Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

betamax
Sep 30, 2008

leering
I was wondering if someone here had done experimenting with Aviations or other cocktails that require Creme de Violette/CReme Yvette?

I am in Ontario and travelling soon, so debating which bottle would be worth more to acquire and bring back home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

betamax
Sep 30, 2008

leering

Vegetable Melange posted:

Both of those should be easy to source in Canada, why not aim for the strange, local liquors that don't get international distribution? Like that white French bitter whose name escapes me but makes a killer white negroni?

Thing is, alcohol here is controlled by one government company, and to source something they usually don't carry you need to get a full crate, and end up paying 2 to 3 times the price per bottle. It is insane... even bringing something from Quebec is a pain.

That white french bitter you mentioned, is it from Quebec? I most definitively want to look into it now. It was in Quebec where I found a few producers of Creme de Cassis which were a lot better than the stuff we usually get here.

betamax
Sep 30, 2008

leering

Ernest Hemingway posted:

Fellow Ontario goon here and I feel your pain... sourcing obscure ingredients is a pain in the rear end and we're pretty much at the mercy of the LCBO. There are so many cocktails I've had to overlook because the ingredients just aren't available here.

Yeah. I guess it is kinda sad when I become giddy over seeing something finally make it here when it is more widely available south of the border, and usually 50-70% more expensive.

betamax
Sep 30, 2008

leering

Vegetable Melange posted:

Both of those should be easy to source in Canada, why not aim for the strange, local liquors that don't get international distribution? Like that white French bitter whose name escapes me but makes a killer white negroni?

So I think now that you were talking about lillet blanc, is that right? Apparently it used to be available here but no more. It is still widely available in Quebec though.

betamax
Sep 30, 2008

leering
In Canada each province has its own Liquor Control Board. Ontario's is pretty lovely as they are for the most part the only organization that can sell liquor, or decide what gets sold in the province.

Lillet Blanc usually goes off sale for long periods of time, and it is not available right now (see this).

Or see this website with people asking for some very basic stuff. Before May it was impossible to find Maraschino Liquor here (since then we got Luxardo, and seems to be going out of stock as well).

I found an agency that imports Carpano Antica, but since they too have to go through all the requirements from LCBO they have to sell it at 60 bucks a bottle with a minimum purchase of a case of 6 bottles. This whole situation is specially infuriating given that the LCBO is supposedly one of the (if not the) biggest alcohol purchasers in the world.

Anyway, sorry about the rant but this is something that touches a nerve of most people around here.

betamax
Sep 30, 2008

leering
Been playing around with Aviations (sans Violette), and saw online a few recipes made with a 2 : 0.5 : 0.5 ratio of gin/lemon juice/maraschino. I am using Luxardo Maraschino and finding it overpowering all the gins I have used. Has anyone found the same and what ratios do you use?

Kenning posted:

I have that tray and those cubes are loving boss. They're also good for frothing the living gently caress out of a Ramos Gin Fizz.

I too use those cubes for the Ramos Fizz (and anything that uses egg in it) and it works out a lot better... I was just wondering, is it worth it use them in stuff that only has some juice an whatnot or would using regular cubes yield the same result in that case?

betamax
Sep 30, 2008

leering

Kenning posted:

I've done Aviations at 2 : .75 : 1 with Luxardo and they are awesome, but I'm a maraschino fiend.

Actually, just tried the aviation with the same ratios and beefeater and enjoyed it a lot more (had used tanq 10 and sapphire before). Just curious, what is your gin of preference for this cocktail?

betamax
Sep 30, 2008

leering

Kenning posted:

Tanq 10 and Bombay Sapphire are pussy gins, frankly. They were designed with non-gin drinkers in mind, so they mute the juniper and use more delicate botanicals which can be nice on the rocks I guess but which get muscled out by strong flavors like maraschino (god I love maraschino). I'm not a Tanqueray fan in general, honestly, but Bombay Original has good, robust flavor and excellent price mark that makes it my workhorse gin. Beefeater is totally workable, a bit more citrusy than Bombay. I also like Boodles, again for a citrusy gin, and Broker's, which is more similar to Bombay. Citadelle is also a good one, but not one of my standards. Finally, if you wanna make some excellent martinis, Anchor Junipero has a lush juniper flavor that is off the hook.

I like gin a lot.

I find am tending to agree with you, and have found I like gin with a stronger juniper profile in most cocktails. Would you believe me if I tell you that regular Bombay is not available in Ontario, though? As far as I know no Boodles either. I have to say I really enjoy Plymouth as well.

Have you tried/heard of Victoria gin? It's a small batch gin made in British Columbia and I really like that one as well but given the price I've been using it less often than tanq or beefeater.

betamax
Sep 30, 2008

leering
So, am wanting to start playing around with Brandy/Cognac... should I start with something like a cheap brandy (have an unopened bottle of St Remy VSOP)? Or should I actually get some cognac? The cognac most widely available here are Remy Martin, Courvoisier and Hennesy...

Ernest Hemingway posted:

Oh, and ATTN- betamax, and any other Ontario goons: LCBO must have read this article:

http://www.thegridto.com/life/food-drink/hoarding-alert-lillet-blanc/

Because they are very well stocked in Lillet Blanc as of yesterday. Just got back with my bottle. Finally going to try a Vesper.
Thanks for the heads up but I already got some. There is also Lillet Rouge now as well, and in two weeks there will be Licor 43 which I don't think has been stocked before by the LCBO. If you are into Bourbon George T Stagg will also be available, although in very limited quantities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

betamax
Sep 30, 2008

leering
Does anyone here know why do a bunch of gins are 80 proof in Canada and higher elsewhere (from what I've seen in the USA). I am talking about stuff like Bombay Sapphire, Broker's, Beefeater and Tanqueray, it is all 80 proof, at least in Ontario. I recently went back with my girlfriend to Detroit and found that Sapphire tasted very different in the cocktail I was having (aviation) to me without really knowing why until I noticed it was 94 proof. I subsequently tried Beefeater and the same thing happened, except I knew where to look know (94 proof as well).

Some gins do have the same proof (Plymouth, Hendricks, Tanq 10, most top shelf gins available), so it makes me wonder why would they import a different thing here?