Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Literally The Worst posted:

Serial is great, Sword and Scale is dope, does anyone have any recs for another good true crime podcast? I need something to listen to for twelve hours while I'm driving from NY to Charlotte in a week.
Anybody else put off by the tone of Sword and Scale? It can get REALLY overheated and cable-news-y, most noticeably in Episode 31 (Canadian-guy-gets-decapitated-on-the-bus episode).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

ChetReckless posted:

I've only listened to a couple of episodes so far (starting from the beginning) but so far the host has a very... true crime writer-y view on mental health. A lot of "anyone around you could be a psychopath, even someone you know!" kinda stuff. I'm not sure that the 'be scared of the mentally ill because they could go off at any time' thing holds up any more. It reminds me of reading books on serial killers when I was in high school 15 years ago.

Its not enough yet to send me away yet, but off putting is a good way to put it.
Yeah I've only listened to the most recent 3 episodes. We know the guy has mental health problems, you don't need to say PSYCHOSIS like Bane would, and yeah also decapitation is pretty gruesome and serious, we're with you, you don't need to waste time circling back to give the Nancy Grace take and fear-monger at every opportunity.

It's sort of the podcast version of when a movie plays a really loud and lugubrious score behind a sad scene. Yeah we know how to feel about this stop loving up the movie please! Anyway, I'll continue listening for now since the subject matter is compelling, but my two cents as someone walking into this and Criminal fresh is that Criminal seems a lot smarter.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

Film Junk is pretty much my favorite and only regularly listened to film podcast. They are Canadians who do reviews of current films, and have a great mix of humor along with actual good film discussion. Not sure how known or popular they are among RGD poster, but thought I would throw them out there if you looking for some good film discussion.
Thanks -- tried it out, it's good. It's pretty long and one guy is definitely spergy but I'm a fan.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Jesus Christ I literally cannot make it through the latest episode of Sword and Scale, though maybe I could have before I had kids. Maybe.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Apropos of nothing, I recommend "Radio War Nerd"
https://www.patreon.com/radiowarnerd

It's like 50% "on the media", except for international reporting mostly re: conflict areas, 25% milhistory, 25% Gary Brecher being Gary Brecher.

edit: had RSS feed there until I realized that it was subscriber only! Sorry! I have subscribed to atone.

pangstrom fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jul 7, 2016

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I like Overcast a lot.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
It was much shorter and ended in a place of (more or less) certainty, at least. But yeah it was similar.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yeah, Criminal is better at letting the story be what the story is. Less Serial-style credulous sympathy for the accused and less Sword-and-Scale-style Nancy Grace terror and righteous fury.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Evil Vin posted:

Just remember guys, every month the Sword and Scale guy makes almost $22,500 on Patreon.
Hey good for him, I guess. Seems kind of unfair it's doubling up what people pay for (say) Radio War Nerd but hey the world is unfair.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Probably has come up already but the other true crime podcast I'd be recommend is Crimetown (though it's less incident-based and more kind of character and organization-based)

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I really like Reply All. One guy's staccato laugh kind of makes my neck hairs stand up but it's not a big deal.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Franchescanado posted:

Why would you ever suggest that to anybody?
I think it's a way of saying "well if you liked that garbage maybe you'll like this garbage"

VVV edit yeah I agree, just didn't know if you got it or not (and I have listened to a ton of Carolla over the years, so I'm not above this or anything)

pangstrom fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Feb 1, 2017

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Tired Moritz posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for podcasts in German? I tried the German language thread but I think it's dead.
Omega Tau has some, but if you aren't into science & engineering (and aeronautics) you might not be interested.
http://omegataupodcast.net/

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
(Although even [especially?] if you're into comedy you'd probably rather listen to a German talk system design than crack jokes.)

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Totally from the cheap seats--know almost nothing about the case, totally nothing about the podcast, have no thoughts about whether it's moral or creepy or whatever--but just on its face it seems really likely from the start that Richard Simmons has some progressive illness or mental illness or dementia or something and wants to be left alone.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I haven't listened to Casefile or True Crime Garage/Guys, will check them out.

