Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

biopanda posted:

This thread just inspired me to restock my bar. Big thanks to 12 Bottle Bar for helping round out my collection.

(my host)

This is a nice selection. However, I'd ditch the Old Overholt for a decent rye, that stuff is terrible.

And once you do that, why not try a Fancy Free?

1 1/2 oz rye whiskey
2 dashes maraschino liqueur
1 dash orange bitters
1 dash Angostura® bitters
1 healthy dash lemon juice
some powdered sugar

Run the lemon around the edge of a martini glass, coat with sugar. Put other ingredients in a shaker, stir, and strain into glass. Enjoy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007
If you can't find the Rittenhouse BIB, I personally find Wild Turkey Rye and Jim Beam Rye to both be tastier alternatives to the O.O., and both should be pretty wildly available.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

Doh004 posted:

Espolon is in a cool little bottle but I've been too scared to try it out.

Also, I've mostly stuck to silver/blanco tequila because that's what I've always used. What are some good cocktails to make that use either a reposado or an anejo?

Personally, I'd leave the anejo out of cocktails and reserve it as a sipping tequila, otherwise you'll lose the complexity and nuance of character that makes it a desirable spirit in the first place.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007
So I recently came into many bunches of several different kinds of basil. I've been thinking I'd like to make a cocktail with some of them, but I'd rather it wasn't a gin base. Any other suggestions that will really highlight the flavor of the (home-grown, of course) basil? In a slightly different direction, would a vodka infusion be a good idea?