Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

My favorite podcast right now, since I have barely heard any of the show is Snap Judgement NPR's storytelling hour with a beat.

I was excited when this show first arrived on KOBP (my local NPR station,) but quickly tired of Washington's needlessly theatrical speaking style. I love plenty of the stories--even the hosts', when he's storytelling instead of hosting--I just wish we could listen to it without Glynn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

bazaar apparatus posted:

I just listened to the most recent episode at lunch today and consider me loving subscribed because it was one of the funniest goddamn things I've listened to in a long time. Surprisingly educational, too!

Agreed. Interesting and informative! Def going on my favorites list.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Myrmidongs posted:

Have you tried Wait Wait... Don't tell me? It's fairly US-centric but incredibly entertaining, and if you don't like a panel member, thats ok because they rotate around fairly often.

Hold on a mufuckin minute and think here. Wait wait don't tell me is yearning toward humor and some barely achieving it, while inching away from relevance. This is what we turn off our radios for. This is what we download podcasts to avoid.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

I thought love and radio was cancelled long ago and forever. Nope! Hard to describe, but it's good, check it

http://feeds.feedburner.com/loveplusradio

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Wasn't there a Radiolab thread around here somewhere, or do I need to start one?

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Mescal posted:

Wasn't there a Radiolab thread around here somewhere, or do I need to start one?

I started one: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3517441

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Any recommendations for a dude who really likes Roderick on the Line?

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

AstroWhale posted:

Any recommendations for an interview podcast?
I just know one german podcast, where some guy interviews journalists, hair dressers, world travellers etc. and I am looking for something like that in english.

Fresh Air and The Treatment are great. Terry Gross and Elvis Mitchell are two of the best interviewers around.

What's the German podcast called? I'd like to listen for the sake of language practice.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

AstroWhale posted:

Thanks for the answer.

The podcast is: http://www.wrint.de/category/holger-ruft-an/
You can dig through the archives. My favourites were the episodes about South India, the 2012 conspiracy and the more recent one about Congo.

Edit:
I looked through ITunes and "Die Sendung mit der Maus" has a podcast. :3: I don't think there is a better way to learn a language than watching Kid's Tv shows. Also you will learn something.

Danke.

rotinaj posted:

Are there any good science podcasts or iTunes U series' about chemistry and organic chemistry like when Walt gets going on chemistry in Breaking Bad?

I don't have an answer but you reminded me of something. If you're interested in the drugs aspect of the show, check out an itunes U class from UC Berkeley. It was a psych class, I don't remember the number, called Drugs and Behavior with Prof David Presti, if I remember right. There's a little bit of chemistry in there, but not much. When I was interested in the subject I thought that class was great.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

No no serious posted:

Does anyone know of any non-talking, non-musical podcasts? There was one I listened to years ago where someone would just record foreign city sounds while walking around (although for the life of me I can't find it now). Something along that line, real or made up, ambient soundscapes I guess you'd call it.

Or maybe I should say non-discussion instead of non-talking. Something like a podcast of nothing but air traffic controller chatter. Or long recordings of astronaut radio conversations. Or something I'm not thinking of. Just something to play while falling asleep.

You'd definitely have success if you were looking for records instead. I have lots of novelty records that fit these criteria and I never even set out to find them. I just picked them up here and there because they were weird and never cost more than a dollar. Do you have a turntable with an arm that auto-returns?

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

The vote threshold in this forum is now 5.

Y Kant Ozma Post posted:

Honestly the vote threshold for RGD didn't need to be that high anyway, I dropped it to 5. It's not going to reflect immediately and doesn't appear until after a thread has been voted on even if it exceeds the threshold now, if that makes any sense.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

I'm looking for recommendations on podcasts that feature unstructured, informal, smart discussion.

Roderick on the Line is my favorite podcast. My favorite parts of ROTL are the riffs on ancient Greece, or the geography of the Caucuses, or the personal lives of kings and presidents, or light philosophy. I'd like to listen to more stuff like that. But the podcasts that go for this kind of academic material in a straightforward way sound like principal Skinner presenting the topic of the day. Stuff to Blow your Mind, for example, is dull as poo poo. And Philosophy Talk for another is really good at squeezing the joy out of interesting topics, mostly out of a misguided attempt to be fair to all parties. Any ideas?

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Are there any good podcasts about urban design / city planning? I like the stuff 99% invisible has done on this topic.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

En Fuego posted:

How do you guys feel about trying to get money for a podcast via Kickstarter? I have a couple of friends who are coming back to podcasting, having done nearly 100 episodes, and they're asking for money.

On one hand, I get it ... It's a good way to gauge interest and if it's not there you don't have to do it. On the other hand, it seems like a weird way to get cash.

Thoughts?

Kickstarter is great for this kind of thing because it's a model for supporting things rather than buying them. For example, Roderick is my favorite podcast and one of my favorite things. I would probably give them $150 for a promise to keep podcasting and like a two-sentence personal postcard. But if they charged $10/year to listen, I would tell them to gently caress themselves.

Radiolab and the like I would feel different about because they have high production value/costs. (Bandwidth costs are irrelevant because it's your own fault if you can't figure out how to distribute very small audio files for cheap in 2013.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Speaking of history, can somebody recommend me a podcast about the period of roughly 1903-1935 that's not a history podcast? Kind of a pop-culture thing. The trends of the era are really interesting but are often overlooked because of all the actual Important poo poo that was happening.