Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Anyone have any good cocktail recipes for tequila besides the big three? (Margarita, sunrise, la paloma)

I live near a small central American retailer who carries the jarritos soda brand. Any of those any good with tequila?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!

Mister Macys posted:

Anyone have any good cocktail recipes for tequila besides the big three?

Sueno

4oz tequila
1oz simple syrup
1 1/2oz lime juice
Soda
~6 cucumber slices
~2 rosemary sprig

Muddle the cucumber and rosemary with the simple syrup
Add tequila/lime juice
Shake and double strain over ice into a double rocks (or whatever glass you have with some capacity)
Top with soda and garnish with cucumber slice or whatever you like

You could easily halve this recipe and just have it in a chilled glass without ice or soda, if you're not in the mood for a huge drink.

bolo yeung
Apr 23, 2010

Mister Macys posted:

Anyone have any good cocktail recipes for tequila besides the big three? (Margarita, sunrise, la paloma)

I live near a small central American retailer who carries the jarritos soda brand. Any of those any good with tequila?

There are some variations on the paloma.

Paloma (normal one): tequila, lime and grapefruit soda (preferably Squirt) on the rocks in a salt-rimmed collins glass.

Paloma Blanca: substitute the grapefruit soda for sparkling water.

Charro Negro: substitute the grapefruit soda for Coca Cola.

Vampiro: basically the regular paloma but with a splash/shot of sangrita (a non-alcoholic chile-based drink used sometimes as a chaser for tequila) and maybe some drops of hot sauce too.

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President

Devoz posted:

Can anyone recommend some drinks that would go well with Thanksgiving dinner?

I really like a mulled wine on Thanksgiving, especially if its really cold outside.

6 whole allspice berries
1 tablespoon whole black peppercorns
2 whole star anise
3 cinnamon sticks
1 piece fresh ginger, sliced
3 large strips orange zest
3 large strips lemon zest
2 bottles red wine
3/4 cup honey

Put everything in to a large percolator and brew for ~2 hours or according to instructions on your machine. Its a little spicy and really comforting plus it will serve your whole party and still have some left over for leftovers. This is totally a cocktail, right?

Uhhlive fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Oct 12, 2011

KWC
Jul 5, 2007
Hello
Currently enjoying an amzing cocktail out. "The Need for Tweed" at Teardrop Lounge in Portland, OR. One of their House Cocktails on An impressive menu of House, Classic, and Friends (from other contemporary bars) cocktails.

The Need for Tweed
Ardbeg 10yr 1.5 oz?
Cynar .75 oz?
Malted pumpkin (roasted pumpkin with pumpkin pie spices malt syrup) one squirt maybe .5 oz?
Chipotle-chocolate bitters 2 drips
Pacifique Absinthe 10+ drops
A couple strips lemon zest

Stirred with cracked ice and strained into a stemmed glass - no ice. Opaque, 'scotch colored'. Aggressive taste with a smoky spicy finish. Cinnamon/smoky chipotle are dominant. Really well ballanced. Not too boozy 'hot'.
I'm smitten. I can't believe the Cynar scotch combination. Both flavors are present but not competing.
If you find yourself in PDX this is a great bar with great bartenders. If I succeed in recreating this at home I'll post more accurate measurements.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Holy loving poo poo I miss Portland so much :(

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

That is an insane looking cocktail. It's also almost hilariously trendy. Cool to see a cocktail mixed with an aggressive Islay malt though.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
If you're in Portland right now it's cocktail week so go get some.

Me, I'm a NYC cocktail bartender at a second-tier cocktail bar, but I've worked in places with hand-cut ice, homemade gastriques for sour ingredients, and all the infusions a boy could want. I'm happy to contribute, but something worth keeping in mind is that there exist many variations of any given "classic", and none of them are right, wrong, or more hardcore than any other, though you can generally go to the Savoy if you want to have a pretty authoritative resource. A few thoughts for the last few pages:

- My favorite Manhattan spec is the Milk&Honey one, which is 2 1/4oz Rye (Rittenhouse where possible, see below), 3/4 Carpano Antica sweet vermouth, 2 dashes Ango. Stir, serve up with a lemon twist. When deploying the twist, gently twist on top, and then give the bottom of the glass a squirt or two. That's a real protip, as your guest's fingers will smell like lemon oil well after the drink is over.

