Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
cool, thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Does anyone know of any brands of “artificial” maraschino cherries that are certified gluten free? Luxardo cherries are gluten free, but I want those Chinese restaurant cherries. I’m willing to order online if need be.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

what part of the regular cheapo ones makes them not gluten-free? corn syrup vs real sugar? genuinely curious, no offense meant

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
That's an interesting question, and one I should probably know the answer to. I have a son who's allergic to wheat, but it doesn't seem strong enough that we need everything certified GF, it's enough for it to just not be in the ingredient list. (In other words, we can buy any brand of oats without worrying.) I'm not sure what the regulations are (to the pitiful extent that they actually exist) about how likely a food would have to be to have gluten in it to declare anything about a certification. However, I do see that these ones from Target specifically state they do not contain any of the top 9 allergens.

https://www.target.com/p/maraschino-cherries-with-stems-12oz-favorite-day-8482/-/A-81279743

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Snow Cone Capone posted:

what part of the regular cheapo ones makes them not gluten-free? corn syrup vs real sugar? genuinely curious, no offense meant

My partner has celiac disease, which is a pretty nasty condition. The risk of contamination is in the parts per million range, and being exposed can impact body’s ability to absorb nutrients for months.

That, combined with the health halo “gluten free” trend and the lack of government regulation on labeling for gluten means that it can be challenging to tell if something is actually celiac safe or not. Labels will use weasel words like “naturally gluten free” or “made with gluten free ingredients” while contaminating with gluten on their machinery etc.

So, in other words, it’s less that they are not gluten free because they’re cheap, it’s that the process of certifying for an actual gluten free label is expensive and involves potentially siloing your production lines etc.

I will check out those Target cherries though, thanks! We generally feel pretty confident when they do list their other major allergens flags.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I'm glad I'm not the only person who prefers the neon cherries to the fancy Luxardo ones.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Anonymous Robot posted:

My partner has celiac disease, which is a pretty nasty condition. The risk of contamination is in the parts per million range, and being exposed can impact body’s ability to absorb nutrients for months.

That, combined with the health halo “gluten free” trend and the lack of government regulation on labeling for gluten means that it can be challenging to tell if something is actually celiac safe or not. Labels will use weasel words like “naturally gluten free” or “made with gluten free ingredients” while contaminating with gluten on their machinery etc.

So, in other words, it’s less that they are not gluten free because they’re cheap, it’s that the process of certifying for an actual gluten free label is expensive and involves potentially siloing your production lines etc.

I will check out those Target cherries though, thanks! We generally feel pretty confident when they do list their other major allergens flags.

oh, I wasn't sure if it was a specific ingredient, so you're looking for something specifically with a certified GF label regardless of the ingredients, is that it?

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Waltzing Along posted:

Is it okay to prep drinks in advance?

I mean, for a tiki drink, prep the alcohol and syrup and let them sit a couple hours? It seems like it should be okay but google isn't much help. I know you don't want juice sitting out, but syrup is more stable, in sitting in a container with the booze seems safe.

Batching spirits, liqueurs and syrups together provides so many benefits that it bugs me sometimes how few places are doing it. Drinks get made faster, there's less bottles to pick up and put down and clean, and they honestly taste a little better.

At home it's good for the same reasons. Plus I wouldn't expect a big batch of spirits and syrups for say, a Mai Tai, to start tasting off until 30 days at worst.

prayer group fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Apr 9, 2024

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Snow Cone Capone posted:

oh, I wasn't sure if it was a specific ingredient, so you're looking for something specifically with a certified GF label regardless of the ingredients, is that it?

Yes, few if any brands of maraschino cherries are going to have gluten as part of one of the listed ingredients (corn does not contain gluten) but that doesn't guaranteed there's no cross contamination from whatever else they could be making in the same facility so he wants a certification that guarantees the cherries aren't contaminated. It's like when you see "this food is manufactured in a facility that also processes peanuts" to warn people with peanut allergies that even though there are no peanuts purposefully in the product they might still suffer an allergic reaction from cross contamination. Only in this case there isn't a warning and you have to figure it out yourself. Since nobody does a "this product was packaged in a facility that also handles gluten" label the best you can do is find one that says it was packaged in a facility that definitely does not handle gluten.

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Apr 9, 2024

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

prayer group posted:

Batching spirits, liqueurs and syrups together provides so many benefits that it bugs me sometimes how few places are doing it. Drinks get made faster, there's less bottles to pick up and put down and clean, and they honestly taste a little better.

