Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Can i get some recommendations for single person podcasts, like Dan Carlin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

whydirt posted:

Like Revolutions with Mike Duncan?

yes!

pangstrom posted:

Even podcasts with one host reflect the metabolized voices many people. No podcast is an island.

You're going to want to watch Aphmau. Yes, it's a youtube channel, and yes it's about minecraft, but it most purely channels the various primordial voices of society.

Mug of Glop posted:

As others have said, The History of Rome and Revolutions by Mike Duncan are the gold standard.

The History of Philosophy (without any gaps) is mostly one dude talking with occasional interviews every ten or twenty episodes, explicitly inspired by Mike Duncan.

The History of the Crusades is entirely one woman speaking. The first 10 or 20 episodes are terribly recorded, but she gets a better mic.

And finally The Constant: A History of Getting Things Wrong, one of my favorites that everyone should listen to, is one dude talking with only very occasional interviews and guest voices. It's probably the most reminiscent of Dan Carlin on this list in terms of delivery and breadth of subjects. I believe he's referenced boxing at some points, but no boxing analogies.

thanks!

oh i also should have clarified i didn't just need history specific podcasts. i was just using dan carlin as an example, but any genre of podcast with a similar single host is welcome. i'm needing them both to find interesting stuff to listen to but for my own research purposes

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

so i have a request that's kind of broad

i'm looking for a podcast that's made up of people (3 or more) that's very laid back, and fun. like friends just shooting the poo poo type thing. it can be about comedy, t.v., film, anime, video games, current events, whatever.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Snowy posted:

Do GoOn

is this an actual podcast?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Minotaurus Rex posted:

Really enjoying this Decoding the Gurus podcast where they scrutinise the different secular gurus that abound on the internet these days. Really funny at times and insightful in terms of deconstructing their manipulative tricks and ulterior motives. Strong recommend https://decoding-the-gurus.captivate.fm/

yeah this is a pro-subscribe. been listening to these guys for a few years. they took sam harris to task like a year or two ago. and i see that they had him on again recently! :monocle:

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Cugel the Clever posted:

Decoding the Gurus was my most listened podcast of 2023 and I'd highly recommend it to anyone, but the Harris interview really let him run roughshod over everything. To some extent, it resulted in Harris telling on himself through sheer blowhardiness, but I'd have preferred more pushback.

are you talking about the recent one or the one from a year ago? i haven't listened to the former yet but for the latter i agree. they were being a little too diplomatic sadly, but still, glad they offered some pushback and overall it worked out cause as you said, sam did a good job making himself look bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Cockblocktopus posted:

It's the latest iteration of the Michael Hobbes podcast arc. He and a friend start a podcast, it gains a ton of traction with the "wow Michael Hobbes has a new podcast!" crowd, the Patreon starts making an absurd amount of money, the pressure of the podcast starts burning the hosts out, they refuse to spend any of the Patreon money to hire a professional staff to do any of the menial work like editing, then the hosts end up burnt out and the podcast goes on hiatus. Michael moves on to the next podcast and repeats the cycle; the co-host keeps the old podcast brand and tries to keep the magic alive because they need the Patreon money to keep coming.

MP is near the end of the cycle, If Books Could Kill is a few steps behind.

this sounds about right from my experience with michael hobbes' podcasts as well. while i can understand probably losing interest in a subject after covering it for a while, it's a bit more frustrating when you have someone doing so multiple times.