Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'
Really enjoying this Decoding the Gurus podcast where they scrutinise the different secular gurus that abound on the internet these days. Really funny at times and insightful in terms of deconstructing their manipulative tricks and ulterior motives. Strong recommend https://decoding-the-gurus.captivate.fm/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'
It’s so good. By far my favourite podcast right now, important work I reckon and laugh out loud funny at times

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'
Although it’s just finished now this was a 10/10 music podcast and has 439 episodes to dive into. The Independent Music Podcast

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/independent-music-podcast/id981100481

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'
Does anyone have any recommendations for anything on a similar vibe to Decoding the Gurus? Anything similar would be cool but would be particularly interested in stuff deconstructing self-help quackary, or even more so Buddhist exceptionalism, neo-Advaita and other adjacent spiritual fraff. I find it heartening to no end for the Decoding the Gurus people not to shy away from criticising Buddhism, as it’s still sort of a sacred cow in a lot of circles. I’m trying to escape from a number of harmful Buddhist philosophical views so that sort of content is gold dust to me. But any similar stuff to DtG even without that focus would be appreciated

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'
While I like the idea of If Books Could Kill and Conspirituality my first impressions of both is they’re a bit less fun and lighthearted and as such don’t really appeal.. there’s way too much seriousness in those realms already imo and the DtG people joking around with it and making it into entertainment is a big part of the appeal to me. I may or may not return to those pods after I run out of the DtG eps tho

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'
This UK based comedy pod BudPod is something I quite enjoy

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/budpod-with-phil-wang-pierre-novellie/id1454237999

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'
Now I’m onto Knowledge Fight which is really entertaining despite not having much experience of Alex Jones’ output. Great comedic timing and energy and feel like it’s further immunising against bullshit in a similar way to Decoding the Gurus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'
Anyone got any links to high quality criticism of Sam Harris other than on Decoding the Gurus? Whether that’s podcast, articles or YouTube I’m easy.

Also, tangentially I see Jung has fallen out of favour with the left. For bonus points anyone know of any spicy critiques of him?

Apologies if this is the wrong thread for this