Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I've been binging Lore. It's really good IMO.

This is a general thought, not a response to the above post. Sorry!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I need more horror/generally creepy podcasts, ideally contained stories like The Magnus Archives or Lore, but not ones that rely on jump scares. Oh, Knifepoint is great too but it updates so rarely. :(

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I know of several of these but thanks! Good stuff.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

jng2058 posted:

The Black Tapes has a similar structure as The Magnus Archives.

I also know enough to know that TBT fell off a cliff and the creators seem like douches but maybe I'll check it out. Thanks all.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Brocktoon posted:

I stopped listening in Season 2 when I got bored, but I want to know more about this.

Well it's other PNWS stuff but they started the most absurd Kickstarter I've ever seen for season 2 of Rabbits ($50k for 8 episodes of a goddamn podcast) with literally offensive reward tiers (you didn't get a t-shirt until like $500 or something) and THEN they said they were also gonna start a Patreon in ADDITION to that. Just absolutely absurd.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Brocktoon posted:

gently caress that noise. I'm ticking Rabbits off my "to listen" list, then.

It gets worse. People called them out on their poo poo in the comments section of the campaign and they were utter douches about the whole thing. Oh and the tiers were $100 for a live video chat (and all the other stuff) but A THOUSAND loving GODDAMN DOLLARS for a shirt.

They didn't even get $20k, probably because the reward tiers sucked rear end, the goal was absurd, and they were assholes to anyone who wasn't an utter sycophant.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Guy Mann posted:

Controversial opinion but I think it's OK for people to want to be paid for the things they make.

It's not like payment, it's the amount of payment combined with the attitude involved.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Azathoth posted:

Astonishing Legends and Not Alone for more "serious" takes and What If? for comedy.

Astonishing Legends is really good. Thanks for making me aware of it!

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Do we have a true crime podcast mega thread? Figure we could use one but I ain't the one to do it
I think Casefile is the average most embraced least criticized one, right? (I'm not bothering with last house on the left or whatever sorry). It's not quite as stylish as Sword and Scale but it's got far less dumb takes for midwestern white moms about schizophrenia or the true nature of criminals or w/e and as far as I know it doesn't feature a lazy rear end in a top hat host who just like...makes episodes where he plays the full audio of some 3 guys 1 hammer (whatever that was called) type tape

My only casefilm criticism is drat the writing could use some more editing. It's tedious as all hell hearing Aussie dude decide to launch into like ten minutes of unnecessary set up where he describes the history of that region of Australia or worse decides to summarize the Iraq war. :lol: I get why stuff like that is there but they oughta cut some of the fat off these eps more often. Especially when a lot of the case files just kind of feel like they end up redundant in their subject matter but I guess that's inevitable as you churn out more.

If we did I'd follow the crap out of it. I love true crime podcasts.

My problem with Last Podcast on the Left is that the one guy laughs at EVERYTHING. Including his own jokes.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I just binged The Gateway and it honestly made me angry. She wasn't loving abused, at least not with a satanic cult or what the gently caress ever. God that woman and her methods disgust me.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So I listened to Up And Vanished and I Googled something about someone who contributed to the podcast and stumbled upon the Reddit and holy poo poo the toxicity is over the loving top. Admittedly the guy who made it seems like a bit of a douchebag who can't take criticism but because of the nature of the case the podcast covered, I could see a lot of the negative stuff about him being a bit of a circle jerk from a small group of people. I googled some of the alleged bad poo poo about him and can't find anything.

Anyone else know anything about this?

Edit: This post is vague because I don't want to spoil anything as the podcast was done in real time and honestly that makes it that much more of a mindfuck.

SamuraiFoochs fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Jul 24, 2018

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I get all that and that's valid, I'm talking about poo poo like he slept with a fan and that's why he and his wife got divorced, or the idea that him getting mad at a particular interviewee wasn't justified. She was downplaying her ex boyfriend burning a body and making it all about her and him while almost completely dehumanizing the victim for fucks sake. I wanted to choke her at that point, too.

There was and is plenty of valid criticism but aspects of it seemed overblown, misguided, or possibly made up on the fan thing.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Since I was talking about true crime, for those who might enjoy true crime with a bit more of a "shooting the poo poo" vibe, I'm really enjoying True Crime Garage for the most part.

Their episodes on the West Memphis Three have inspired me to rewatch the Paradise Lost films and I'm not gonna say that I'm positive the WM3 are innocent but I sure as poo poo wouldn't convict them and I think they're far more likely innocent than not.

IMO TCG is like if LPOTL (which I don't hate but there are definitely things that put me off of it as a regular listen) didn't have the gleeful laughs about rape and murder.

SamuraiFoochs fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Jul 30, 2018

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Thanks guys!

Yeah True Crime Garage is pretty much EXACTLY what you're looking for. Almost literally a description of it.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So with Stitcher (my podcast aggregator of choice) shutting down soon, are Spotify, Amazon, Apple, and Google my only options with both apps and websites to allow for easy continued listening across devices? Also do any of those 4 allow for the importing of external RSS feeds for like Patreon content and whatnot?

This makes me so sad. :(

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

101 posted:

PocketCasts supports all the platforms, has a web player, and allows external feeds

If you're into the Apple ecosystem then Overcast

I am not, so PocketCasts it is for me!

I assume they allow for importing of show lists? I've already downloaded my Stitcher list and emailed it to myself. Also thanks friend! Already had another homie recommend PocketCasts, so it seems like that's the choice! :)

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

101 posted:

Assuming Stitcher gave you an OPML file, then yeah

No worries :)

Yup! Sure did! Does that also track listening history or just follows/subscriptions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

101 posted:

I believe just subscriptions, but it's been a few years since I've done it

That's what I figured, but ah well.