This isn't one-case-one-episode format but I like "Detective". The first season at least (haven't got past that) is a Colorado Springs detective going through the types of murders that happen, their relative frequency, strategies for investigation, what he thinks makes a good detective, how things can go pear-shaped, etc. It's focused on the nuts and bolts of solving murders with related stories. I mean it is what it is, for better or worse -- it's not contemplative or accused-sympathetic in that NPR way, it's not accidentally-on-purpose getting the vapors like Sword and Scale. It's also not self-aggrandizing THIN BLUE LINE stuff, either.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
For leftists, wanted to recommend Citations Needed with Nima Shirazi and Adam Johnson. It's basically a more cynical and anti-corporate and bigger-picture On The Media (which is also a great podcast of course).

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Snowmankilla posted:

I was listening to 99% invisible about the colosseum, and remembered that how intrigued I am of the types of battles in the colosseum ( water, animals, ect). Any podcasts that go in depth on that specifically?
The latest Hardcore History isn't too much more in depth on that specifically, but it has that and things like that and some context:
https://www.dancarlin.com/product/hardcore-history-61-blitz-painfotainment/

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I really like Chapo Trap House, though I'm an old normie and don't agree with everything they say and definitely don't get more that 2/3rds the references. (I get most of the SA references; clearly at least one of them was a goon at some point, if that hasn't already been established)

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

theironjef posted:

Speaking as a podcaster living in expensive-rear end San Diego, I can affirm that most of the folks I know don't make the initial call to be a "professional podcaster" before their show exists anyway. I was working at a Trader Joes when I started reviewing RPG books as a hobby, and it took five years to get to the point where the show pays my rent, and we were exceedingly lucky, most shows die on the vine instead. Trying to explain to my girlfriend and the other guy on my show that we were moving to Mudwump, MN so our regulation Patreon-begging wouldn't ring false back when we were getting started would not have worked very well. Even now the cash we make, while enough to pay rent and bills, wouldn't pay to move us somewhere and buy a house from scratch. And we have a life here. Kids and family and everything. I'm supposed to move all them somewhere unrealistic for us so that people feel good about throwing us a buck for bonus content? That argument is the "welfare queens" of excuses to not support the shows you like.

Plus not everyone records with their two brothers and lucked into Polygon gigs early on, so following the McElroys isn't a realistic career progression.
Yeah for patreons etc. there is a "welfare queens" aspect. Otherwise, most of the time that advice lands somewhere on the "hey I'm in inexpensive bumfuck" self-congratulation<->resentment spectrum or it's "hey urban so-called-poor here's a solution for ya" from thick libertarian economists.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
If you like podcasts-about-comedy and missed this one like I did, check out The Old Ones with Mike Birbiglia. Lots of great guests.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Snowmankilla posted:

Kind of random request, but I spent the summer listening to all of the 2 Dope Queen podcast and love when it is just the two hosts being friends/being raunchy /trying to talk each other into anal.

So is there a podcast with comics having raunchy sex or relationship talk where the hosts are preferably women? Or one with male hosts where they do not suck?
I haven't listened to it for years now but Guys We hosed might fit the bill.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Piquai Souban posted:

Just listening to the Goon Hawaii episode as an entry point - the decision to have different voices for each forum poster is a lot of fun. Subscribed!
I recognize a lot of FPlus voices in there.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
99% invisible listeners already know about it but Anthropecene Reviewed is good. It's light history in personal essay form, basically, so it lives or dies based on whether you enjoy the guy's takes and style.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I would love that, too. I think that's going to be (an admittedly less interesting) part of the Epstein story, if he was e.g. kind of a shell entity for Les Wexner to avoid taxes.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Slightly different version is that people who can serve up good analysis must be good at analysis, and those folks aren't going to believe in the paranormal, at least not for very long. If you want somebody to throw a party for you in the middle of the road, the believers will be off-putting for a reason, and the nonbelievers will be off-putting for a reason. If there was INCREDIBLE demand/profitability for such a party, the Malcolm Gladwells of the world would show up and give you what you wanted but drat son do you really want that?

