Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I have a number of podcasts that are just 2-5 people talking, and I like to have them as background noise, but looking at my feed, it's mostly dudes. So I'm looking for more podcasts with female hosts. Any recommendations?

Here are a few I've tried so far:

Call Your Girlfriend - This should be what I would have wanted, but I find these two insufferable. I'm also really not a fan of listening to people get drunk on a show; it's never entertaining.

Lady to Lady - Sometimes good, but most or all of them are performers for a living, and the desperate competition for airtime is wearying. I've found that I tend not to like that in podcasts, to the point that having a non-established stand-up comic on it is kind of a red flag for me. Also I hate hate hate the music.

Glowing Up - This one just started, and it may or may not be what I'm looking for. Although I expect there'll be a heavy focus on consumer products and that'll be kind of boring. Also, one of the hosts is a stand-up comic, which has me slightly worried.

She Does - While something about the style never quite connected with me, I do like it. But it's also most likely over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kangra
May 7, 2012

SalTheBard posted:

Would a podcast with a Women and a Man be ok?

Sure, go ahead and recommend!

Punkin Spunkin posted:

You Must Remember This- Karina Longworth is a good host. Informative/entertaining episodes on cinematic history, they had a solid Manson family series of eps.

I give it an occasional listen (the Manson eps are great). I find a different vibe between single-person shows (that typically are informative and I want to listen to more closely) and those that are more conversational, so I didn't mention those. Although for single-person podcasts hosted by women, Pheobe Judge's Criminal is simply fantastic. And I'm not even much of a fan of true crime/crime reporting.

Also, thanks to everyone else for the recs on all the other shows. I'm curious to give Bang On a shot since I'd also like to add more un-Americans to my listening.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Lester Shy posted:

Any good true crime/mystery podcasts that focus on one case or story each episode? I've checked out a few, but none really grabbed me. My Favorite Murder spent like half the episode doing administrative stuff before talking about anything interesting, and Sword and Scale just annoyed the poo poo out of me.

Also looking for anything folklore related. "Sawbones but about old folk beliefs" would be ideal but I know that's a pretty narrow request.

I just mentioned it in reference to female-hosted podcasts but I think it fits here too: Criminal is very to the point - most episodes are around 30 min. It has a more journalistic style than mystery storytelling, and some episodes are more tangential to the topic, but I think you'd find some you'd like.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

Basically is there an audio only "Let's Play Text Adventure Games"?

The Incomparable Game Show has done a few episodes of "Action Castle" where they play Parsely games, which are essentially old-school text adventures, but with a human GM playing the role of the parser/computer. Since it's multiplayer without collaboration, there is a fair bit of the episode where people are essentially fighting back and forth (or dealing with the one player who just doesn't get it or care).

I'd also put forth the main Incomparable feed as a decent panel show (it's about pop culture, generally of the geeky kind). Probably more of the people on it are middle-aged white guys than not, but there are enough women involved that there's usually at least one on the panel.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

For true-crime adjacent stuff, there's also Criminal. I like it a lot better since the episodes are typically self-contained. I'm not that big a fan of the twisty-turny episodic stories. Criminal is also good in that it takes up tangential topics from time to time.

Also the true crime tragicomedy answer : Trump, Inc. (one big problem being it's a work-in-progress, even for the finished 'season').

On another topic, anyone know what happens that makes shows suddenly duplicate episodes? Inward Empire & My History Can Beat up Your Politics just 'updated' with a bunch of old episodes in iTunes*. I guess it's because they switched their back end or changed the feed somehow.

*Yes, iTunes - when I listen at home it's on a ten-year-old laptop that's pretty much just used to play podcasts and videos.

Kangra fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jun 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Oh yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25F6cdcJvmY