Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

down1nit posted:

My wife was a guest on the SGU 12hr livestream! 🍉

I'd point you at Behind the Bastards if you want to rage... you may already know it though. It's like Dollop with less "wacky bits" and a compelling host.

Edit deffo check out Sawbones for quackery. Pick a topic from the episode title and hold on to your butt.
Regarding raging, I Don't Speak German is a good podcast that covers neo-Nazis and the far right in general. They also sometimes cover people who aren't Nazis/far right but are still chuds in various ways, such as Sam Harris, Bret/Eric Weinstein and Heather Heying, and most recently James Lindsay.

Also, speaking of raging/laughing at questionable people, Decoding the Gurus is pretty solid.

Is the Skeptics' Guide still worth a listen? I listened to literally every episode for the first ten years and then just kinda got bored with it when Rebecca left. I do think Steven Novella is one of the smartest people alive though.

Zugzwang fucked around with this message at 02:28 on May 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
There was a Behind the Bastards episode along those lines from April 13, 2020. It was called “A conversation about Tiger King and rural America.”

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
You can also rate & review through the iOS app but use Overcast (or whatever else) for your regular listening.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
5-4 is a podcast about how much the Supreme Court sucks.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

mrfart posted:

If books could kill is a nice new podcast where the hosts look back at the ‘airport bestsellers’ that had a big impact on society, and how loving awful they really are.
Ok, I looked into this and saw that the very first thing they covered was Freakonomics (the quintessential garbage popular book IMO), and also that it’s another Michael Hobbes podcast. Thanks for the recommendation. :buddy:

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Incidentally, co-host Peter’s other podcast, 5-4, is very good and very funny. And also infuriating, since it’s about how much SCOTUS sucks.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Gripweed posted:

the one guy from 5-4 launched a new series called If Books Could Kill.
5-4 and If Books Could Kill are both great.

Speaking of the latter though, the co-host is (national treasure, IMO) Michael Hobbes, formerly of You’re Wrong About. YWA is still going and is still very good, but it’s not quite as good as when Michael was co-hosting it.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
BtB has a sibling podcast, Cool People Who Did Cool Stuff. The episodes I've listened to (so far) have been good.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
The Behind the Bastards folks have repeatedly said they have no control over what ads run on the show. Not sure what determines whether Robert himself does an ad read, which he's definitely done for Better Help and a few other craptastic companies. Those are definitely regrettable, since other show-inappropriate ads (like commemorative gold Reagan coins) are often very funny and will probably get zero business from the audience. Whereas Better Help etc are bad for insidious reasons.

Zugzwang fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Dec 15, 2023

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
This Podcast Will Kill You is a really good science-y podcast on diseases. I particularly liked the Dancing Plague (#40) and Myxomatosis (#91, but not if you like rabbits...) episodes.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Decoding the Gurus is indeed a great show. I did have to stop listening when I realized that I was inadvertently giving way too much attention (i.e., not zero) to clowns like the Weinsteins, who are the academia versions of incels. It looks like recent episodes are on other stuff though, so I might have to dip back in.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Cugel the Clever posted:

A recommendation along the lines of DtG is actually where I first heard of DtG: the I Don't Speak German podcast. They do a similar thing, but with focus on shining a light on fascists rather than gurus. I got the impression they were a tad miffed at DtG as the Harris interview came out not long after the crossover episode with IDSG and IDSG is very anti platforming fascists and the fash-adjacent (of which Harris is), but DtG has an open "right to respond" and a different assessment of who exceeds the bounds of acceptable discourse. IDSG has had low output for the last year, unfortunately, as the hosts have had life get in the way, but their back catalog is absolutely worth a listen.
Agreed. Fair warning though, IDSG covers some of the most despicable people around (actual Nazis) and often plays clips from Nazi podcasts, so you're gonna hear some unspeakable poo poo from time to time. Not the best show to listen to without headphones, lest someone overhear at an inconvenient moment. But cohost Daniel spends a ton of time researching those people so that we don't have to, and he has a lot to teach about them.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

COPE 27 posted:

It also drives me crazy how often they miss the more substantive critique. There was one episode recently where they were criticising the racist implications of some school achievement argument (which, fair enough) but skipped over the fact that these are specifically designed to destroy public sector unions.
Which podcast are you referring to here?

