Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Couple recommendations:

Slate Political Gabfest - Smart people talk about politics.

Slate Cultural Gabfest - Smart people talk about culture.

NPR Pop Culture Happy Hour - Like the above but somewhat better IMHO.

Via the Slate Culture Gabfest I also got to know The History of English, a really great well presented discussion about the remote past(for now) of the English language. It's detailed enough to be fascinating without being too dry and academic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

feedmyleg posted:

What about any other history podcasts, outside of this, Hardcore History, The History of Rome, and The China History Podcast?

Is there a good one on Ancient Greece? Or Japan? Or European imperialism/trade/Age of Discovery? Or, really, I'd be into anything extensive and interesting enough.

History of Rome is great. China History Podcast is OK, I have a feeling the guy is spreading himself a bit too thin sometimes but he sure is enthusiastic. I don't really like Hardcore History. The guy has some odd political views and his style of presentation is kind of weird with strange pauses and stuff.

It was recommended in another thread but NPR's Backstory is great for American politics, although there aren't that many episodes yet.

My history can beat up your politics is also pretty good but a lot of it is really...arcane stuff dealing with American political history that can be a hard slog if it's not your thing.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

The Muffinlord posted:

So I'm looking for a new podcast, specifically a car show. I listen to a bunch of comedy podcasts(The Mike O'Meara Show, Big O and Dukes, Sklarbro Country, Doug Loves Movies, Comedy Bang Bang), and I don't really want a super serious car guy discussion, but I don't just want an e/n podcast by a car guy, like Adam Carolla's podcast. I just want car news and funny car stories, maybe the occasional car help segment or something. Can anyone recommend anything that I might like?

I don't like Car Talk really, I don't really get the humor, and I actively hate Adam Carolla because he's an unfunny racist moron.

I do like:

Gareth Jones on Speed. Bunch of British car guys, they even write and perform their own automotive themed music. A lot of it is European motorsports/F1, though, which Americans might not follow.

Autoline, specifically the "After Hours". It's not humor per se but more like an industry talk show, the host is a pretty well connected automotive journalist and his co-host use to be a somewhat senior guy at General Motors, their panel will include another heavy hitter, usually like the editor of Motor Trend or something like that, and their always have great and insightful interviews with authors and industry bigwigss like Ralph Gilles, or the head engineer or designer of a particular brand.I love it to death, but it might be a little too serious for you.

Also the Autoblog podcast, every week for a nice little round up of news.

I've tried pretty much every other car podcast out there and they're all poo poo.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Maduo posted:

Are there any good political podcasts with a comedic slant out there? I love The Bugle and I've been looking for other podcasts like it.

Jimmy Dore's Comedy and Everything Else talks about politics a lot, but it's more like a comedy podcast with gratuitous amounts of political ranting. Actually that's one reason I eventually gave up on it, because while I share his political outlook, he plainly just doesn't know a lot about some of the stuff he's ranting about and listening to it was getting tedious.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Sorry, for actual irreverant political podcasts, there is NPR's It's all Politics and Slate's Political Gabfest.