Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Confusedslight posted:

I'm itching to get into a new podcast so does anyone know of any crime podcasts that delve into cold cases?

Do you specifically want cold cases/unsolved crimes or just general true crime? I don't think there are quite as many covering cold cases, because except for the really big ones most podcasts don't like to have something that doesn't have a clear end to the narrative.

Going over my way too full list:

Casefile is usually the preferred goon podcast for general true crime, but I'd say only about 30% to 50% are cold cases. It's good if you like simple, serious coverage of cases or cases that led to big developments.

The Trail Went Cold is all unsolved mysteries and started out as basically a fan podcast to talk about old Unsolved Mysteries episodes. It has the good and bad that comes with that. There's a little too much reliance on a guy touching on the matching TV episode and web sleuth forums but it also has some good coverage of events sometimes. Also he talks like an old timey radio host. You'll either like it or bounce off of it. I kind of like it overall.

Trace Evidence sounds like what you're looking for. I don't remember why I added it and haven't listened to an episode yet though. Apparently they nerd out about the evidence side of things. Either a goon or someone in the Casefile reddit recommended it.

Overall the PYF Unnerving Article or Story thread here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3631148 drifts back into podcast talk and recommendations every 5 or 10 pages. A quick search for podcast should point out the ones that I missed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Yeah, Overcast is pretty great and free.

Gripweed posted:

I found it super boring. But I also hated S-Town, which pitched itself as an investigation into small town crime and corruption but was just about a weird guy, and people liked that so ymmv.

S-Town is a fascinating story about reporting, how your perspective changes your view of the story, an interesting small story about a strange man and a slightly cathartic rip on small cities if you happen to hate the city you grew up in/are stuck in.

As long as you don't realize that it didn't mean to do most of that and was mostly a bored dude kind of developing a weird obsession with an interview subject and going to great lengths to avoid discussing the massive racism hiding in the shadows, it stays pretty alright. Boy was that a podcast that just fell off the rails by the end.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
That announcement that they were overworked and taking a few months off just to get all their ducks in a row and that then they were going to put out the really good episodes wasn't a great sign. So this isn't too surprising. It had a good run though.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Yeah, the only time ads or a Patreon read negatively stood out to me was when the Dollop would do a huge block at the start. Most people got in the habit of just skipping the whole thing until they started having to mix in bits and jokes.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

magic cactus posted:

I'm not exactly sure if I have the right subforum for this, but the description does mention radio shows so.

I'm looking for podcasts that might be similar in style to the comedy albums of The Firesign Theater. Kind of like surreal radio plays with a rapid "have to rewind to catch all the jokes" feel to them. I tried posting on a podcast subreddit and someone there mentioned nightvale but it didn't really work for me. I'm unfamiliar with the wide world of podcasts generally so I'm wondering if anyone here can point me in the right direction if something like that exists.

I hate to recommend stuff I haven't listened to too much, but if you're looking for dense, scripted comedy I think I heard good things about Beef and Dairy Network. I listened to an episode or two and thought it was fine, and have always meant to go back to it. Very British, the ones I remember felt a look like the show Look Around You, if that helps.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Haven't seen Casefile mentioned yet, and it's usually a good recommendation for straightforward true crime (unless I missed them doing something bad in the last year or so).

I think their earliest episodes were a little bad about going full Radiolab with sound effects, but anything in the last few years are solid. Respectful with a focus on the victims and they're good about research. They're mostly 1 and dones though. They cover both solved and unsolved cases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Having never listened to it, because I missed out on DBZ the first time so I don't have nostalgia, I think the boring answer is that they at least used to have a lot of guests and crossovers so different people listened to hear the guy they knew talk to the guys they didn't and stuck around. The old focus was letting non anime nerds from other places nerd out about it and have good banter. No idea how it is now. Heard it used to be kind of funny and people liked it well enough as a hangout time :ms:.