Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Agave syrup has a pretty detrimental effect on agave production in Mexico. Substitute 2:1 sugar syrup and feel better about yourself. My personal marg build is:

1.5oz blanco tequila (2oz if ya nasty)
0.5 orange liqueur (Pierre Ferrand Dry Curacao is great)
0.75 lime
0.25 2:1 syrup
pinch salt

The orange liqueurs that give the best flavor need a little supplemental sugar to be well-balanced, and a margarita without orange liqueur is just a tequila daiquiri if you ask me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

prayer group posted:

Agave syrup has a pretty detrimental effect on agave production in Mexico.

What are you saying?

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Waltzing Along posted:

What are you saying?

I'm saying folks use agave syrup to avoid bring seen as putting sugar in cocktails. This is because of people wanting to feel virtuous, but also wanting sweet drink. It has a. Lot more to do with how food culture valorizes different foods, and a lot less to do with makes a solid balanced drink.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Agave for tequila is subject to regulations regarding how frequently it can be harvested, agave for syrup isn’t. The regulations on tequila agave certainly aren’t enough, but they’re something. Casting them aside entirely to make a product that contributes less to a drink than demerara syrup jeopardizes the state of agave in Mexico pretty significantly.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I got a bottle to try and don't plan to buy it again, I don't think it adds much. The idea is to do agave on your agave, but it's really not noticeable in a drink. Use a punchier blanco if you want to up the agave. They unfortunately don't sell still strength ones here but if you can get one I am sure that would do wonders for it.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Waltzing Along posted:

See how fast you can get blackout drunk.
I don't have an especially high tolerance so I'm more likely to just be killed doing that.

I'm thinking more like recipes for homemade extracts or bitters.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Strange Matter posted:

I'm thinking more like recipes for homemade extracts or bitters.

I make liqueurs with a grain alcohol base all the time at my job. If you have a singular ingredient you want to get the most out of, such as strawberries, you might bag up 8oz grain alcohol with a whole bunch of sliced strawberries, then separately combine 16oz 2:1 syrup with sliced strawberries. Sous vide both of those for two hours at 140F, chill, then strain and combine. Add a bit of water and maybe some citric acid or lemon juice and you have strawberry liqueur!

Carillon
May 9, 2014

prayer group posted:

I make liqueurs with a grain alcohol base all the time at my job. If you have a singular ingredient you want to get the most out of, such as strawberries, you might bag up 8oz grain alcohol with a whole bunch of sliced strawberries, then separately combine 16oz 2:1 syrup with sliced strawberries. Sous vide both of those for two hours at 140F, chill, then strain and combine. Add a bit of water and maybe some citric acid or lemon juice and you have strawberry liqueur!

Could you something like that with vegetables? We've a lot of snap peas from our garden and I've been thinking it could be fun to get creative with them.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

If you don't have a sous vide I assume you can get the same result just letting it sit in a jar for a while?

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Carillon posted:

Could you something like that with vegetables? We've a lot of snap peas from our garden and I've been thinking it could be fun to get creative with them.

Depends on the vegetable! Snap peas would do great with that method, I think. Give it a try!

Grand Fromage posted:

If you don't have a sous vide I assume you can get the same result just letting it sit in a jar for a while?

Yes, you can do most infusions cold-style and just shake them every day or so.

To be clear, I don't think everything is best infused sous vide. Flowers and certain more delicate vegetables benefit from cold infusing -- nasturtiums, violets, cucumbers, stuff like that.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Other Q would be if I'm doing it in a jar, is there a reason to keep the alcohol and the syrup separate and combine? Is that just a sous vide efficiency thing?

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Grand Fromage posted:

Other Q would be if I'm doing it in a jar, is there a reason to keep the alcohol and the syrup separate and combine? Is that just a sous vide efficiency thing?

It's mostly an efficiency thing, yeah. There's probably some fiddly osmosis poo poo going on with infusion into sugar syrup versus grain alcohol versus a combination of both that would impact overall flavor, but I don't have the chemistry degree or the pay necessary to figure that out.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

prayer group posted:

It's mostly an efficiency thing, yeah. There's probably some fiddly osmosis poo poo going on with infusion into sugar syrup versus grain alcohol versus a combination of both that would impact overall flavor, but I don't have the chemistry degree or the pay necessary to figure that out.

There is, and it's not worth going too deep into different extraction rates; if you have the time, space, and gear then your method makes high quality results quickly.

If you haven't, then put it in a jar somewhere warm and wait.

Infusions are about time, temperature, and pressure. If you want the easy, hands-off version, use 100 proof ethanol (either buy it or proof down neutral grain spirit). This way, it's equal parts alcohol and water, and you get the best of what each one extracts from the ingredient (water is a polar solvent, ethanol non polar, so you get the best haul of dissolvable compounds).

You wanna get real rude, the Noma fermentation book is a good place to lose a lot of time and bench space to.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
I’ve owned that book for a few years and barely cracked it. I think it’s time to get rude.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

What's your ratio for thing to be infused to liquid? Curious if you eyeball it or have a general ration you try to hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
For most fruits and vegetables it’s a baseline of about 250g per 750ml at the minimum. Flowers and spices are different of course, and figuring those out takes practice.