Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.

SammyWhereAreYou posted:

I need to recommend Losing the Sheen.

It's described as the only Two and a Half Men fancast for people who don't watch Two and a Half Men. Justin from My Brother, My Brother and Me and his wife, who never saw a single episode of Two and a Half Men prior to Aston Kutcher joining the cast, force themselves to watch each week and provide really funny reviews mainly focusing on how painfully unfunny TV's Favorite Comedy is.

Anyone that has ever been deeply confused and somehow distressed by the popularity of TaaHM (when they themselves watched it once and didn't so much as smile during the entire episode), will appreciate this.

Thank you for this. There are times listening to this that I have to stop whatever I'm doing because I'm laughing too hard.

For my own request, I just started listening to podcasts as of literally two days ago when I started listening to Watch Out For Fireballs (which is great, by the way). I'm just looking for what are the general "popular" podcasts for a newbie to podcasts. If there's a thread for this that I missed, that'd be awesome too. Generally I like comedy, pop culture, video games, and blends of all that...I grabbed some of the history podcasts posted here as well. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

SammyWhereAreYou posted:

As far as comedy podcasts go,(can't help ya out much with the other stuff)you could use the same resource I did: Comedy Podcast Megathread - Like radio, but with the C-word. Decent descriptions are give of the most popular podcasts.

The only correct choice is Uhh Yeah Dude, though. Just listen to UYD.

EDIT: UYD covers a lot of popculture also, and The Nerdist brings comedy to all kinds of nerd culture.

Thanks for this! Picked out some great ones (including The Smartest Man in the World which is loving hilarious, and Uhh Yeah Dude, which is also great).

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

I just want to throw out that I'm really happy that You Look Nice Today is making new content again. I've been listening to it whilst plaing Diablo 3 and there have been more than a couple times where I died from laughing too hard to pay attention to the game. It's a great, utterly silly podcast.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Lampsacus posted:

I just want to share the podcasts I listen to regularly. They've all found that sweet spot between professional good content and casual fun banter between the hosts.

The Dice Tower
The biggest board game podcast. Two hosts both good but Tom Vassal is pretty much the meat of the show. He's been on since the beginning and is a very good reviewer. The board game hobby can get pretty splergy and he provides a reasonably sane voice on the industry. They talk everything from individual components to cons and designers to the state of the hobby. It's very consistent from the beginning (well, maybe in the 20s).

Partially Examined Life
The only philosophy podcast I can actually listen to. Seriously, everybody else seems to think they have to talk like the equivalent of a Kant text. It's cheerful but deep. The length is good (1:30 hours) and the hosts are lucid and quick.

Already known by pretty much all of you-podcasts:

This American Life
It's got a thread in RGD so I'll just give it an abstract interpretation:
Warm stories told amongst friends during supper. Cosy and like a dark hot chocolate on a cold day.

Loveline
If you've seen the thread but never bothered to click on it because we all have threads like that, refrain no more! It's extremely informative and funny. Kinda makes me weirdly nostalgic to live in small town America in the 90s. I mean, it would probably have been a bit poo poo but whatever. The best episodes are from the late 90s/early 2000s so in retrospect they all have this different-time-different-way-of-seeing-the-world vibe. Being gay was OK but most people didn't want marriage. 9/11 hadn't happened, the internet was scary, and Linkin Park were the business.

All the above podcasts are at least an hour. A long podcast is a good podcast.

Can anyone recommend a good travel/backpacking podcast? Thanks.

Ooh, thanks for some of these. The Dice Tower and Partially Examined Life sound interesting. I also need to get around to listening to This American Life, geez.

Can anyone recommend any tabletop gaming podcasts? I listened to some episodes of Fear the Boot or something like that, and they talked about every game except what I play (D&D 4e) and I got turned off when the one offhand remark they made about it basically made them seem like they knew nothing about it but just knew they didn't like it which seemed silly. Thanks!