- Rittenhouse Bonded (or RittyBo, if you're an idiot like me) goes out of stock periodically around August, and may not come back until November. I think Kenning's right; the rye spends at least years in bond, which is the source of the problem. Bonded warehouses are government-approved, and to expand their aging warehoues (to say nothing of the still operation), they have to get Government approval and supervision of their warehouse. I used to work at a place a little more A-list than I do now, and they had the resources to buy a pallet of Ritty at a time and stash it around the city to weather the drought, which certainly adds to the supply problem.

That's all for now, happy to answer various history, material, or technique questions that may arise.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

So. I'm a simple man. I'll blend plenty of cocktails, but often my home drinking urges are simply quelled by a Dark & Stormy. I have a problem though. I want more ginger! I've had the Gosling's house brand, the Target Archer Farms brand, D&G Jamaican Ginger Beer, and Goya Ginger Beer. The D&G comes closest I want to the ridiculous ginger attack I want, but I know there's gotta be something better. I've seen Reed's Extra Ginger Beer in a store near me. They stock it near the Tums and such in the health care section, which seems like a very good sign to me. Is this the endpoint to my MORE GINGER game?

Anyone had the Fever-Tree brand? I don't have anywhere near me that stocks it, but I can get a case for 36 bucks delivered by Amazon Prime, which doesn't seem unreasonable at all for what's marketed as a premium product. Just recommend me your favourite ginger beers. I need to know.

EDIT: As a big Gin and Tonic guy, how's the Fever-Tree Tonic Water? That's a bit of a bigger step up from my 89 cent grocery store brand 2-liters.

deadwing fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Oct 14, 2011

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004
My little sister is awesome and bought me this account.

deadwing posted:

So. I'm a simple man. I'll blend plenty of cocktails, but often my home drinking urges are simply quelled by a Dark & Stormy. I have a problem though. I want more ginger! I've had the Gosling's house brand, the Target Archer Farms brand, D&G Jamaican Ginger Beer, and Goya Ginger Beer. The D&G comes closest I want to the ridiculous ginger attack I want, but I know there's gotta be something better. I've seen Reed's Extra Ginger Beer in a store near me. They stock it near the Tums and such in the health care section, which seems like a very good sign to me. Is this the endpoint to my MORE GINGER game?

Anyone had the Fever-Tree brand? I don't have anywhere near me that stocks it, but I can get a case for 36 bucks delivered by Amazon Prime, which doesn't seem unreasonable at all for what's marketed as a premium product. Just recommend me your favourite ginger beers. I need to know.

EDIT: As a big Gin and Tonic guy, how's the Fever-Tree Tonic Water? That's a bit of a bigger step up from my 89 cent grocery store brand 2-liters.

Where the hell do you live that you can get that much ginger beer so easily? I could hardly find the stuff when I lived in Orlando, and it's chock full of Jamaicans even.

I also have a major thing for Dark and Stormies and wound up just making my own ginger beer, it's dead easy and that fresh ginger bite and aroma is just about impossible to get from a commercial soda.

I have a juicer so I pretty much followed Morgenthaler's recipe and wound up finding it a little lacking, I too want to essentially be punched in the tongue by ginger when I take a sip. All it took was to increase the amount of ginger juice by 2-2.5 times, use really good lemons, and if you want to get really picky about things let the beer ferment inside the fridge over a few days(it helps prevent funky flavors caused by high-temp fermentations).

I like making 12 at a time so I can have them for breakfast as well as cocktails later that day.

e: by "them" I meant ginger beers, not Dark & Stormies. Would that I could.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
Make some ginger syrup.

Cut up some ginger and put it in a pot with equal parts water and sugar.
Boil until the sugar is dissolved.

