Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

So since I started my latest job, I've been saving a couple of bucks to go towards my alcohol hoard to try and build up a decent bar. Add in some gifts and some leftovers from bottle parties, and this is what I have sitting on my shelf. (See if you can tell that I don't like to drop a lot at once on a bottle.)

Jose Cuervo Silver (Eh. I use it to make margaritas or LIITs)
Don Julio Reposado (Miles better than the Cuervo. I can actually sip this tequila, and I "hated" tequila. This was a gift, and turned me onto tequila.)
Llord's Triple Sec (I have not used any other triple sec. Can't comment on it there. Decent enough for me, I guess.)
Amaretto Di Amore (Okay, but tastes noticeably artificial. Should've sprung for DiSaronno, which tastes great and I guess as a contributing factor to it being the standard amaretto. This artificial taste is only there when it's on its own [who does that?] or is in a drink with just this and another ingredient.)
Pinnacle Tropical Punch vodka (Leftover. Goes great with blue hawaiian punch.)
Stock Vermouth [Dry and Sweet] (It was cheap. Leave me alone.)
Angostoura bitters
Banana Jack rum (Very banana-ey. Don't know what to do with this.)
Blackheart rum (Got this on a whim. Really sweet.)
2 small bottles of Tanqueray (I love a G&T. Both of these were gifts.)
Gordon's gin (Or a dirty, dirty, dirty martini.)
Dewar's White label (very :geno: as far as scotches go, in my experience. Not bad at all, seriously. But nothing great about it.)
Ezra Brooks whiskey (Got this to see if I could an under the radar bourbon. Does well for my purposes. It is at least Evan Williams or JD quality. I drink my bourbon straight or on the rocks.)
Seagram's 7 (Have not drank much of it. Had one manhattan with it.)
Bacardi Superior (Have half a handle left of this. Will probably be put to use in LIITs or some other big mishmosh drink.)

Over one summer, my bar has grown immensely. I mean, for a 22 year-old college student with a lovely part time job who only spends the very last of his cash on booze.

Strangely absent is a vodka. Just a regular ol' vodka. I never want to buy it because 1)At least 3 friends will bring vodka to a bottle party 2)I don't want plain ol' vodka. I want to try something with flavor. 3)When I do buy it, I get high-proof and make limoncello. So pushing myself to get a vodka would serve me well. I'd also like to get a dark rum (Most likely Black Seal, but I'm open to other suggestions.) I'd still like to be able to make the most of what I have now.

Anybody have some good cocktail recommendations for me for my bar? Upgrade options (That I haven't already listed?) If it matters at all, I really like tasting the Tanqueray in a G&T, or the whiskey in a manhattan, or the scotch in a rusty nail. (This is probably leading to me upgrading those listed ingredients, huh?)

Content: I recently fell in love with Lynchberg Lemonades.
2 Bourbon
1 Triple Sec
2 Sour
Fill the rest with 7-up.

For more content, I will share the Sad Italian.
2 Amaretto
1 Blue Curacao
1 Sour

So it's a blue amaretto sour. I do not know why people went wild for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

The Spaghetti Western

1 oz Tequila
3/4 oz Amaretto
1/2 oz Gran Marnier or equivalent
Fill with Grapefruit juice

Is this a drink? Because I made it and it's delicious. I still want to play with the ratios a bit, but for now, this is good. My friend suggested the name. We're both big fans of the Man with No Name trilogy, and it immediately stuck.

P.S. I made my first ramos gin fizz the other day and it was delectable.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Just discovered the magic of adding mint, cucumber, or celery to a gin and tonic. Or whatever combination. Makes my favorite drink just a little different. And with Hendricks gin it's just all sorts of :allears:

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Yo Kenning, I made Limmer's Club Gin Punch for a party last night and it was a huge fuckin' hit.

My friends are all sold on punch. Me, too. Thanks.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

swimming anime posted:

applejack should be a spirit, i.e. 40%+ without any sugar added however applejack traditionally was made through freeze distillation (i.e. brewing a cider, and leaving it out in the winter cold so the water freezes out and the alcohol concentrates) and if they make it with this method, 20-30% would make sense. This is, however, illegal in the united states and can be dangerous. Any impurities such as methanol present in the original cider are not distilled out like they would be on a still, and so drinking freeze distilled spirits can cause wicked hangovers or other worse effects.

