Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulich the Subtle
Nov 25, 2012

Paul is unimpressed by the glories of the Host.
I'm having a hard time finding any good foreign language podcasts. I'm mostly looking for Russian or Bosnian/Croatian/Serbian/Macedonian/etcetcetc ones, but some in Czech would be nice too.

I'd prefer history ones, but politics is fine too. I'd prefer semi-serious stuff, I'd be fine with a podcast on religion. I just need some Slavs mumbling in my ear for long periods of time.

Any suggestions? My main fare is Dan Carlin or NSFWCORP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulich the Subtle
Nov 25, 2012

A_Ruse! posted:

Someone in here recommended Wormwood, a full cast radio-style drama with some cool lovecraftian themes and great characters. I really enjoyed it, but they concluded the series years ago, and I raced through it. Does anyone have any recommendations for similar, serial drama or mysteries? Maybe even something with a hard-boilded detective?

I was in the exact same spot as you and after some intense googling and listening probably your best bet is Edict Zero: FIS. Just trust me and listen, don't look too deep into stuff because some things have happened and spoilers ruin the surprises.

Also The Leviathan Chronicles is very well made and kinda neat to listen to, but also kinda generic sci-fi with enough redeeming qualities so it isn't terrible.

Wormwood was a rather singular experience, sadly.

Vulich the Subtle
Nov 25, 2012

tnimark posted:

I just started listening to Wormwood based on these posts. I'd never really looked into serialised drama podcasts, but I'm really enjoying this. I've looked around and there are a ton of them, but I'm kind of assuming most of them are garbage and there are very few gems out there. Hopefully somebody else will pop into this thread with some more recommendations.

Another one that I quite liked was The Mask of Inanna. Basically old guy gets paid to watch a lighthouse and then immediately gets involved with a Conspiracy. Quite well done, though the main characters voice will take some getting used to.

Quality in radio drama is a strange thing to think about, because a lovely or mediocre story with really good production values might be considered Quality, or the inverse; a really good story with lovely production.

My rule of thumb is to avoid anything that's about zombies or fan-fiction. I won't listen to stuff unless it immediately looks interesting, has won a lot of awards, or gets suggested to me.

I haven't ever used the iTunes Top Chart list, so that might be a good place to look?

Also, I swear I am not shilling, Welcome to Night Vale is also excellent.

Finally, I started listening to Radio Drama Revival, and while I haven't found anything he's talked about to be really worth listening to, there's always a chance something will come down the line.