Then put that into whatever drink you want to 'gingerfy'

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Ugh. I'm using my second bottle of the Goya ginger beer right now, and this is just all about the burn, with no delicious ginger flavor. So sad that it's halfway there. I'd love this burn if it was accompanied with delicious ginger flavor.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

The easy way out is make your own ginger syrup, starting at 1:1:1/2 water/shredded or juiced ginger/sugar, then add lemon, lime, and simple. Throw a stick of white rum in and a few dashes ango with a dark rum float, and voila. It's complex in terms of ingredients, but very customizable to your palate. Either that, or brew your own.

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004
My little sister is awesome and bought me this account.

deadwing posted:

Ugh. I'm using my second bottle of the Goya ginger beer right now, and this is just all about the burn, with no delicious ginger flavor. So sad that it's halfway there. I'd love this burn if it was accompanied with delicious ginger flavor.

The Goya stuff has capsaicin added to it to give extra burn, they're cheating.

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Bundaberg Ginger Beer is pretty good, and you can find it if you have a World Market near you.

edit: Also, Try B&B in place of brandy/cognac for an Old Fashioned. So good. Another lovely old fashioned twist is rye whiskey and ginger beer. So much spice!

icehewk fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Oct 14, 2011

Normal
Oct 31, 2004
I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.
Do liqueurs ever go bad? I have bottles of creme de X that have been sitting around for years.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Above like 22% ABV it won't go bad, per se, but the flavor can go kaput. If it hasn't been open there should be any problem though.

CakesAkimbo
Jul 31, 2005
You what?
I'm not much of a drinker (at all), but last night the cocktail wizard at the fancypants restaurant I went to made me a drink - he apparently hadn't tested it on anyone yet. It's pretty girly, and it'll probably be looked down upon by all you liquor experts, but gently caress me sideways if it didn't taste like sex in a glass.

2 measures coconut rum
1 measure Baileys
2 measures vanilla vodka
Nutella gelato (I had no idea this existed!?)
vanilla ice cream
chocolate syrup
pureed strawberries

Pretty sure there was some goddman cocaine in this drink. Oh my god.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Uh, that's not cocaine you were tasting. That's just sugar.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Sugar: when refined, it is a fine, white, crystalline powder addictive to millions. :ironicat:

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
Just made this and wanted to share/talk about it:

Gorgeous Gus

2 oz. Irish whiskey
3/4 oz. green Chartreuse
1/2 oz. orgeat
1 oz. pineapple juice
1 dash Peychaud’s bitters

Garnish: Peychaud’s bitters; Irish whiskey cherries; half-wheel of orange

I didn't have Irish whiskey cherries, but I brandy my own and threw one in, I also skipped the orange wheel. The recipe calls to serve on ice in a highball glass, but I served it up in a chilled coupe just because that's my preference. I imagine it would be great the suggested way as well.

I was dubious at first because this is a lot of green chartreuse, imo. It doesn't hit hard at all though. It gives the drink a nice herbal background. Orgeat is just awesome and I am amazed by it every time I have something with it in there. The Peychaud's just does it's job and brings everything together.

Really tasty and well balanced. I recommend.

Normal posted:

Do liqueurs ever go bad? I have bottles of creme de X that have been sitting around for years.

Yeah, they go bad. Depends on if it's been opened or not, but 'years' is really pushing it. I would open, smell, and sip. Don't expect much.

Klauser fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Oct 17, 2011

Dirnok
Feb 10, 2005

So, I wanted to ask before posting and being laughed out of the thread.

I work in a typical college bar. My access to good ingredients is very limited. My customers are not the type that appreciate the finer cocktails like this thread offers. But I'm often asked to "Make something good, for a girl!" and I do what I can with what I have. As an example:

1/2 oz. Red Maui
1/4 oz. Peach Schnapps
1/4 oz. Southern Comfort
1/4 oz. Amaretto

Fill with cranberry juice, splash of grenadine.

Are these types of drinks something that you guys feel belong in this thread?

CakesAkimbo
Jul 31, 2005
You what?

Kenning posted:

Uh, that's not cocaine you were tasting. That's just sugar.

Man, he could have put wallpaper paste into that cocktail and I'd have guzzled the whole drat thing. Point taken, though.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Dirnok posted:

So, I wanted to ask before posting and being laughed out of the thread.