You could heat things up and wait until it hits 172°F and that should be around the temp that some bad poo poo has boiled off. But you'd still be left with some stuff above the boiling temp of water.

This is like my 3rd edit because I am dumb but finally googled poo poo.

Rotten Cookies fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Apr 2, 2015

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gwrtheyrn posted:

Totally unrelated, but do you by chance read the manga titled "Bartender"? Or watch the live action version I guess.

"W-..this is the best drink I've ever had! How did you know I'd like this?"

"Ah, yes sir, I saw the tan line of a wedding ring on your finger. This drink is for those who are lonely. This drink is called Red Headed Slut."

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Maybe I should make some tiki drinks... My only tiki mug is like 24 ounces. Mind you, that is not a problem.

My girlfriend is allergic to pineapple. What tiki drinks are there without pineapple in them? Or what would you substitute in for pineapple, if anything?

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

bloody ghost titty posted:

It's worth it to say there is no such thing as a straight sub in tiki. Balance is everything, and switching Passionfruit for pineapple is going to require changing nearly every other measure, if not the rum/sugar balance entirely. Not to say it can't be done, but don't expect to hot swap anything.

I'm not expecting a simple this for that substitute. Though that would be nice I guess. I know tiki drinks are fairly complex and pineapple is pretty distinctive, so it wouldn't be so easy to put something else in its place. I honestly don't know much about those kinds of drinks anyway because I generally steer clear of them for my girlfriend's sake.

Hearing "tiki drink" makes me think of pineapple, but surely there have to be some without that in them, right? If anyone HAS experimented with cutting pineapple out of a drink and gotten something comparable, I'd love to hear it. As well if anyone knows of P.apple-less tiki drinks.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Do they not have tiny bottles at your liquor store?

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Well they at least exist. I could swear I saw some at one of the liquor stores around here.

http://www.justminiatures.co.uk/campari-miniature-aperitif-40ml-p-2040.html

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Like Whole Foods / Trader Joes nice? I can do that. I just didn't think to order any off amazon in the past couple weeks. I do have prime, so I can order it if I need to, but I'd prefer to get it in person. Making Limmer's Club for the fourth.

If this is the first time you're making punch for a party, be prepared to become the punch guy. Everyone is going to love it and will say that punch is the way to go. You will then feel obligated to make punch for everything. You will oblige because you also love punch. Are you ready for this future?

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Crosspostin' from the Infuse Your Booze thread. I'm making this punch again for tomorrow. Kind of takes 3 days of prep, though. It's pretty much limecello and strawberry shrub with some seltzer and mint. I just used one of those giant vats with the tap that you can get from Walmart, since it holds like 3 gallons.

Zest of 8 limes in 500ml of high proof vodka (I used everclear, but have also used Devil's Springs) , soaking for 2-3 days, then strain and cut it with 550ml water, 250ml sugar.

4 cups strawberries cut into tiny bits and 3.5 cups sugar sittin' together for about a day, strain the juice/syrup from the berry carcasses (but keep those because they fuckin' rule on waffles or toast or whatever!). Add in 4 cups of vinegar. I used white, but I could easily see apple cider vinegar replacing half that.

Add that limecello and strawberry shrub together, add in 3-4L of seltzer, add a chunk of ice, and get very drunk. I also had some mint leaves around because I thought they went nice together.

The punch went very quickly the last time I made it. I look forward to serving it again tomorrow.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Once while pretty buzzed at a party, I thought I could use a Crown Royal sack as a lewis bag.

The drink had plenty of crushed ice in it. Along with a ton of little purple fuzz. Still drank it.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Since I like making mojitos and caipirinhas a whole bunch, I've just made a squeeze bottle's worth of lime oleo saccharum. I added in a bit of lime juice as well, just because I figure there's going to be some in the muddled mixture, and a little vodka just to try and keep some nasties out if I end up not finishing it in a somewhat reasonable time (I will) . Works a fuckin' treat. Only need relatively little to get the lime flavor. I'll spank a bunch of mint, throw in the lime syrup, possibly add some rich syrup if I want it a bit sweeter, since I don't use much of the lime syrup, and do the rest as normal.