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
People get nervous in front of a crowd and charge harder for easier laughs, tend not to let anything breath etc... also a lot of podcasts edit the hell out of things (which helps the final product a lot of course) but they tend to just release the live ones as is, with maybe some real dead parts trimmed out. The biggest difference for me is the "improv 4 humans" podcast... I almost always enjoy the ones in a sound room and the live shows were just like listening to people practice comedy before I gave up on them. (So I'm sure I missed some good ones but whatever, there are a lot of podcasts). I think the dollop and the how did this get made are the only live podcasts I listen to now, in part because they're almost all live shows now. Your tastes/mileage may vary.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yeah I'm sure the checks are way better than the audible etc. ads get them. Also probably more fun to actually go to one if you're a fan (I went to a Dollop with Felix and Will from Chapo Trap House and it was great other than being overcrowded) than to listen to.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

mrfart posted:

So did somebody find out what the mystery hair growth thing is from the possibly crazy person in the latest episode of reply all?
Asking for a friend.
Haven't listened to it but crazy + hair growth = morgellons, maybe?

edit: Okay it's some software guy who thinks he found a food that regrows your hair (or he says makes you healthier in general, including regrowing your hair), but yeah I think either it's a blip due to who knows what or maybe he has some cycling disorder or thought/delusional disorder or something. Or he's just doing the setup for a scam. My only guess was some bizarre fish's eggs or something.

pangstrom fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jan 30, 2020

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yeah when he was like "I can't afford a supply myself so I'm still losing hair" and "can I get you to send out my email" that's when I thought "oh it's probably a scam". But maybe they kicked the tires a little before publishing, one of those guys is pretty street-smart (and the other very much isn't, I forget who is who).

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Ariza posted:

What are some good east coast based comedy podcasts? I realized that 99% of what I listen to are LA based comedians so I'm a lot more familiar with them which colors what new podcasts I listen to.
They both get a little same-y but James Pietragallo and Jimmie Whisman in Small Town Murder and Crime in Sports are weapons-grade east-coast.

pangstrom fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jul 10, 2020

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
There are worse voices making more amateurish mistakes out there but the most-inexplicably-and-egregiously-and-intentionally?-annoying answer for my money is Michael Barbaro in The Daily.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yeah I like Omega Tau (though not that interested in aerospace so skip a few episodes) and I love ALAB (despite having minimal interest in the law)... Ologies is very "radlib cutesy" for my taste but I wouldn't take issue with someone who loved it, it just makes my skin crawl.

If you are interested in biotech and biotech startups, or if you aren't but are curious about them, "first rounders" is a very good podcast.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Radio War Nerd but it's not just politics and you're going to have to pay for (most of) it

most of the other ones I know of are essentially foreign policy shops, but interested if others have suggestions.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
The other supposedly-good ones I know of that have a lot of RWN listener overlap are Moderate Rebels (mostly US-relevant counterbalance to the built consensus), Parallax Views (haven't listened but he's had some good guests), Silk and Steel (Carl Zha on mostly Asia/China). Trueanon also has a lot of overlap but I listened to one and it was too "expansive" thinking for my taste, or at least that ep was, and yeah not sure how much of it is international.

I haven't listened to the FP shop ones at all so couldn't tell you which are decent or mediocre or awful, it's just the way that kind of thing works, there isn't a ton of authentic bottom-up demand for clear-eyed international stuff and like that's where the money and the top-down supply is.

pangstrom fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jun 4, 2021

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I think what you're talking about is mostly symptomatic of a higher level issue: his "point" is glib and ted-talky-at-BEST, so even the best storytelling is going to just be tarps thrown over the "well, ackshually" scaffold. I don't think the dude has a soul or is genuinely curious about anything. The enthusiasm is fake.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Haven't heard it but the line between good storytelling and obfuscation is very blurry, if there's a line at all. I am a weirdo in this sense but I have trouble with a lot of true-crime narratives for this reason, like I always want the story to work big to small, like I'm along the ride for an investigation. But the real "produced" ones usually hide aspects from you, take you down garden paths etc., which is good storytelling for an Ian McEwan novel or whatever but can be frustrating if you are invested in (say) solving stuff yourself.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Mr Interweb posted:

Can i get some recommendations for single person podcasts, like Dan Carlin?
Even podcasts with one host reflect the metabolized voices many people. No podcast is an island.

You're going to want to watch Aphmau. Yes, it's a youtube channel, and yes it's about minecraft, but it most purely channels the various primordial voices of society.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
closest I've got is "if books could kill", which is mostly a takedown of "smart" or "spiritual" airport books. The sensibility is a little NYT for me and some of the targets are a little soft but I still recommend it.