Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

Now I have two reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

How come midori isn't used in Tiki? It seems a natural for the genre.

Man...Yellow Chartreuse is available in a few spots but is $. Found a 750 of green for $120. Jesus. I kinda want to find another bottle to squirrel away cuz of FOMO. But not at 120. Would rather get a El Dorado 21 for that amount.

Strega is a passable substitute for yellow chartreuse, in my experience.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

I enjoyed the River Cottage booze book; should probably get another copy now that I live in the country and not the city.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I do like the BIB brandy but i am morbidly curious to try that white lightning stuff they make sometime. it sounds awful lol

It’s beautiful and if you don’t like it then more for us.

When the elasticity crisis hit smaller producers of brown spirits a decade ago, Lairds dropped the BiB label on their apple brandy, then decided to release an un-aged brandy to fill the gap- that’s the white lightning.

A handful of cocktail bars in NYC bought the first shipment in days. It was briefly discontinued while North Garden spun up production to keep the white lightning from depleting the pipeline to the aged Brandies. If you see the 12+ years on the shelf DM me.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Tonight I made a Scofflaw using Ander's specs:

1.5 oz James Oliver Rye Whiskey
1 oz Noilly Prat Dry Vermouth
.5 oz lemon juice
.25 oz BG Reynolds Lush Grenadine syrup
2 dashes orange bitters

Lemon peel garnish

It really easy drinking and has a good flavor, but it's got a watery mouthfeel and I feel like it needs a richer grenadine syrup. Maybe I should make some homemade grenadine.

This is one of the odd citrus drinks that benefits from a hard stir instead of a shake, since that small amount of acid is not going to want for aeration.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Jean-Paul Shartre posted:

Picked up a bottle of Etter Apricot liqueur to try and make Pendennis Clubs, since they were my wife’s favourite drink at Long Island Bar before I hauled her away from New York. Followed a tip online to add one dash of saline solution to balance the drink out. Man it really helped, and besides the PDC being a very nice drink, I now want to see what else works better salted.

A dash of 10% saline goes a long way for a lot of drinks, particularly ones with savory and bitter ingredients. I’m teaching a cocktail class right now that adds a dash to cantaloupe syrup and it’s an eye opener for a lot of folks- we can use it to tamp down particularly bold flavors as well. Make an Amor y Amargo spec Negroni, add a dash of saline, and have an old favorite for the first time again.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

I have worked less well stocked commercial bars, noice.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Mr. Wiggles posted:

One of my favorite bars has that as a regular item. It's very good.

Trinidad not my real dad.

In Vegas? I once saw one on a menu in Montreal and sent a pic to the drink's originator. Said it gets around because most people classify angostura as a food item for the kitchen, not as beverage alcohol. poo poo, I got carded at the supermarket buying Ango yesterday (to make dried lemons for tree garnish).

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Strange Matter posted:

If Montenegro is cheaper Nonino and Aperol is cheaper Campari, what's Fernet Branca's equivalent?

(I drink enough Campari that it doesn't taste anything like Aperol, but that's the perception)

And Monte doesn't taste like Nonino...but it'll do in a pinch.

There is no next-best Fernet Branca. It's just...its own thing. I can't really think of a lot of consumer package goods to relate it to.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

TengenNewsEditor posted:

A Frozen Paloma was my first cocktail. I still love Palomas. Best soda cocktail?

For my money, it could be. I have been working up an article about American regional sodas and their prohibition-era wink and a nod towards not being mixers, and I'm delighted to say that the original formulation of Mountain Dew makes a great whiskey soda. There's one last semi-independent bottler in Western NC that still makes Dr Pepper and Mountain Dew with cane sugar, and it's not worth paying shipping necessarily but cool as hell if you're passing through Boone or Johnson City.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Qylvaran posted:

They're not doing throwback Mountain Dew anymore? I don't drink sugary soda anymore (I'll make an exception for a Dark and Stormy), but I remember the cane sugar making a huge difference in Dew that it didn't seem to in Mexican Coke and throwback Dr Pepper.

From what I can see on the internet, "real sugar" Dew is still available in places, but what I'm talking about is a real-deal contractual holdout from mid century indie soda bottlers that contracted for the ingredients/concentrates and mixed up the drink and bottled separate from big Pepsi. For God, Country, and Coca-Cola has a lot of good background on the consolidation of soda from regional concerns to a remora on the American Empire, but Pepsi diversified its holdings early, to mixed effect. For instance, Suntory (like the whiskey) is the major operator of PepsiCo bottling in East and South Asia, while these indie bottlers have retained their midcentury contracts by never folding or changing hands.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

AlexDeGruven posted:

Quite likely MGP juice.

They're in Copenhagen, so that's unlikely for cost reasons

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

I've seen orangecello before. Not sure what else is out there.

I’ve had grapefruit and mint made by a Sicilian colleague. It’s nothing terribly fancy- macerate the (thing that’s about to go to waste) in sugar then add high proof booze to extract. The mintocello was an eye opener, especially living in the land of juleps.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

A very dry cosmopolitan.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Anonymous Robot posted:

A caipirinha or ti’ punch?

My instinct is to skew the other way, towards stirred drinks. Old fashioneds, a presidente, a rum negroni.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

A solid haul! I did not know that IL gets VOB 100– I can’t always get it in the homeland.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Qylvaran posted:

To celebrate the first snow of the season, I made Piña Coladas with fresh Piña.