I've also been using it to make a semi-sweetened G&T for my girlfriend since she loves hers with a ton of lime. She can deal with the little sugar added.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

To draw out as much lemon oil from the zest as possible?

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

I've made a sort of strong mint tea, strained out the leaves, and dissolved sugar into it while still hot, then cooling it. It tastes.... okay.

E: I'm pretty sure Sailor Jerry is universally well-regarded. I would stay the hell away from Bacardi Black and Capn Morgan Black. I like Appleton, Mt Gay, and Brugal, but you really can't go wrong with Sailor Jerry, I feel.

Rotten Cookies fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jul 25, 2015

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

I had an awesome cocktail with my girlfriend last night in Vegas. Muddled cucumber, Hendrick's gin, lemon juice, egg white, and a rim of some sort of pulverized pepper. They called it tahini? But I'm pretty sure that's not what it's called and I was just mishearing. Anyway, it was fantastic.

That liquor recommendation list is great. I agree with the poster who said Luksusowa vodka is good. Because it is good.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

BoredByThis posted:

Willing to bet it was Tajin. It's a lime peel, chili powder and salt mixture, and it goes awesome with cucumber based cocktails.

That's exactly it. You are a golden man.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Reverse dry shake rules. Can confirm.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

2DCAT posted:

Where at in Gramercy? I'll stop in and order something... then i'll order a Bennett. mwuahaha

Likewise, any of y'all work in NYC and don't mind me bothering you, lemme know where I can buy a drink from you.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

I tried making some sort of large batch fall drink for my friends' party last week. It came out pretty good. I mean, it all went, so I guess that's some sort of indicator.

Skin and cube probably 2 apples and 2 pears. I poured a bit of sugar on them and let them sit until needed. It drew out a bit of juice.
1.75 L of red wine (What sort of wine exactly I left up to my girlfriend. She got something sweeter and spicy. Don't remember what.)
Simmer, covered, with 3 sticks cinnamon, 5 cloves, and maybe a teaspoon of cardamom (cause why not?) for about an hour.
Strain out spices.
Combine with ~2 liters apple cider and ~.5L bourbon (though I might try some sort of brandy next time?)

I honestly liked it better cold than hot, but it was still pretty good hot. Very drinkable, and came out to about 10% ABV., so it got you there pretty good.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

I once peeled right through grapefruit and also through my index finger nail, taking half the nail off. I think some of the worst part is the citrusy stuff getting into the cut immediately.

Also, it has more to do with the peeler being dull enough to get stuck.

Rotten Cookies fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Nov 19, 2015

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

I used to work in South Hampton and never seen anyone drink one of those, or even heard of it.

That said, I'd try it.

Anyone make their own bitters? Got any good recipes? I'd gently caress around with that.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Vodka, ginger beer, and grapefruit juice.

It's pretty good.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Limmers punch has never failed to disappear by night's end. I made a handle's worth for about 15 people and it all went. Everyone got poo poo housed and had a great time. I love punch.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Depending on how big the openings in the strainer are, you could stick like, say a screwdriver in there so it hits the back of the cap, with the handle of the screwdriver sticking out. Then slam it against a table or something.

I second the opinion of throwing it out and getting a different shaker, but I also admit I don't like that style of shaker.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Got a recipe for that shrub?

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Fart Car '97 posted:

I diced 2 peaches, grated a 1 inch cube of ginger, muddled them in a rough 1:1 equivalent of sugar, let it soak overnight then added .5 parts cider vinegar and .5 parts rice vinegar and let that soak overnight again before straining the liquid out.

Thanks, deffo gonna try this out.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Limoncello in champagne is pretty alright. Or mix it with unsweetend iced tea. Put it in a corona after you drink the neck down. You could put it in sprite, but I find that way, way too sweet. Some people like it. As others have said, a limoncello margarita is a thing you could do.

Also, put that poo poo over ice cream/sorbet. I one time drunkenly made bananas foster with it. Aside from that probably being a bad decision, it came out alright.

Rotten Cookies fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jun 29, 2016

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

BBQ Dave posted:

What can I make with Aperol and St. Germain? My wife and I bought a bottle of each to make Dr. Girlfriends and we're a little underwhelmed.

