Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ernest Hemingway
Dec 4, 2009
A good drink for all (non-adjusted palates, cocktail aficionados, 'girls', etc.) is the La Floridita Daiquiri:

2 oz. white rum
1 oz. fresh squeezed lime juice
1/2 oz. simple syrup
1/4 oz. maraschino

Shaken over ice, strained into a chilled cocktail glass.

Finally got my hands on some maraschino liqueur last week (LCBO stocks Luxardo now), and served these to the guests at my birthday party.

A classic daiquiri served up is a superb drink. The sweetness is there for those who need it, and in the Floridita the maraschino keeps things interesting - it will keep the aficionados happy, and might make some non cocktail drinkers curious about enjoying some real flavour in their drink.

Make sure to chill the glass, fresh squeeze the limes, and be careful with the maraschino - it's strong stuff and too much will completely overpower the drink.

e:spelling

Ernest Hemingway fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Oct 17, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ernest Hemingway
Dec 4, 2009

Vegetable Melange posted:

That is a great drink and an excellent bridge for people who think maraschino is classy pucker sour cherry. In turn, I give you Audrey Sanders old Cuban:

2oz white rum (I like the flor de caña, if you can get the Havana club three year, by all means)
3/4 fresh lime juice, or half a medium lime, depending
1/2 sweetner, I usually reach for cane syrup when using rum, for obvious reasons, but you should dilute the stuff you find in bottles to a similar consistency and sweetness as simple syrup, because more viscous stuff sticks to the walls of the shakers
2 dashes ango or similar
2 leaves mint
Combine in tin, shake, strain into coupes. Top with sparkling wine to fill and a gently beaten mint leaf.

Modern classic, don't know if its been published. I like to use a funky white rum like banks for a little extra verve.

The next time someone tries to bring bubbly into my place I'm definitely making this. Can I get away with plain ol' simple syrup or do you strongly recommend the cane syrup?

Ernest Hemingway
Dec 4, 2009

Vegetable Melange posted:

My bar book calls for simple, but I've always found cane syrup to be more complimentary with cane based liquor and lime. And what do you mean, "tries"?

I'm not a big fan of bubbly, so the joke I was trying to make was that someone bringing it to my place would somehow be an unwelcome gesture.

In reality I'm nowhere near that highbrow - I'm a pretty happy camper if someone brings something to drink, regardless of what it is. That said, rosé might be pushing it.

Ernest Hemingway
Dec 4, 2009
Going to a friend's house for dinner tonight, told them I'd bring the cocktail stuff and mix some drinks. They said they had fresh mint.

Can anyone recommend a simple drink I can make that incorporates mint? I used to make the Southside (Gin, Lemon or lime, Simple Syrup, Mint) - but that drink has fallen out of favour with me.

Any suggestions?

Ernest Hemingway
Dec 4, 2009

betamax posted:

Thing is, alcohol here is controlled by one government company, and to source something they usually don't carry you need to get a full crate, and end up paying 2 to 3 times the price per bottle. It is insane... even bringing something from Quebec is a pain.

That white french bitter you mentioned, is it from Quebec? I most definitively want to look into it now. It was in Quebec where I found a few producers of Creme de Cassis which were a lot better than the stuff we usually get here.

Fellow Ontario goon here and I feel your pain... sourcing obscure ingredients is a pain in the rear end and we're pretty much at the mercy of the LCBO. There are so many cocktails I've had to overlook because the ingredients just aren't available here.

Ernest Hemingway
Dec 4, 2009

betamax posted:

Before May it was impossible to find Maraschino Liquor here (since then we got Luxardo, and seems to be going out of stock as well).

I got my bottle. Found it at the Queen's Quay location in Toronto. Had to have the guy scrounge it out of the back for me. I'm glad I picked it up.

I've already mentioned the La Floridita Daiquiri in this thread, but another excellent cocktail with Maraschino is The Last Word. Someone mentioned it in the last thread:

3/4 oz. Lime
3/4 oz. Gin
3/4 oz. Green Chartreuse
3/4 oz. Maraschino

An intense and wonderful drink. It's a depression era cocktail that fell out of use until it's recent revival by the Zig Zag Café in Seattle.

