Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Choom Gangster posted:

I work at Scott & Co in Tucson, Az. Proper cocktailing is what I do.

I think I may know you.

Listen to these guys, best goddamn drinks in town.

I like turtles fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Sep 23, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I've been requested to make a halloween-ish themed alcoholic punch for, well, halloween. At this point, kinda thinking a handle of vodka, a bottle or two of wine, fruit juice of some sort (berry? mango?), cut with sprite or 7up or something. Toss some food safe glowsticks in there before the party to get it glowing. Maybe food dye? Possibly toss some dry ice in there every now and then?

It'll be in a big glass bottle with a tap on the bottom, so it should look good in that context

Obviously this isn't a fine cocktail, but I'd still like to make something tasty and not too expensive to get ~10 ~25 year olds sloshed and be themed well enough. Suggestions for wines, fruit juices, or entirely different relatively affordable party punches?

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

That sounds really cool - though it would probably only look good before we started drinking it and disturbed the float, right?

Might set up a gin and tonic station separate from the punch and hit that with black light, while many of us love gin and tonics, it might kinda throw the punch off in the quantity needed to get a decent glow out of it

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

So for my Halloween punch I'm gonna do white rum, midori, blue curacao, possibly some amaretto, and soda of some sort, either soda water or sprite or something. Maybe get some sort of juice in there.
v:shobon:v It should be pretty and not taste too bad... I'm just concerned about going over-sweet.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Ended up going with a 750ml bottle of white rum, 750ml bottle of midori, 2oz of Campari, 4 oz of Blue curacao. Will hit it with some lime juice and soda to bring the volume up/abv down. Is fairly decent right now. Good color too. Sweet side is fine, painfully sweet drinks are popular with most of the expected attendees.

It's primarily a low key geek (not greek) post college party. There was talk of having a Doctor Who marathon.

I like turtles fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Oct 27, 2011

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

bunnielab posted:

This thing was a huge hit. You had to keep in on "mist" as the "stream" setting will make some (many) people gag. I usually kept it loaded with 50/50 Old Crow and cranberry juice. I tried to fancy it up a few times but always went back to the standard.

Honestly, bourbon and cran is a pretty decent "real" drink. It has the proper mix of sweet and sour and if you buy decent ingreadents it can have some depth to it.

... Goddamnit, I remember you posting this before. I might have to go buy a dedicated food sprayer.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I'd like to see this succeed, good applejack is a hard thing to find. I'm backing it, hopefully funding will pick up for them.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1711774770/holy-terror-farm-micro-distillery

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I tried lairds and didn't really like it at all. Rough as hell. It definitely gets you shitfaced quickly, but I want a sipping applejack, which I think this guy could be producing.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Huh, ok. I've only had the cheap stuff, never seen the higher grade Laird's in Arizona. Our distributors are apparently terrible, though. I found some french thing that was loving delicious, I'll see if I can find the name when I get home. It's fortified-with-good-calvados hard cider. So port, but with an all apple base.

Edit:
This is the stuff that is gross:

I like turtles fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Feb 27, 2012

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Vegetable Melange posted:

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu I got some calls to make.

To be clear, that particular laird's stuff is nasty, I was showing the bottle.

I've called the restaurant where I got the apple-port stuff to see if I can figure out the name, it isn't on their online wine list. They're gonna call me back when they get a hold of the manager who knows everything.

Edit: They say the good stuff is called Tomeau, but that isn't yielding any google hits. I'll take a picture of the bottle when I get home.

I like turtles fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Feb 27, 2012

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Ok, it isn't tomeau, I think the intermediary person didn't get it down right.

It is Pommeau de Normandie, Famille L Dupont, from these dudes: http://www.calvados-dupont.com/

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Vegetable Melange posted:

I recently tried their triple, stupid good. Was the stuff you had this?

Yes, though I have a different looking bottle. I thought it was cider as a blender but I guess it was just tasty apple juice.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

You definitely don't "need" those while you're learning cocktails, I would stick to basic bitters like angostura, maybe Peychaud's. The most important thing to learn is proper measuring and mixing, building a mental repertoire of drinks, and what various spirits/ingredients taste like.

That said if you're curious about them definitely go for it.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

Jesus, what does that taste like? I substitute rum for vodka.

Deliciousness? If you like gin, I guess. The botanicals get toned down in juice.
Snoop Dogg knows where it's at
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QeVxx3l8JY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Ramos Gin Fizz, or whatever other spirits you like instead.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fizz_(cocktail)