Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
It's nearly October, does anybody have any good unsolved mystery/ghost story type podcast?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Portable Staplefrog posted:

Mysterious Universe is exactly what you want.

Thanks for this, I like it so far. I like that they're not really skeptics or believers, they just sort of put stuff out there. Might pony up for the plus version.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

Film Junk is pretty much my favorite and only regularly listened to film podcast. They are Canadians who do reviews of current films, and have a great mix of humor along with actual good film discussion. Not sure how known or popular they are among RGD poster, but thought I would throw them out there if you looking for some good film discussion.

I like really like Filmjunk too. They guys have been friends since childhood and it shows. It isn't really "serious film analysis" but they aren't fanboys looking for internet points either. I've never heard them say "my reading of the film", for example.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

Same question for non-shticky, non humorous movie podcasts - but for not current films? Could be B-movies, bad movies, forgotten gems, great movies, or film history in general - just not about films in theaters now. Think The Hollywood Gauntlet.

e: or perhaps Maltin on Movies or The Canon, but I'd prefer something that's not just straight-up reviews. The Canon only really did it for me when it did the Star Wars vs. Empire Strikes Back and E.T. vs. Close Encounters.

Give Battleship Pretension a try. It's two guys who pick a topic relating to cinema and talk about it. Sometimes the format strays where they have interviews and year-end lists and reports from festivals. Current movies do pop-up if they're relevant to the conversation but they aren't a review show. The guys are longtime friends but don't yuk it up all the time.

They recently started doing weekly "Movie Journal" episodes where they just talk about what they've seen since the last one, but that's mostly to keep the regular episodes from getting cluttered up with that stuff. There are over 400 episodes so maybe look around for a few topics that sound interesting.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

AllisonByProxy posted:

http://theblacktapespodcast.com/

Really cool paranormal investigation podcast done in a very similar style to Serial. The first 2 episodes are out with the third coming tomorrow.

I've only listened to the first episode but I really like this one so far.

Edit: Nope, not feeling the second episode at all. Never mind.

Human Tornada fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jun 4, 2015

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I've been really liking Mystery Show on Gimlet Media. The host, Starlee Kine, solves small mysteries people bring to her that can't be solved using the internet. In the latest one she tries to track down the original owner of a very distinctive belt buckle that her friend found in the street when he was a kid. Stuff like that.

The mysteries themselves aren't all that interesting but the show is well put together and the host is likable enough to carry it.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

HIJK posted:

I found a new true crime/mystery podcast! The Unresolved Podcast reminds me of Sword and Scale without the idiot editorializing about evil schizophrenics. It's still getting off the ground but the narrator is earnest and keeps his opinions to himself. The musical soundtrack is also very good.

I'm really liking this so far. It really is (three episodes in, at least) all the good parts of Sword and Scale and none of the bad. The soundtrack is A+.

Sort of on the opposite end of the spectrum, I'm also liking My Favorite Murderer. It's two women talking about true crime in a light and humorous way. IMO most men a have a sort of detached attitude towards this kind of stuff, because the victims are overwhelmingly women, so it's interesting to hear the perspective of two women. They have a great natural chemistry together and don't come off try-hardy at all. If you find Last Podcast on the Left insufferable give this one a try.

Human Tornada fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Mar 20, 2016

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Minister of Chance posted:

I like True Crime Garage . The two hosts are rather laid back and have a good chemistry going on.
They are not trying to be funny, but there is some black humour now and then.

Also try My Favorite Murderer. It's two women with great chemistry.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

TheFallenEvincar posted:

I really don't get his early Johnny Gosch episodes...like, these are mostly wacko conspiracy theories from a grieving mother, right? Not too different from the creepy ep about the mother whose daughter (clearly) commits suicide but instead she creates elaborate conspiracy theories...but unlike that one he's seemingly presenting all the Gosch stuff straight up?
Like he's just like...AND YOU'LL NEVER BELIEVE WHAT HAPPENED NEXT
Soooo is this stuff actually credible or did he just decide to skip fact check/scrutiny especially for those two episodes? It's confusing and weirding me out and obviously online research on the subject isn't really elucidating anything.

I figured it was mostly bullshit (Gosch's mom is clearly mentally.... something) but it was hung on framework of real events and at least someone believes it's real so I enjoyed it immensely either way.

Kinda like that show TV show Gigolos. It's mostly staged but my man Brace is a real dude out there so sweating how "real" it is seems dumb when you can just go with it.

Human Tornada fucked around with this message at 02:56 on May 3, 2016

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

TheFallenEvincar posted:

What with the newest episode being about the Bjork Stalker it straight up feels like this dude is just lazy as gently caress and wants topics that have long infamous internet videos/recordings he can sample for a majority of the episode. Like, I feel uneasy listening to this episode because knowing this crazy motherfucker I can't be too sure how much of the video he's sampling and I don't want to be listening to an episode and suddenly hear the Bjork Stalker blowing his brains out or something. I know he often relies on recordings of poo poo but there's a difference between studying a true crime case and maybe using court recordings or whatever and well...he's already like, sampled loving Budd Dwyer, the Dnepropetrovsk maniacs, Jonestown, Luka Magnotta, it feels like he's going down the laziest lamest loving checklist now.
I prefer episodes like Pleasant Grove, Derek Medina, the Carnation Murders, Morgan Ingram, etc.

