Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Great OP! I've just moved to a new city, and most of my glasses were broken in transit, so I've been starting over from scratch with a few tumblers. Do you find that cocktail (i.e. "martini") glasses make a difference for drinks served up (no ice)? Or can I just use my wine glasses?
Another question, I've been on a rye kick lately, and I've been searching for a good Manhattan recipe, right now I'm using equal parts rye and sweet vermouth with a few (6-8) dashes of Angostura bitters, what's your favorite? Also what brand of vermouth do you prefer? I bought a bottle of Vya sweet vermouth (I love their dry--chilled, with a twist of lemon), and while it works fine for my Negronis, it seems too assertive in a Manhattan. Thanks for making a new cocktail thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Johnny Mnemonic posted:

As far as a good mixing vodka with a cool mouth feel, I'd like to throw Monopolowa potato vodka into the mix. It is in there with Luksosowa and sobieski as 10$/fifth vodkas that are as good as anything 4x as expensive.

I love Broker's gin, but I feel wierd drinking it since it came onto the market so recently but tries to have an old-style label. Any gin aficionados care to weigh in on it?

My typical strategy in the liquor store is to look for alcohols with the smallest marketing budget possible.

Broker's is both rad and cheap. I like it.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Herr Tog posted:

Thank you very much! Notes have been taken and search engines used. Hopefully sometime this spring or summer I will be sipping proper dry martinis.

Junipero is also nice (although heavy on the juniper, obviously).

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Herr Tog posted:

Sweet, also I already have some Gordons, would that work for a martini or G&T only? Also what is the proper thing to stir/dispense a martini in?

Gordon's is fine. The key to a good martini is measuring your gin and vermouth, I like 1:4 or 1:3 vermouth:gin. Stir with ice, add a dash of lemon or orange bitters if you have them, serve up in a coupe or cocktail glass with a lemon twist. The alternate, "dry" martini style would use less vermouth, like 1:6 or 1:8, no bitters, and garnished with a couple of olives. Coupes are big now, probably because they are prettier and lend themselves to a more civilized drink size that you could actually finish before it got too warm, but a cocktail glass is also quite nice. Here are some links so you can see pictures, but any housewares/bb&b/pier one/k mart should have what you need.

coupe: http://www.newyorkfirst.com/gifts/stork-club-champagne-coupe-11/
cocktail: http://www.crateandbarrel.com/viv-martini-glass/s240745

edit: I realize now you were asking about a shaker; here's a classic:http://www.crateandbarrel.com/boston-shaker/s294640. A water glass also works.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

That seems like way too many elements. Also maraschino cherry liquid is nasty. I just muddle a sugar cube with 3-4 dashes angostura, and 1.5 - 2 ounces of rye or bourbon and ice. I usually garnish with an twist of orange peel. I like your rye/brandy blend, but I wouldn't keep liquor in the freezer, it gives it a weird texture in my opinion.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

My go-tos for Martinis are usually Junipero or Beefeaters; New Amsterdam when I'm broke or for G&Ts as the pronounced citrus is more welcome in that drink.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Dry vermouth is fine in a Manhattan; try making a "perfect", half dry, half sweet. Also, next time you have money for whisky, try a rye, I like it a lot better than bourbon in Manhattans as it tends to be drier and have a nice peppery kick.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Dolin rules; I love the dry in martinis. I love vermouths like Vya and Carpano, but they're nicer on ice with a twist of orange or lemon than mixed.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Try a dark & stormy. The better the ginger beer the better the drink.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

You really shouldn't shake any of those drinks. Nick Charles gets away with it for the same reason as James Bond, he's cool. I'm a sperg, stir.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

You usually use them in highball drinks where you don't want a lot of dilution; old fashioneds, etc. Although this always bothered me because I thought the ice needed to melt to cool the mix, but maybe I'm just remembering chemistry lab wrong.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Campari definitely rules. I think it plays especially well with orange; I love garnishing a left hand or negroni with an orange twist.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

If you can find Templeton rye it's very nice. Rittenhouse is my gold standard for cocktails with a perfect quality to price ratio. When it's out of season, I usually go with Old Overholt. I've tried Whistlepig at a tasting and its awesome, but at that price I usually just buy Lagavulin or something.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Vya dry is seriously gorgeous. I love it lightly chilled with a twist of orange or lemon. Dolin dry is my go to for martinis, I can usually find half bottles for $9 or so, and kept in the fridge it keeps for at least a month.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

If you're in the U.S. California "champagne" is usually a good value. I like the Roederer Estate and Piper Sonoma. You should also check out Cava from Spain for great value, just stay away from Freixenet.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Death of Rats posted:

Also, I had a scotch and soda last night (with Jura Origin), and enjoyed it more than I expected to. I'm not sure if here or the whiskey thread is best to ask, but since I'm posting anyway, does anyone have a favourite scotch for that job? I'm feeling a new favourite summer drink coming on.

Ballantine's for value, Black Grouse if I don't mind spending money.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

angor posted:

Just so I'm clear: Dolin Rouge and Vya Dry, right?

Yes, those are both beautiful vermouths. I like Dolin dry, but the Vya is better. Dolin Rouge is terrific and short of carpano is the best Italian vermouth I've had.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

I've never heard of an old fashioned made with blended scotch, but I guess it might work? I like to make them with Rittenhouse Rye, but bourbon is more traditional. Rum also works really well. Is there a bourbon you like? I would buy a bottle and make old fashioned cocktails with that bottle. If not, Rittenhouse or Turkey are both inexpensive and shouldn't disappoint. If you don't want to taste first at a bar, I'd just pick up whichever is on sale.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Isn't a rob roy made with sweet vermouth?

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

You could also just drink vermouth as an apertif once a week or so. Chilled dry vermouth with a lemon twist is a lovely pre-dinner drink. So is Italian vermouth with a slice of orange.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Mr. Glass posted:

No, absolutely not. I'm in the same boat as you, but fortunately a lemon twist is just as legit a garnish.

Not sure how authentic this is, but i also like a dash of bitters in my martini (depending on the gin).

I also like a lemon twist and a dash of orange or lemon bitters. Dry vermouth and citrus play well together.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Elderbean posted:

Any whiskey/vermouth recommendations for a manhattan?

Dolin for vermouth and Rittenhouse BIB or Sazerac rye.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Bowmore? Might be cheaper than Laphroaig, also an Islay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

After trying a bunch of them over the years, I prefer standard Bombay dry (i.e., not Sapphire) for most cocktails, but I'll let the actual professionals weigh in.