What is this?

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

BBQ Dave posted:

Oh, here.

1 1/4 OZ GIN
3/4 OZ GRAPEFRUIT JUICE
1/2 OZ APEROL
1/2 OZ ST. GERMAIN
1/2 OZ LEMON JUICE
1 DASH SCRAPPY'S LAVENDER BITTERS
MARTINI GLASS, LEMON TWIST.

Someone gave us lavender bitters and well, we like venture brothers.

Had to ask, since I love the Venture Bros

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Punch is definitely great.

Limmers gin club punch in the link above is an absolute party pleaser and dead easy to make. You'll go far with it. I'm so glad Kenning pushed punch on everyone so hard because it has greatly improved my quality of drinking life.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

My bad, I completely missed the Fall Themed requirement. You are correct. I've had good luck with Admiral Russel's.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Toast Museum posted:

I've gotten more into cocktails lately and have started trying to stock a decent liquor cabinet. I'm working my way through the thread, and I'm sure I'd hit this eventually, but I'm going to jump ahead to ask: what are some good rums to check out?

I figure a white rum and a dark rum should cover my bases well enough, though if there's a really standout gold or spiced rum I should be looking at instead, I'm all ears.

If it helps inform the recommendation any, of the cocktails I've tried making lately, the ones I've liked best have involved some component that keeps them from being too aggressively boozy: a sharp citrus note, egg white to smooth out the texture, a splash of soda, whatever. I don't need it not to taste like an alcoholic drink, but I want to know there's something else in the glass with it, if that makes sense.

Kenning strikes again!

I just like that liquor list.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

CodfishCartographer posted:

Kenning's liquor list has been my go-to for recommendations,but I have heard that Flor De Cana Extra Dry has some really lovely conditions and practices, as brought up a few pages ago in this thread. Some folks suggested Denizen white or Plantation instead. I haven't tried out either yet, though.It's a shame, since Flor De Cana makes the best drat Daiquiri.

Just looked this up and drat, that's hosed up.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Gonna try making the Flaming Bishop punch Kenning posted about a while back. It's for a Mad Max theme party. Hope it's more :perfect: and less :mediocre:. It sounds like it would be a good choice for a chilly outdoor fall party.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

The Flaming Bishop went over amazingly well. People went nuts over the flames and spice flare. I handed the bowl of spice around and eople took turns throwing some in. And it kept everyone warm and drunk. I might add a bit more cider next time I make it, though. It was a bit strong for some people and the temperature brought out the alcohol more. Even still, it all went.

Good stuff. Punch rules.

Someone asked what the hell was in the punch, pointing to the clove-studded orange. I lied and said they were a weird variety called Penance Oranges. A couple people picked up on it and kept the lie going all night.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

I believe it's in June. I accidentally left my nuts in the last batch for too long, but I'm just gonna leave it to mellow until I forget about it and hopefully by the time I find it again, it'll be alright.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Making a batch of Limmers, even though I think of it as more of a summery drink. My friend who is hosting requested it as soon as I offered to make punch, and who am I to refuse. Just looked up the punch you're talking about. Seems properly wintery.

quote:

Servings: 10-12

8 ounces citrus juice, combined from 1 orange, 1 lemon and 1 lime
peel from citrus (no pith)
1 cup brown sugar
16 ounces Jamaican rum
16 ounces Applejack
24 ounces black tea, brewed and still hot
24 ounces cider
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
Garnish: pomegranate seeds and slices of mixed citrus
DIRECTIONS
Add sugar and citrus peels to large punch bowl and muddle, then let sit for 30 minutes to one hour.
Add hot tea and stir to dissolve sugar.
Strain out citrus peels and add liquid back to bowl. Add citrus juice, rum and Applejack.
Add ice cubes; two-iinch cubes are preferred so it doesn't melt as fast, but whatever you have will work.
When ready to serve, top with cider, grated cinnamon, grated nutmeg and garnish with citrus slices and pomegranate seeds sprinkled throughout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

The Maestro posted:

If I make a flawless drink but the guest doesn’t like it, then I haven’t done my job 100%.

*hands over glass that's 1/4 full*

I didn't like my long island iced tea, I couldn't taste the liquor. Make me another