I work in a typical college bar. My access to good ingredients is very limited. My customers are not the type that appreciate the finer cocktails like this thread offers. But I'm often asked to "Make something good, for a girl!" and I do what I can with what I have. As an example:

1/2 oz. Red Maui
1/4 oz. Peach Schnapps
1/4 oz. Southern Comfort
1/4 oz. Amaretto

Fill with cranberry juice, splash of grenadine.

Are these types of drinks something that you guys feel belong in this thread?

I mean it's not the sort of thing I would drink myself, but feel free to post it since tastes vary. Fielding requests for "A drink for a girl where you can't taste the alcohol. Something sweet!" is the bane of my existence when wielding the shaker for parties. I typically resort to long drinks like G&Ts, Cuba Libres, and Dark and Stormies, since they're pretty palatable without being over-the-top sugar bombs.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

I prefer mixing strange bedfellows to cancel one another out, but that's a different story. Yellow Chartreuse, scotch, and Dutch gin being an excellent example. Properly stirred, you get a big, mellow tasting thing and next thing you know, you've had three and your legs don't work so good.

But that's a very different kind of thing than you're talking, Dirnok. That's where you bust out the cranberry juice and say "gently caress it". That's olive juice in cold vodka. That is the taste of getting lovely just because you're in college and don't know any better or care to find out. That's when you pre-batch your Redheaded Sluts and sling them for a dollar. Those were dark times, my friend. There is light. There is hope.

Ernest Hemingway
Dec 4, 2009
A good drink for all (non-adjusted palates, cocktail aficionados, 'girls', etc.) is the La Floridita Daiquiri:

2 oz. white rum
1 oz. fresh squeezed lime juice
1/2 oz. simple syrup
1/4 oz. maraschino

Shaken over ice, strained into a chilled cocktail glass.

Finally got my hands on some maraschino liqueur last week (LCBO stocks Luxardo now), and served these to the guests at my birthday party.

A classic daiquiri served up is a superb drink. The sweetness is there for those who need it, and in the Floridita the maraschino keeps things interesting - it will keep the aficionados happy, and might make some non cocktail drinkers curious about enjoying some real flavour in their drink.

Make sure to chill the glass, fresh squeeze the limes, and be careful with the maraschino - it's strong stuff and too much will completely overpower the drink.

e:spelling

Ernest Hemingway fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Oct 17, 2011

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

That is a great drink and an excellent bridge for people who think maraschino is classy pucker sour cherry. In turn, I give you Audrey Sanders old Cuban:

2oz white rum (I like the flor de caña, if you can get the Havana club three year, by all means)
3/4 fresh lime juice, or half a medium lime, depending
1/2 sweetner, I usually reach for cane syrup when using rum, for obvious reasons, but you should dilute the stuff you find in bottles to a similar consistency and sweetness as simple syrup, because more viscous stuff sticks to the walls of the shakers
2 dashes ango or similar
2 leaves mint
Combine in tin, shake, strain into coupes. Top with sparkling wine to fill and a gently beaten mint leaf.

Modern classic, don't know if its been published. I like to use a funky white rum like banks for a little extra verve.

Ernest Hemingway
Dec 4, 2009

Vegetable Melange posted:

That is a great drink and an excellent bridge for people who think maraschino is classy pucker sour cherry. In turn, I give you Audrey Sanders old Cuban:

2oz white rum (I like the flor de caña, if you can get the Havana club three year, by all means)
3/4 fresh lime juice, or half a medium lime, depending
1/2 sweetner, I usually reach for cane syrup when using rum, for obvious reasons, but you should dilute the stuff you find in bottles to a similar consistency and sweetness as simple syrup, because more viscous stuff sticks to the walls of the shakers
2 dashes ango or similar
2 leaves mint
Combine in tin, shake, strain into coupes. Top with sparkling wine to fill and a gently beaten mint leaf.

Modern classic, don't know if its been published. I like to use a funky white rum like banks for a little extra verve.

The next time someone tries to bring bubbly into my place I'm definitely making this. Can I get away with plain ol' simple syrup or do you strongly recommend the cane syrup?

