Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Zelmel posted:

I like Second Shift, which ended recently (I still have 3 episodes to go). It's fantasy, and starts a little rough as it was originally a bunch of college students doing it, but the production gets really good by the end and it has a well developed setting and characters.

On that note, suggestions for more sci-fi/fantasy podcast serial dramas would be very appreciated.

Giving this reply a bump to say thanks. I listened to the first two episodes (the pilot or what have you) and it's obviously rough, but better acting comes through in parts, so I'll keep with it.

Anyway, this isn't quite a podcast, but if you're looking for more audio drama, especially in the sci-fi category, give a listen to I Love Bees. It was the audio drama that accompanied the ARG back when Halo 2 came out, but the drama itself doesn't really require knowledge of either game to get. The only exception is at the tail end, when there's a fairly obvious plot dump that serves mostly to link the drama to the ARG. It's not on iTunes, but the MP3s can be downloaded here.

The only recommendation I'll throw out right now is Pseudopod, the horror short story podcast. The stories are usually pretty good, with good narration. The only problem is the host - he's got a good voice for the show, but his attempts to be Rod Sterling at the end come off as unbearably cheesy. Just press stop as soon as the story ends.

I'll renew the request for any other serial stories - I appreciate the ones linked earlier, but I'd love some good dramas or similar (admittedly, I haven't listened to the others, but they're listed as comedies.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Glitterbomber posted:

So what comic book/comic book 'culture' podcasts don't suck nards? Right now all I have is Major Spoilers which is a nice kinda 'technical' look I suppose but I'm looking for a more, I don't even know really I guess 'light hearted'? Like, are there any 'just kinda talk and joke about comics' podcasts that don't have every five minutes broken into how much they want to creepy-gently caress Catwoman or other terrible nerdisms?

The only comic book podcast on my subscription list is Non-Canonical, and I think it's pretty solid. They have a pretty professional format. They do news, what they're reading, and a feature section every week. The feature ranges from interviews to just longer bullshitting about whatever is in the news. The "what we're reading" section is nice because it hits a bit of everything; indy and big two, current and older stuff. Their tastes don't overlap too much (although they like Slott's run on Spider-Man a bit too much :goonsay: ), so it's fun to listen to them and hear about comics you may not have heard of otherwise.

Off the top of my head, I don't think I've been embarrassed to listen to it, aside from the usual "oh god I'm listening to other people talk about comic books."

Also, thanks for the link to the WEDway radio podcast. I am bizarrely :swoon: about disney, and the only other Disney podcast I've tried (the Inside the Magic podcast) was a bit too fanboy-ish for my tastes.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

I don't remember anyone mentioning The Truth. It's high quality radio drama. Not serial format, a new episode every couple weeks. I'd wager most people have already heard of it thanks to This American Life featuring an episode (which is how I found it), but if you aren't listening to TAL, here's the heads up.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

BigRed0427 posted:

I always wonder if people have tried making Radio Dramas or serials in a podcast format. Are there any that anyone can recommend.

The Truth produces bi-weekly short stories, and is excellent.

Second Shift is a 2 season serial. I got about halfway through season 2 before the thing got so far up its own rear end I couldn't take it anymore. Give it a try, as your mileage may vary, but it starts as charmingly ametuerish and, I think, ends up as obnoxiously so. I also made the mistake of listening to one of the "behind the scenes" episodes and it turns out the entire thing is set in a world the writer came up with in her dreeeeeeeams.

It's not a podcast, but if you want more serial stuff, look up my posts in this thread and listen to I Love Bees. It's solid. I'm always Looking for new stuff in this vein (I think all my posts in this thread are talking about them).

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

I think it's a fine idea, but if they're being recorded together, I would toss them together in the archive. That is, finish the week, then take the three small episodes and put them all back together for people that are listening through your archives.

Which reminds me of my favorite thing that very very few podcasts do (Fear the Boot, Non-Canonical, and MajorNelson's Xbox podcast are the only ones that readily come to mind) - chapter your podcast! Either stick longish music breaks between segments, long enough for me to tell when I'm jumping around when I'm hitting a break, or put the times when you transition segments in the description so I can look at it with my iPhone. Makes the entire thing much more enjoyable, since sometimes I won't want to slog through a segment, but there may be good/interesting stuff afterwards.