotify exclusive, but I won’t leave overcast.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Lampsacus posted:

Friendly Fire. West produced war movies discussed and deviated from.

if you like Friendly Fire you might want to check out other podcasts featuring national treasure John Roderick:

Roderick on the Line: John's long running weekly conversation with SF-based productivity expert Merlin Mann. Mostly John telling stories about his life and Merlin getting increasingly anxious about how they end.

Road Work: John's ~weekly conversation with podcast network owner Dan Benjamin mostly about inner self reflection.

Omnibus: John's newer show with Jeopardy's Ken Jennings about ephemeral subjects, framed as a time capsule for future generations to understand our weirdness.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Lampsacus posted:

Thank you!!

If you have the time, I cannot recommend starting at ROTL episode 0 and going all the way through, enough.

Yes, it is 379 >1 hour episodes spread out over 9 years, but the story arcs the show has generated (Merlin's cat, John's attempts to get back into music, John's run for Seattle city council, Supertrain, John's attempt to hide the name of his daughter for years, John's many dealings with houses and renovations, etc) are really the cornerstone of the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Intelligence Squared is another debate show