Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
Another good podcast for creepy stuff is The Paranormal Podcast. It can be a bit goofy and should definitely pick and choose which ones to listen to.

Admittedly, the host is a bit of a true believer on a lot of things, but he has just enough distance to keep things interesting. I personally suggest avoiding anything to do with ghosts or UFO's. but that's more because of the nutjobs who tend to put themselves up to be interviewed about the subjects than anything else.

The Bob Curran episodes are particularly good because he's mostly just spouting folklore, which I eat up like it's candy.

Yes, most of it is bullshit but it's at least interesting bullshit. Highlights for me have included a woman who believes werewolves are real and really just extra-dimensional creatures that possess powers we don't understand (she was hilarious and it was great listening to the host squirm at what a nutjob she was), a few episodes about the possibility of ancient Americans pre-dating accepted archeological theories about when Native Americans came here, and a guy who pulled the rug out from under your average psychic by talking about how he spent years as one and how it was all just a matter of being observational and talkative.

Anyone know if there's a good source for straight up folklore? I have been reading every bit of it I can find over the last year or two while I work on a book. I've even read some academic books on the subject, so I'm fairly obsessed and not afraid of dry material.

Geekboy fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Oct 8, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
I Should Be Writing is about the only other writing show I can stand, but it's almost a blog really. Most writing podcasts I've listened to have been awful.

There's also a series of recordings called Odyssey that are nice. They're lectures from a yearly conference/writing program.

I can track down links if you need them, but all I have access to post from at the moment is my iPod, so it's a bit of a pain.