I quit If Books Could Kill because they too often poo poo on stuff just to poo poo on it, and too often went for lazy critiques. Like, there's a lot to criticize in The Four-Hour Workweek, and its title deserves about 1% of the attention it usually gets. Tim Ferriss only called it that because he A/B tested titles and that's what sold the most copies. Their incessant "he sure is working more than four hours hahahahahaha" got so tired, same as their "he sure seems to give a gently caress after all hahahahaha" in the recent episode on Mark Manson's book.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Yeah if Books Could Kill feels well intentioned but they’ve run out of interesting material & need an editor. Like their ep on Rich Dad Poor Dad was fascinating as they discussed how the rich dad probably didn’t exist, but the Identity Trap was nearly two hours about why it’s bad this author I’ve never heard of is using flawed research.

It’s similar to another podcast about bad books from a few years back where initially they had low hanging fruit that was easy to understand and riff on, but ran into the problem of committing weeks to reading a book that isn’t bad in an interesting way but the time commitment means they gotta make an ep anyway.
I think this is spot-on. More episodes like the Rich Dad, Poor Dad one are what are needed. Those are just plain bad books, written by hacks, that no one should read. But a lot of people do, and so it's good for their flaws to be exposed.

Then when they got into books like Atomic Habits and The Subtle Art of Not Giving a gently caress, they (rightly) critiqued some stuff that needed to be critiqued, but they also spent a bunch of time dunking on general advice that a person may or may not find useful. Like, if you find reframing "I have to do this" as "I get to do this" helpful - and a lot of people do - then great! If you don't, that's cool too. Same as the bit about Disappointment Panda in Manson's book; I actually do think it's good to keep in mind that you will always have problems/things will never quite be perfect (this notion of dukkha/wheel out of kilter is literally at the core of Buddhism), but ideally they can be better problems than you might otherwise have. Other folks might not find this helpful. Regardless, this is hardly in the same league as, like, William F Buckley's book that they covered.

And yeah, the time commitment thing is exactly it. I think a lot of podcasts suffer from this, and I have serious concerns about the quality of podcast info writ large, especially because I so frequently find myself going :negative: when podcasters veer into my areas of competence. (Hobbes once said some grotesquely incorrect things about calories on Maintenance Phase that pretty much torpedoed my faith in his rigor.) Whereas you have other shows like Hardcore History that infrequently drop mega-episodes only when they're fully baked.

Zugzwang fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jan 12, 2024

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Cockblocktopus posted:

It's the latest iteration of the Michael Hobbes podcast arc.
lol yeah, pretty much. The Patreon for IBCK was phoned in from the beginning. They even kept saying "uhh yeah we aren't sure what to do with this space." You'd think for all the cash they were bringing in, they could do some bonus books. Not hard to read a ton, even big books, when it's all you're getting paid to do.

You're Wrong About is still good. Maybe because Sarah is super-smart, has guests come on who do the heavy lifting of knowing about the topic, and because she has a producer. And the Patreon has ...*checks*... almost 25k members. What a sweet gig.

Zugzwang fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jan 13, 2024

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
:sad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Minotaurus Rex posted:

Anyone got any links to high quality criticism of Sam Harris other than on Decoding the Gurus? Whether that’s podcast, articles or YouTube I’m easy.

Also, tangentially I see Jung has fallen out of favour with the left. For bonus points anyone know of any spicy critiques of him?

Apologies if this is the wrong thread for this
Lots of links to stuff in the show notes for episode 22 of IDSG: https://idontspeakgerman.libsyn.com/episode-22-sam-harris-is-not-a-nazi

The late Michael Brooks wrote a book on the IDW, Against the Web. It isn't just about Harris but certainly includes him.

Also, Eiynah Mohammed dedicated a bunch of episodes of her podcast (Polite Conversations) to criticizing him re: Islam in particular. IIRC she has a fairly sarcastic delivery a lot of the time, but her content is good.