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

My bar book calls for simple, but I've always found cane syrup to be more complimentary with cane based liquor and lime. And what do you mean, "tries"?

Ernest Hemingway
Dec 4, 2009

Vegetable Melange posted:

My bar book calls for simple, but I've always found cane syrup to be more complimentary with cane based liquor and lime. And what do you mean, "tries"?

I'm not a big fan of bubbly, so the joke I was trying to make was that someone bringing it to my place would somehow be an unwelcome gesture.

In reality I'm nowhere near that highbrow - I'm a pretty happy camper if someone brings something to drink, regardless of what it is. That said, rosé might be pushing it.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Just an Update I tried the cocktails on the previous page that I posted, wow knocked me on my rear end after 3 drinks... Quickest I think I have ever gotten drunk, didn't taste bad either.

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011
I recently had a couple cocktails that had a frothy texture. How do you get that?

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
Made another new(to me) drink last night:

Flowers for Murphy

1.5oz gin
.75oz simple syrup
.75oz lime juice
.75oz grapefruit juice
.25oz green chartreuse

Shake/strain into chilled flute, top with bubbly, mint leaf garnish.

I was pretty psyched for this, as on paper, this drink is right up my alley.

Something was keeping it from being over the top great like I thought it was going to be. Maybe too much citrus, I'm not sure.

There are other, similar drinks out there that do what this one is trying to do, but better. It wasn't horrible by any stretch, but I wouldn't make it again.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

that Vai sound posted:

I recently had a couple cocktails that had a frothy texture. How do you get that?

Probably egg whites.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

that Vai sound posted:

If you shake anything hard enough, it will froth. Drinks with fruit juice will froth well. Drinks with milk, cream, and egg whites will be super-frothy.

E: I haven't studied this technique, but I think highballs will also froth under the right conditions. I think if you open a carbonated mixer at room temperature, pour it over ice and the other ingredients, it will release a lot of carbonation at once, making a light froth. I also know that milk and soda makes good froth (like an egg cream or a root beer float).

DasNeonLicht fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Oct 21, 2011

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
Hey Veggie Melange, I really loved that cocktail you made for me that was champagne, cognac, and absinthe. I tried having the bartender at my hotel make me a good one, but bless her heart they all came out tasting like straight absinthe. I think the proportions were straight hosed.

Could I get your recipe from you? It was a truly awesome drink.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I've been requested to make a halloween-ish themed alcoholic punch for, well, halloween. At this point, kinda thinking a handle of vodka, a bottle or two of wine, fruit juice of some sort (berry? mango?), cut with sprite or 7up or something. Toss some food safe glowsticks in there before the party to get it glowing. Maybe food dye? Possibly toss some dry ice in there every now and then?

It'll be in a big glass bottle with a tap on the bottom, so it should look good in that context

Obviously this isn't a fine cocktail, but I'd still like to make something tasty and not too expensive to get ~10 ~25 year olds sloshed and be themed well enough. Suggestions for wines, fruit juices, or entirely different relatively affordable party punches?

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Tonic glows like a motherfucker if you can get a blacklight.

edit: tonic is made from semen.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

I like turtles posted:

I've been requested to make a halloween-ish themed alcoholic punch for, well, halloween. At this point, kinda thinking a handle of vodka, a bottle or two of wine, fruit juice of some sort (berry? mango?), cut with sprite or 7up or something. Toss some food safe glowsticks in there before the party to get it glowing. Maybe food dye? Possibly toss some dry ice in there every now and then?

It'll be in a big glass bottle with a tap on the bottom, so it should look good in that context

Obviously this isn't a fine cocktail, but I'd still like to make something tasty and not too expensive to get ~10 ~25 year olds sloshed and be themed well enough. Suggestions for wines, fruit juices, or entirely different relatively affordable party punches?

Amp energy drink and vodka with a dash of blue curacao on top floating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011

Jetfire posted:

Probably egg whites.
Probably not because the menu did not list it that ingredient for it, but it mentioned it for some other drinks. Must have been from shaking. I'll have to try shaking extra hard.