Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

ClydeUmney posted:

Have you listened to The Tobolowsky Files? It's stories about movies and life told by Stephen Tobolowsky, who's probably most famous as Ned Ryerson from Groundhog Day. Tobolowsky manages to tell incredible stories about moviemaking (his episodes on Deadwood and Groundhog Day are amazing and compelling), but his best work starts as a story about one thing and becomes something incredibly different and profoundly moving. Both podcasts about Mississippi Burning are incredible for this.

I just want to chime in and re-recommend this podcast. Stephen Tobolowsky is such a great storyteller, and seems to be an all-around great guy. You'd be doing your heart and mind a service by checking them out.

Another recommendation for a podcast that I wish would update more is Ask Mr Biggs.

It's a partly-written, partly-improvised comedy show based around 2 radio hosts, Roger and Mr Biggs, as they host a general call-in show. Roger is the meek and mild straight-man to Mr Bigg's boisterous and know-it-all personality.

Aside from how well the two play off of each other, the best part of the show is, for me, the fact that none of the calls are 'real'. I mean, they're real, but they're from other shows. The guys behind AMB have taken those calls, edited out the original host, and have practically redone the whole thing. The subjects and conversations that come from this are loving phenomenal, and I strongly urge anyone who's interested in laughing at things that are funny to check them out.

I've posted this a few times before, in other 'recommend me a podcast' threads, but no one's replied to second it, or even that they've checked it out. I'm going to assume it's because everyone's already listening, and knows that it'd be pointless to preach to the choir. :colbert:

EDIT: I actually started with episode 17, in which Mr Biggs simplifies digital TV. Check it out here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Does anyone know of a good sound design podcast, specifically for game audio? Any podcast for sound would do, but if you know of a game-related one would be great.

EDIT: I found this http://www.gameaudiopodcast.com/, but can't listen right now. Any fellow audio goons out there know of any that are worth a drat?

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Oct 23, 2011

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Does anyone know of a good sound design podcast, specifically for game audio? Any podcast for sound would do, but if you know of a game-related one would be great.

EDIT: I found this http://www.gameaudiopodcast.com/, but can't listen right now. Any fellow audio goons out there know of any that are worth a drat?

Quoting myself, but this pretty much is the be-all, end-all podcast for video game audio. Real sound designers/composers from ACTUAL AAA game companies are invited as guests/co-hosts, and I'm just geeking out over here because of it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

SammyWhereAreYou posted:

It's...cute? and inventive and definitely not bad, but it's probably only to the taste of people who like this kind of thing to begin with.

Well, the way I look at it is, if you've ever heard really bad local radio, then AMB would probably appeal to you more than others. Then again, about 50% of people I know enjoy AMB. Those who love it, REALLY love it, myself being an example.

It's weird, but I find the same sort of thing with Kids in the Hall (off-topic, I know...); I loving love them, a lot of my friends do, and then some people, who, yes, have a sense of humour, watch the show and just don't 'get it'. There's not much to get, I like it because, even for minor characters, they seem to put so much effort into perfecting every nuance, and I find that both Roger and Biggs are played the same way. To me, everything is done just so well that I love it. Not saying it's the best podcast out there, but it's definitely my favourite.

I'm a sucker for things that build up their own ... urgh, can't think of a better word than 'mythology', even though that's totally wrong. Listening to AMB, you could see a place like Whizzbangs existing, and being run by a guy like Biggs, and it being totally mismanaged. I can picture someone like Roger going home and ironing his socks, and I can practically see Biggs sitting there in a huge purple track suit.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Glitterbomber posted:

So are there any good paranormal/cryptid kinda podcasts that aren't either complete idiots going 'I FELT COLD WHEN I WENT INTO MY HOUSE SO THIS IS 100% PROOF OF GHOSTS' or smug dicks laughing at the very concept of strange things happening? I tried listening to the Weird Things podcast and while they had some hilarious moments, I had to filter through 20 minute libertarian rambling and "GUYS THE SINGULARITY IS COMING RIGHT NOW IF ONLY STUPID OBAMA HADN'T RUINED NASA AND LITERALLY KILLED SCIENCE SPACEX SAVE US!!!!" stuff and eventually got sick of it.

A friend of mine and I were going to have a podcast where we'd talk about paranormal stuff. See, I used to believe in it all, but now I've become 100% totally disillusioned with it all, I sincerely believe that ghosts don't exist. My friend still really does, so we'd be discussing these things from both sides.

We made one episode, but then realized that someone else could probably do this a lot better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I can't search for it here at work, but I know there's a podcast out there about boardgames, and I think the hosts actually play the game during the show, describing what's going on and all of that while playing, to give people a full review of whether the game in question is any good. poo poo, I wish I could remember the name of it... help?

EDIT: Found it, Game Night Guys. -> http://gamenightguys.com/

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Apr 2, 2012