Oh he for sure heavily pads the episodes with lots of boring audio. It's why I stopped listening. All the criticism aimed at the guy is spot on, I just think a few of the episodes happened to turn it pretty good.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

kaesarsosei posted:

I'm working my way through this thread but before I can get caught up, can anyone recommend any conspiracy theory podcasts? Nothing stupid or whacky, something fairly sensible if possible. I just watched 11.22.63 and have an interest in the Kennedy assassination right now.

Skeptoid isn't my cup of tea personally but it covers conspiracy theories occasionally. Stuff They Don't Want You To Know also might fit the bill, although I don't know of they have any episodes covering the JFK assassination.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Reisen posted:

Any recommendations for something along the lines of "comedian(s) teach you about a thing" where that thing isn't current events or pop culture? I already listen to The Dollop and Sawbones.

Dork Forest is sort of like this.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

fadam posted:

Any suggestions for podcasts similar to pre-crisis The Canon but very very different from We Hate Movies and How Did This Get Made? Something that focuses on the history and critical analysis of movies but also without hosts that are trying to be funny.

Battleship Pretension maybe?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Vincent posted:

Cons: It's hosted by Jackie Kashian.

Hey, I never said it was good.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Scionix posted:

is there a good podcast about conspiracy theories/cults/paranormal that isn't from true believers that are trying to sell me brain supplements

Stuff They Don't Want You To Know

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

credburn posted:

Is there a good podcast for learning another language, specifically Spanish? Uh, more specifically, Mexican Spanish? And even more specifically, something that actually teaches the language and grammar, and not just a weekly list of handy phrases to use? I can imagine learning "where is the bathroom?" and "I have red hair" can be super useful to some people, but I've never been able to learn through this method.

Actually, it's driving me nuts. I'm going through iTunes's list of podcasts for learning Spanish and so many teach by this method. I don't want to learn how to say "I am from the United States." I want to learn how to form the sentence on my own.

Not a podcast, but check out the Michel Thomas Method, it's exactly this.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Guy Mann posted:

I guess that makes sense, but it must make it that much more soul-crushing to see someone like the McElroys living comfortably as home owners in cheap cheap West Virginia on top of successfully working in traditional media like journalism and theater.

Not really? There are pros and cons of living in West Virginia versus NYC, just like any other place.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

What is the name of that podcast where a British guy gives plausible explanations for spooky stuff that guests have experienced?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

tithin posted:

What's a CHUD?

Also known as a Cannibalistic Humanoid Underground Dweller. It's from a movie.

Edit: I thought I was in a D&D thread. CHUD in this context means Trump supporter.

Human Tornada fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Aug 11, 2018

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Real Crime Profile

Edit: Starts at episode 37

Human Tornada fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Aug 26, 2018

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Brocktoon posted:

I wanted to check out Talking Simpson’s since I have heard good things, but I noticed the more recent episodes are 2+ hours long, which is a lot to keep up with for a weekly podcast. Do they actually have that much to say about a single episode of The Simpsons or is it a lot of tangents?

It's mostly pretty focused but on some of the less notable Simpsons episodes they can drift and it feels like they could have used an editor. Also they can sometimes get bogged down in over explaining jokes (e.g. "I love that Homer says he just has to put his shoes on but he's in his underwear playing with slot cars! He had to do way more than just put his shoes on! He's not even wearing pants or a shirt or...")

They do know their stuff though and have plenty of relavent and interesting thing to say about every episode.

Having said that, I generally enjoy the show and hope I'm not being too mean because one (or more?) of the hosts are on SA.

So some episodes are better than others, I'd recommend starting with some of the classic Simpsons episodes.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Criminal

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Seconding Stuff They Don't Want You To Know, although I would classify it as more of a Medium Dive.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Snap Judgements Presents: Spooked.

True scary stories told by the people who experienced them on a wide range of topics, from ghosts to kidnappings. It only airs around Halloween time so they can be selective about which stories make the cut, and the production values are really good.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Seinfeld's been rich, beloved, and carefree for so long that he looks around and wonders "what's the big deal with X, things seem pretty alright to me" about pretty much everything.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

It's in the premium feed. You could search for the chapo black wolf rss you aren't a patreon, although it hasn't made it there yet.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Okua posted:

Good pods about music/music history? I listen to (some) Song Exploder already. I'm interested in the context of bands, scenes, genres, etc.

And Introducing is exactly this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I've been listening to The Big Picture lately, it's a movie conversation show that's usually focused on a current release and then uses that to springboard into a longer conversation, e.g. The Glass Onion plus our favorite puzzle movies of all time. Not a comedy podcast but the vibe is very casual.