At home it's good for the same reasons. Plus I wouldn't expect a big batch of spirits and syrups for say, a Mai Tai, to start tasting off until 30 days at worst.

re: batched cocktails

From years in operations, spirits are a durable good, and everything else in the drink isn't. If you have to throw away liquor because the lemon juice went off/the vermouth oxidized/something grew mold, that's hard cash, the labor it took to make, *and* the markup down the drain. Margins being as tight as they are in hospitality, anyone who's ever stared down a losing P&L is going to break poo poo when they see that kind of avoidable waste. And some are just reticent to change the operations model, because if it isn't broke then maybe it will be after you change something please don't it's all held together with unpaid overtime.

That said, if you build the idea into a concept, you can overdeliver quality at volume.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Oh for sure, batching drinks has to come with an understanding of what ingredients can hold for what amount of time, and how to keep only enough batched product on hand as will match how fast it'll move. Takes knowledge and experience, as well as someone sufficiently motivated (and compensated) to keep track of all that, and those are all things that incompetent management will generally lack.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Got some Don Fulano blanco today, good poo poo. Bit pricy for cocktail use but I'll probably try a fancy-rear end margarita with it.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

My bottle of homemade demerara syrup started to get some large crystals on the bottom of the bottle. Is this something that is salvageable? It has been sitting in my fridge getting used on and off for at least 6 months.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

that'll happen but AFAIK unless it's starting to get moldy or taste off you're fine

if it's anything like honey, running warm-hot water over the bottle should help with the crystals

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Assuming this was a 2:1 rich demarara syrup or similar, that just means some sugar is precipitating out of solution because the syrup is supersaturated (likely due to slow evaporation of water, so there's now less water per sugar than there was when you made it). Syrup will actually keep longer the sugarier it is (for the same reason undiluted honey doesn't spoil), so this is a "good thing," as the crystals are proving your syrup is as sugary as it can be.

If you want, you can add a little water to bring it back from supersaturation, but don't add too much or you're diluting your syrup for no reason (and making it more likely to spoil). I just leave the crystals there until I finish my bottle of syrup, then redissolve them with new water and use that, then make a new bottle of syrup.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I finally got around to picking up a bottle of Ancho Reyes, both the Ancho and Verde, and I can already tell we’re going to fly through these bottles - The three recipes I’ve enjoyed so far are the Spice Verde Margarita, Smoke & Fire Mezcal Margarita, and the Poblano Colada.

What other Ancho Reyes-based cocktails do you all enjoy?

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I like to throw a bit in a Manhattan. But I’ve gotten mixed reviews on that from others

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
Infante with mezcal and a splash is good.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Other than the Zombie and, I guess, the Jet Pilot, what are the strongest Tiki Drinks?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

anything with the words "scorpion" or "volcano" in it

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I think it's just up to you really, customizing the rums in a tiki is part of the fun and if you want to make an all-151 mai tai no one is stopping you.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Pretty sure those are communal drinks, though.

The Fogg Cutter is pretty strong, iirc.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Tapa Punch is great and has 4 1/2oz of alcohol

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Waltzing Along posted:

Pretty sure those are communal drinks, though.

sure, if you're a quitter at heart

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Grogs can get pretty boozy.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I always found Jungle Birds to be pretty boozy.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I do a drink called "Deadman" (from the Jarmusch film) with 2 oz of oftd, 1 oz of Hamilton Demerara 151, 1oz of Mr. Black, lime, guava, pineapple, cinnamon syrup, coffee bitters, and a float of wray and nephew. It's a 12oz drink but it, uh, hits pretty hard. But curiously it doesn't seem so powerful when you're drinking it. I've never really encountered anything stronger in the wild.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
151 swizzle?

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Love a swizzle but they’re only 2 oz of rum.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Waltzing Along posted:

Other than the Zombie and, I guess, the Jet Pilot, what are the strongest Tiki Drinks?

Ti Punch

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

The price of Chartreuse is going up by $20 next month.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
From it's normal price, or it's price gouged price?

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Looking forward to $113 bottles locally

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Corb3t posted:

There is always Chartreuse Vegetal I guess

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Price increases don't matter when the bottles don't exist anyway. :smugdog:

I shoulda bought a couple more when I had the chance. Especially after discovering the joy of the nuclear daiquiri.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Grand Fromage posted:

nuclear daiquiri.

Hmm?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

1 oz Wray & Nephew
.75 oz Green Chartreuse
.25 oz Velvet Falernum
.75 oz lime

Shake. Surprisingly pleasant and complex for rocket fuel.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Corb3t posted:

Ah poo poo, guess it’s adding to the “concerning alcoho-haul” pile. I’ve been pushing it off for a year now

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Guess I'll finally have to pick up a bottle. See what all the fuss is about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Grand Fromage posted:

1 oz Wray & Nephew
.75 oz Green Chartreuse
.25 oz Velvet Falernum
.75 oz lime

Shake. Surprisingly pleasant and complex for rocket fuel.

Yikes all heavy hitters. Think Rum Fire would be a good substitute?