Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I'm sure Gilbert Gottfried's Amazing Colossal Podcast has been recommended here at some point, but it's one of my favorites. It started out as a podcast talking to people who were involved in old Universal horror movies, but it evolved to encompass old, nearly-forgotten movies, TV shows, and actors as well as the occasional stand-up comic. If the thought of Gilbert laughing many times an episode scares you, then suck it up. It's funny, entertaining, and you learn a lot of stories about old actors. My favorite moment was when Gilbert and Dick Van Dyke (still alive and kicking at 91 years old) sang "Supercalafragalisticexpialadocious" together.

For sports likers, and hockey likers in particular, there is Real Good Show. It's hosted by three people with no real fame to speak of (although one of them has a sizable Twitter following) but they're funny. When two of them aren't angry about the Canucks (the third guy is a Maple Leafs fan), they're busy talking about weird and funny moments in sports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

There was a new episode of How Was Your Week this Friday. I forgot how much I loved hearing Julie Klausner just ramble about stuff.

TheFallenEvincar posted:

he's a basketball man
kind of a hate/love listen, where you listen to a podcast personality because 50% of the time it's easy to hate on his rear end
I've hated Simmons since he was a nobody columnist in ESPN the Magazine, back in the late '90s. Even then he seemed very smug.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Invisible Ted posted:

I'm looking for some new podcasts with long backlogs of episodes, anything covering investigative journalism, philosophy, news, politics, etc.
Chapo Trap House only has like 12 episodes so far, but if you want your current events podcasts to be funny and brutal towards awful people in news and journalism while also having hosts who know what they're talking about, then it should be right up your alley.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

It's good to see some Grey Wolves in this thread. The last non-premium Chapo episode was quite a downer, but I think they're being overly pessimistic about this election. Trump is really digging himself into a hole by continuing to piss off the family of a decorated veteran just because he was Muslim. Rule one of being an effective fascist: don't talk poo poo about the military. I'd argue that The DigCast (also done by Felix) is even better. Also listen to The Scumbag, a third podcast done by Felix as well as Ed Zitron, a British guy with a name that sounds like a Transformers character.

I love Cum Town, but it really depends on your tolerance for guys talking about nothing in particular. Personally, I think they're funny as hell. The David Cross interview sucked, but apparently he's not a very good interview subject to begin with. Sometimes there's context: Seth Dickfield is based off of a real comedian in the New York scene, and that Austin Powers bit came to be because Nick just responded to every tweet Sady Doyle made with a pic of Doctor Evil with the meme text, "How about no?"

I'm glad that there are regular episodes of How Was Your Week? again now that Difficult People is out. I don't know how Julie Klausner makes can talk about Cats on Broadway for a half hour without making me want to listen to something else. She just has this charm.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Could be worse, they could be hawking Fleshlight. :barf:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I'm surprised that the best discussion about rape accusations came from the latest episode of Cum Town, a podcast where the hosts regularly joke about how white people can't say the n-word.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

That's a bit of a misrepresentation about Chapo. It's not that they don't like talking about race, it's that they don't like how some people talking about race present it as independent from problems of economic inequality. That's what a fair amount of people did during the primary- Amanda Marcotte, Sady Doyle, Ta-Nehisi Coates to an extent. And to their credit, they did say on a recent episode that they should bring on more women and nonwhite people. Also, the Cum Town debate had a woman guest on it. They're trying.

I do agree that they're funny, though.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I love watching Difficult People and seeing all these moments and jokes from How Was Your Week on it. I hope Julie makes a new HWYW soon.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

It's unfortunate that Pardon My Take, the Barstool Sports podcast with PFT Commenter, is just OK, as well as the fact that he left SB Nation in the first place. If anyone has a truly funny sports podcast that isn't focused on hockey (I already listen a few of those), drop some names.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Since no one answered my question about entertaining general sports podcasts, I assume not many people listen to them here. That means no one has listened to how self-indulgent Real Good Show has gotten. It's seemingly become a podcast about itself- its last two episodes had no sports chat and were focused on bits that they've done and jokes that have been popular in the past. Hockey season can't come soon enough, it'll distract me from the New York Giants tire fire and give them an opportunity to talk about sports.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Like maybe Bill Simmons would be a possibility if you find that dude funny or entertaining
I'm an OG Bill Simmons hater, I thought he was obnoxious and full of himself ever since he was a nobody columni st for ESPN the Magazine in the late '90s.

So there's nothing like Puck Soup or Marek vs. Wyshynski for other sports or sports in general? That's a shame, but I'll live.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Puck Soup is better than it has any right to be. Hockey fans should give it a listen- it's funny and Greg and Dave have great chemistry. On the most recent episode, I loved listening to Will Leitch talk about Deadspin when he ran it- it's a great comparison between what it was then and what it became after Tommy Craggs took a wrecking ball to it into the present day. He even talks about a disagreement they had- Leitch said that they shouldn't write for the approval of the people who already like and read Deadspin. Craggs disagreed, and it sure showed after he took it over.

I wish they made consistently entertaining general sports podcasts like there are for hockey. Pardon My Take is OK, but I shouldn't be allowed to use that term to describe anything that PFT Commenter is involved with.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I gotta admit, I haven't listened to Chapo regularly in a while. It's become just another "talk about current events" show, for the most part, although I'll still listen to stuff like the recent one about the West Virginia teachers' strike that focus mostly on a single issue. Every time I see a description of an episode that's about multiple news stories, I think back to the very first episode where they say they didn't want to become another Daily Show and sigh. And when their reading series involves one of the rotating gang of villains, I think back to a few episodes after the first one, when they responded to Baseball Crank mania by saying they don't want to overfocus on one person, and sigh again. And yeah, they lay the "references as humor" on a little thick, though not to the extent of someone like John Oliver.

As for stuff I am currently listening to: How Was Your Week is back to coming out with weekly episodes. It's the only good thing about Difficult People getting canceled and Julie Klausner being currently unemployed. She was rather harsh about the bichon frese that won the Westminster Dog Show, though.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I was wondering why I kept subscribing to The Scumbag when there was no indication that they'd ever make another episode, but it's back with just Ed Zitron (also, how is that the name of an actual human being?). I guess the first episode back got the guest to realize that Twitter is horrible, causing him to quit.

For those who don't remember The Scumbag or don't know, it's a podcast about the bad aspects of the internet.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Greg Wyshynski and Julie Klausner are very similar: they're essential to podcasting, but goddamn they can be annoying sometimes. I honestly haven't listened to ESPN On Ice in months because Greg won't shut up about Vegas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

It pains me to say this because it's the first podcast I ever subscribed to, but I'm pretty close to giving up on How Was Your Week. Hollywood's changed Julie for the worse. On one recent episode, she admitted that because of fear of unemployment in the industry, she's not going to keep doing the kind of stuff that got her into hot water before Difficult People. Part of her charm was that Joan Rivers-like quality of saying things about celebrities that got people riled up and not apologizing for it (Pauley Perrette and Zendaya, to name a couple of cases), so hearing her apologize for a tame joke she made about Ariana Grande and Pete Davidson made me sad. Also, some of her segments are just reading things from online, like responses to her question in a private Facebook group about naughty things basset hounds have done to their owners, or responses that Jon Lovitz tweeted to people who challenged him on the latest Scarlett Johansson scandal. Less of that, more quirky thoughts about weird and esoteric topics.