Sweet. I had to explain the Miami Vice to my partner yesterday while discussing 90's cocktail trends that are coming back around, but drat those things are good.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

We use 190 and proof it down to about 100 to make our nocino, which poo poo, I gotta start that for this year.

e: I tried to use it to extra from our Christmas tree (we use last years tree to make a martini while decorating the next one, :3: ) and I had to proof it down to get it to start extracting any color at all.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

I’ve been trying to get my hands on Technical Reserve. It’s 96% ABV and CA doesn’t allow anything above 153 proof

Any ideas how one would get it in Los Angeles other than driving to Brooklyn

Industry Standard?

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Michigan makes other control states look reasonable. Do they still require cash on delivery for all liquor?

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Data Graham posted:

Not as long as old stock remains on the shelf

We must all do our part

Remember the pandemic supply chain shortage? Where some of the major liquor brands had to move to 1L PET because they couldn't get enough custom glass to bottle their wares? And how any major player invested hard in their existing packages to prevent a second shortage?

There's a lot of those embossed glass bottles hanging around storage facilities in France, I'd bet.

Goon forth, and drink that rum.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Steep in a neutral grain spirit until fragrant, sweeten to taste is how I've always done it

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Sir Lemming posted:

I just wasn't clear on what we were steeping

Sorry, the zest. Peel with a vegetable peeler to have as little of the white, bitter pith as possible, and let those sit covered in neutral spirit. The higher the proof the quicker the extraction, 100 proof vodka is a pretty sweet spot if you're not used to working with everclear or its like. Infuse like this until the liquor is fragrant, then add sugar syrup to tamp down the heat/to taste.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

my kinda ape posted:

Yeah I wouldn’t bother refrigerating my St. Germain unless I had a ton of extra fridge space. It’s a purely cosmetic change if it happens at all afaik.

I once back to back'd an oxidized STG with a fresh one and found some slight difference but it was theorized that one bottle was from before the full Bacardi buyout and the flavor may have slightly changed because of different suppliers, so

It's also murmured that it's UV and not temperature that does it, but again, no controlled tests to my knowledge.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Anonymous Robot posted:

I also like Fee’s candy orange flavor, though I don’t care for their other bitters. I’ve mostly switched over to ango orange just because I can usually buy it at the grocery store.

Drinking on a bottle of batched mai tai’s with super lime tonight. Pure bliss. If I make any drink perfectly, this is it.

The orange is the one in their line that stands out to me, but I generally don't care for the glycerin based formulas. If you're particular or go through a lot, the 50-50 mix of Regan's and Fee's ("feegan's") is a wonderfully versatile mix.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

A God drat Ghost posted:

That is easily the best-written explanation for how to do this, thank you.

It looks like it's clearing up after another day of going through a coffee filter in the fridge - really glad I didn't lose the whole batch. I just hope it doesn't taste like coffee.

If anything, it might taste vaguely of paper.

Assuming the coffee filter isn't, y'know...used.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

prayer group posted:

Batching spirits, liqueurs and syrups together provides so many benefits that it bugs me sometimes how few places are doing it. Drinks get made faster, there's less bottles to pick up and put down and clean, and they honestly taste a little better.

At home it's good for the same reasons. Plus I wouldn't expect a big batch of spirits and syrups for say, a Mai Tai, to start tasting off until 30 days at worst.

re: batched cocktails

From years in operations, spirits are a durable good, and everything else in the drink isn't. If you have to throw away liquor because the lemon juice went off/the vermouth oxidized/something grew mold, that's hard cash, the labor it took to make, *and* the markup down the drain. Margins being as tight as they are in hospitality, anyone who's ever stared down a losing P&L is going to break poo poo when they see that kind of avoidable waste. And some are just reticent to change the operations model, because if it isn't broke then maybe it will be after you change something please don't it's all held together with unpaid overtime.

That said, if you build the idea into a concept, you can overdeliver quality at volume.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

Hey for once the OHLQ didn't lie to me and I found a Chartreuse locally. Score.

There were two bottles, I only bought one because I am saintly and generous of spirit. Giving to my fellow man. Everyone should be super impressed with my selflessness.

We are going to get away from Thunder for a night (because we moved next door to the local general aviation field) to Cinci, so if you want to drop where you found that one my fiancée would be appreciative.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

prayer group posted:

It's mostly an efficiency thing, yeah. There's probably some fiddly osmosis poo poo going on with infusion into sugar syrup versus grain alcohol versus a combination of both that would impact overall flavor, but I don't have the chemistry degree or the pay necessary to figure that out.

There is, and it's not worth going too deep into different extraction rates; if you have the time, space, and gear then your method makes high quality results quickly.

If you haven't, then put it in a jar somewhere warm and wait.

Infusions are about time, temperature, and pressure. If you want the easy, hands-off version, use 100 proof ethanol (either buy it or proof down neutral grain spirit). This way, it's equal parts alcohol and water, and you get the best of what each one extracts from the ingredient (water is a polar solvent, ethanol non polar, so you get the best haul of dissolvable compounds).

You wanna get real rude, the Noma fermentation book is a good place to lose a lot of time and bench space to.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Has anyone tried out the breville infizz carbonator?

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Ralith posted:

I just built my own using a CO2 tank and soda bottle adapter. Don't cheap out on the regulator.

Our insurance definitely does not cover DIY pressure vessels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Ralith posted:

A commercial CO2 tank is not a DIY pressure vessel.

Pressurizing a used PET bottle is close enough to scare the underwriters if you're uh, dumb enough to tell them what you plan to do ahead of time.

Or so I could imagine.