Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Anyone have any good 'general bullshit but entertaining' podcasts you can recommend? I'm not great at finding good stuff on my own so I'm sure there's tons of stuff that people are listening to but all I've been listening to have been Retsutalk- which was fantastic- the RoosterTeeth stuff and The Official Podcast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

life is a joke posted:

I'm sure people can think of a million more, but is there something you're at least a little interested in focusing on? Politics, pop culture, travel, food, whatever? There's shows for those where it's definitely still mostly just chatting but have a little bit of an anchor, but not to the point where it's too focused.

Yeah, okay that's fair enough. Gimme pop culture, like comic books or something. I'm certainly not watching any documentaries- and I'm too low a denominator for anything decent, I didn't care for Game of Thrones for one- so there's somewhere to start I guess.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Chapo Trap House is a pretty funny politics podcast that occasionally goes into long digressions about The Noid or whether or not Garfield is canonically male

See, I've heard of Chapo Trap House and had no idea that it'd go off the rails into bizarre conversations like that. I thought it was like a sensible people arguing against the Alt-Right clickbait 'Anita Sarkeesian puts man in hospital for buying Senran Kagura; free speech run amok 1984 Orwell state!' videos.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Hey, thanks to whoever recommended What a Time to be Alive. Turned episode 1 and they started off talking about 'Nazis' being mad about Wolfenstein The New Colossus so glad I've got one podcast I'm digging since I dropped The Official Podcast after looking into some of the people they talk about.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I cannot believe What a Time Podcast spent like twenty minutes talking about Redwall.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

That new Moonpie 2:27 into What a Time to Be Alive episode 41 was loving transcendent.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

God bless the What a Time to Be Alive podcast's clip show episode. I completely forgot about the WIDOWMAKER toilet setting. I drat near collapsed at work laughing at that.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

When did What a Time to Be Alive podcast start talking about how Roseanne died in the show? Episode 55 started getting back on that train but I wanna get back to the first appearance of that bit.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Invisible Ted posted:

I believe it's episode 49.

Oh, many thanks, it's such a good section.

Also, Paul F. Tompkins is a delightful guest mainly because I am a sucker for people with a good contagious laugh.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I don't have a twitter account and have zero motivation to make one. And on top of that I have no idea where their discord is or if it's just Patreon supporter only.

Someone with one of them tell the What a Time Pod group about Hbomberguy's charitystream to support a charity that assissts trans youths that ended up raising like 350K$. And also that it was mostly just to spite Graham Linehan in the first place.

The fact that it got enough notice that Cher and Adam Savage retweeted it and even people like Grant Kirkhope and Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez dropped into it for a few minutes should be notable enough to make the list, I'd hope.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Invisible Ted posted:

It was submitted to their patron's suggestion channel a few days ago, so they should hopefully discuss it on the pod.

Awesome, glad to hear it!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Hmm, I haven't listened to What a Time to Be Alive in a while I wonder what's made the news since then, has the news slowed to the point that Hbomberguy's stream made the for the top five since I left off- PATTON OSWALD?!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

So after looking at the podcasts I listen to I realized that my genres seem to be 'people recapping things I've already seen' Sex Archie, Ballin' Out Super, Bizare Podcast: Dogs Must Die. And 'Friends bullshitting with each other for an hour' Retsutalk, Chipod Ironicast, Disc Only. Seems to be a running theme here.

So, does anyone else have any good recommendations? There're plenty of people doing podcasts but I have no idea how to sort through duplicates of stuff so I'd like some recommendations if possible. Any chance anyone knows about a good one on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

WHY BONER NOW posted:

If you're willing to go through another round of dragon ball z, you should listen to all systems goku. Jeff Gerstmann and Dan Rychert from giant bomb go through the series as they watch it for the first time. It's very charming to hear their reactions to the insanity of that show

A fresh look at DbZ? Oh boy that oughta be good. I wonder if Tien getting his arm punched off will blue screen one of them.

Anyone got bad taste and know about any podcasts on CW shows? I'm looking for iZombie and Black Lightning specifically. People going over comic book interpretations of characters sounds kinda interesting.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I gave it like 20 episodes before finally admitting that The Shrieking Shack just wasn't for me. Does anyone have any other podcasts in the same vein of analyzing the Harry Potter series from a critical eye? I just found it to be too mellow for my tastes most of the time, I need like 40% more energy to stay interested, it's like listening to chamomile tea in audio form.

Along those lines, I started listening to Blank Check, if anyone has anything similar I'd love to hear it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Is there anything like Blank Check but for video games? They do movie conversations about what they like about the film and the director and stuff but Griffin always spends like an hour on the process of making it. Which is interesting for me because I know nothing besides that they got made. Like the fact that Sam Raimi Spider-Man 1 and 2 were being made basically at the same time and Tobey Maguire nearly didn't get brought back for 2 is news to me.

