Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
A friend recently turned me on to NPR's Intelligence Squared, an "Oxford-style" debate program that in each episode features four different experts debating an issue (2 vs. 2) and trying to change the minds of as many audience members as possible. They only crank out one episode a month but the few I've listened to thus far have all been good, and the archive goes back to 2006 and there's a pretty good breadth of topics in there. The show was inspired by a British show of the same name though I don't know much about that original version.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 04:32 on May 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I'm using Google Reader and haven't had much to complain about. App's free on the Marketplace.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Helical Nightmares posted:

'12 byzantine rulers' by Lars Brownworth and 'Norman Centuries' are both excellent.

I'll throw in another vote for these as well. Brownworth does/did both of them, so you could probably find them in the same spot.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
If anyone has some sort of podcast RSS feed and is subscribed to Planet Money, have you been getting a ton of dud, repeat updates from them lately? It feels like once an hour I'll get a new posting from them that's nothing more than an article title- no actual text or a link to anything is included. It's really annoying and I can't figure out why it spits out all this junk.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Maduo posted:

Are there any good political podcasts with a comedic slant out there? I love The Bugle and I've been looking for other podcasts like it.

You could try No Agenda but YMMV, they can get pretty :tinfoil: at times though it often leads in humorous directions.

Also, Planet Money's new habit of posting a dozen blank updates to my Reader feed each day finally pays off-

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Glitterbomber posted:

Hey guys, The Comedy Button just updated with a 'best of' show for the year, it's a good place to get into it and see if it's your thing.

Basically if you ever heard the old podcast The Gamespy Debriefings it's that group of game/tech 'press' sitting around and telling dirty jokes and being assholes. I really enjoy it and think it needs some love.

Also before this they did a rifftrax on Santa Clause that was awesome, obviously not part of the best of but worth a listen if you enjoy the show.

I'll quote this. Comedy Button is really stupid but it's also really funny in that way, and the fact that it drops on Friday afternoon/evenings helps me unwind after teaching/researching each week.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Norman Centuries updated again, first time since last August :hellyeah:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Jefferoo posted:

Found the best drat podcast you drat well possibly could be listening to WHAT.

http://podcastone.com/pg/jsp/program/episode.jsp?programID=436&pid=239262&buffer_share=9224d&utm_source=buffer

Debuts on the 5th, hosted by Stone Cold Steve Austin, and if you drat well don't know who that is, then well son you'd better watch this because that's the bottom line, because Stone Cold said so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YE9S3zQx_2k

Does this have an RSS feed or anything? Couldn't find one on that podcast site nor his actual site.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Uhh Yeah Dude has a random enough update schedule where you could probably get some on the weekends :v: You should listen to Uhh Yeah Dude anyway, or pull their back catalog and listen to that on weekends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Has Feedly been acting up a little bit for anyone else lately? I've tried downloading a couple NPR podcasts lately (Planet Money a couple days ago, TAL tonight) and my laptop has hard-locked when doing so. Downloading them directly from their respective websites didn't give me any issues.