Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

SoR Blaze posted:

I was hoping that someone could recommend me a biblical podcast, something that really studies the bible as a piece of literature and explains biblical idioms and cultural references that a 21st century person might not understand. This is something that has been difficult for me to look for on my own, as most podcasts on the bible seem to focus more on "how to apply Christ in our lives," rather than "how to understand the Bible and what it's writers were trying to say."

Basically I'm looking for a bible study podcast for non-christians I guess.

The Online Yale University course is pretty amazing, but it only covers the Hebrew Bible (more or less the Old Testament): http://oyc.yale.edu/religious-studies/rlst-145
It analyses the different source authors, times written and edited, text styles, meaning (political, social and theological) and reasoning behind the different books of the OT. It also compares them to religious texts of other groups and religions in the region and how and why they are different/similar.

They also have one for the New Testament, but I haven't listened to it yet: http://oyc.yale.edu/religious-studies/rlst-152

Decius fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Feb 21, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Benny the Snake posted:

So now that Spill.com is going to be shut down, can anybody recommend me a good movie review podcast site?

I like Kermode & Mayo's Film Review by BBC 5 quite a bit. It focuses (of course, it's after all a radio show first and podcast second) mostly on mainstream cinema.