I'd love to have that for video games so I could know what kind of stuff got dummied out and blanderized in the finished product. Like the many iterations of Duke Nukem Forever and probably 3 attempts at MGS4.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://player.fm/series/rice-to-meet-you/ep-2-poop-girl-fat-girl-get-a-nose-job-ft-eshaan-akbar

Nigel Ng (a Malaysian comedian)'s/ his funny sketch character Uncle Roger's podcast is hilarious. As the most niche comparison that I can possibly make that only works if you also listen to Ballin' Out Super, he's the exact same kind of unhinged that Alex Ptak is. I'd have to actually be listening to an episode and take specific notes down because I'm absolutely terrible at pointing out specific things I like for other people to understand, it's just very funny. It caught me off guard because I had no idea how intensely they roasted each other constantly.

6.5 Million subscribers so far, the podcast ranges between all comedy and genuinely serious depending on the guest. I like how blunt Nigel can be during it, just jokes rapid fire, able to find a speck of dirt on anyone to roast them over. And it's a lot easier to just target celebrity chefs not being able to cook a single asian dish correctly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_KdbASIkB8

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Nov 4, 2022

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I like recap podcasts on shows or cartoons I watched because since I'm mostly using podcasts to not go insane while at my job listening to warehouse noise and nothing else otherwise so I feel like I'd be terrible at having anything intelligent on.

Has anyone happened to stumble across a good Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. podcast? Between Dogs Must Die, Sex Archie and Homestuck Made this World, I'm really enjoying the fresh watch and discussion format that they have for those, aside from Sex Archie since they're keeping up with the show as it comes out. And aside from in the TV IV threads when the show was on, I never really saw anyone talking about it as it was coming out.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Okua posted:

I don't know about Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D, I just wanted to say that Best Quality Vacuum has been a pretty nice recap podcast for Breaking Bad.

Eh, I appreciate the attempt. As a testament to my hosed up sense of taste, Breaking Bad's not a show I got into. I think I made it to a bit past Gus' death before just stopping because I wasn't that invested.

If anyone has any good animated comic book ones that also elaborate on how characters are different between appearances, I'd be fine with that. Say, a Teen Titans recap that expands on what the Doom Patrol's whole deal is and how Beast Boy was in there compared to the show or something like that.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Someone please explain how podcast advertisements work in the simplest possible terms, I was listening to JeffJeff's Bizarre Adventure which is Jeff Bakalar, Tamoor, Lucy, and SuperEyepatchWolf taking the former through Jojo's Bizarre Adventure- and also One Punch Man and Cowboy Bebop currently- and now the newer ones have crypto ads in the beginning.

I assume it has to be automated on some level because the second one was perfectly targeted for the US state I'm in.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Rick posted:

It depends on which podcast app you use. Some just funnel data about you straight to servers and they insert the ad into the file of the podcast when you download it/while you stream it. Some don't do that directly, but they are able to tell from your IP when you stream/download the podcast where you probably are, and then insert the proper ad there. The Apple Podcast app tries to obfuscate this, but over time they're still able to build a profile on you via who knows how (resting your ID in the settings from time to time seems to at least get you to get more generic ads for a while in downloaded shows, but streaming shows, you still get profiled). Yet other podcast apps download all the podcasts to their own servers--some got in trouble because they would then insert their own ads over the ads that were originally inserted in the podcast, although when Stitcher did this everyone yelled about it and as far as I know that's not happening--but then hilariously you sometimes get ads based on where the server is located for some of these server side download apps.

It's hosed.

For what it's worth the tech doesn't seem to work if you listen to a show on dead metal like an old ipod classic, you get generic ads then.

I'm using Wear Casts to put podcasts on my smart watch so I guess it must just be coming from my IP and wifi. It threw me off when I heard it because not a single one of them are crypto people.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I know this is an old vidoe, but I only just listened to it and it stuck out to me as an odd rant. It's not like tutorials will ever just disappear, people get confused by jump buttons between Nintendo Switch, Xbox and PlayStation already. The only universal buttons we kinda have right now are the start button usually pausing the game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMBMazzybV0&t=3301s

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm dropping Ballin' Out Super. I've rolled my eyes at enough stuff said in some episodes now that I need to just listen to it less. Mainly because of the episode in the wake of the news that Akira Toriyama passed away. It is 3 hours long so I do not expect nor ask anyone else to listen to the entire thing. https://open.spotify.com/episode/0NG8bNadgf0FcJ2kgxj0je?si=d9eae8e665a640fa

The things that bothered me were mostly in the long Palworld, George Lucas, and capitalism rant (Though I don't think that directly gets called out) starting at 1:57:20 'What (George) Lucas and Toriyama both understood was that what they were making inherently were legends' That one just keeps going and seems to have the energy of 'Ever since George Lucas/Akira Toriyama were 2 years old just like Jesus they knew they would go on to make Star Wars/Dr. Slump + Dragonball'

Basically my standards are now at 'Jesus Christ could you people at least read an interview or at the very least a quote said by the author?'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5Dn-cM5J8A&t=2245s
Rank these shows on copaganda level: Paw Patrol, Chip and Dale, Darkwing Duck, Batman, Powerpuff Girls, Law & Order SVU

I'm only familiar with the first Powerpuff Girls show and some Batman animated shows, I assume that one Darkwing Duck episode is doing a parody of Poison Ivy; Perfectly good motivation but you are turning people into dandelions to do it though so that does override the intention.