And for Ontario/Toronto goons - Apparently the newly refurbished Melody Bar at the Gladstone Hotel has The Last Word on the menu as one of it's signature cocktails: http://www.toronto.com/article/700902--buzz-on-bars-melody-bar

Can't wait to get out there to try one and compare it to my home version.

Ernest Hemingway
Dec 4, 2009

bunnielab posted:

This thing was a huge hit. You had to keep in on "mist" as the "stream" setting will make some (many) people gag. I usually kept it loaded with 50/50 Old Crow and cranberry juice. I tried to fancy it up a few times but always went back to the standard.

Honestly, bourbon and cran is a pretty decent "real" drink. It has the proper mix of sweet and sour and if you buy decent ingreadents it can have some depth to it.

... and to think I've been painstakingly chilling every glass before serving my guests when all the while I could have been shooting the drink in their faces.

On the subject of cranberry juice: I'm at a bit of a loss on this one because there's a wide variety of cranberry juice products out there (cranberry cocktail, etc.) with wildly varying properties. With a carefully balanced drink like a Cosmopolitan, I'm at a loss as to what I should be using. The instructions only ever say 'Cranberry Juice'. Lemon and lime juice is so easy because since you're fresh squeezing them you can't really gently caress it up.

With cranberry juice, where you're forced to buy a store bought concoction, I've been reluctant to use it in anything other than mixed-down highballs.

Does anyone have any advice in what to look for in a good cranberry juice?

Ernest Hemingway
Dec 4, 2009

feedmyleg posted:

So I drink a fair amount of beer and wine. I enjoy cocktails a lot, too, but I don't make them at home and I haven't been ordering them when I go out for ages. Now that I'm trying to lose some weight, I have the completely unresearched idea that switching over to cocktails will cut some of those calories, or at least it would give me more options than switching to light beers. Is my thinking mistaken? Is it all about the mixers like I assume? If so, does anyone have any good low-calorie cocktail recipes involving whiskey, burbon, or rum? I could do vodka or tequila if my hand were forced. If it gives a good basis for recommendation, my three favorite cocktails are Manhattans, Sidecars, and Whiskey Ginger Ale.

It would probably cut some of the calories. Sugary mixers are bad, but the problem is, alcohol itself is high in calories so there's no way around that. I'm sure someone can give a better answer, but I believe there's about 60-80 calories in a shot of 80 proof alcohol. So, for a 2.5-3 oz. Manhattan you're looking at 180-240 calories. And seeing how a Manhattan is all booze, that's pretty much as efficient as you can get. Maybe hold the garnish.

With beer, you get about 150 calories per beer, plus all of the carbohydrates. Light beer doesn't make much difference, because the calories saved are usually just equivalent to the amount of alcohol removed from the drink. And it makes the beer taste terrible so what the hell is the point.

e: Recommendation: Based on your like of the Sidecar, try a Between the Sheets:

1 oz. brandy
1 oz. white rum
1 oz. Cointreau
3/4-1 oz. lemon juice

Shaken over ice, strained into a chilled cocktail glass. Garnish with lemon twist.

That's a pretty drat efficient and classy alcohol delivery system for you. Very similar to the Sidecar, but a lot smoother.

Ernest Hemingway fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Nov 4, 2011

Ernest Hemingway
Dec 4, 2009

Klauser posted:

I'm not sure what the weather is doing by you, but here on Long Island it's getting cold. Made this last night and it was very appropriate for fall.

Cantil Moon Manhattan

1 1/2oz rye
1/2oz Applejack
1oz apple cider
1/4oz sweet vermouth
1 dash cranberry bitters

Stir/strain. Garnish with apple slice(s).

Is there any sort of consensus regarding replacing Applejack with Calvados? Laird's is the only producer of Applejack and it's not available where I live. There are a few drinks I'd like to try, but I'm hesitant to go buy some Calvados because I don't know if it's an acceptable substitute.

Ernest Hemingway
Dec 4, 2009

llama_arse posted:

I submit that there is no better drink than a dry martini, and my skill in making them is such that a bartender once complimented me on it. Still, it's curious to give someone props for making a drink with only two ingredients (one if you are Winston Churchill).

I've never really understood why the Classic Martini is such a big deal. To me, they've always seemed like a struggle to drink a glass full of vodka/gin before it gets warm and gross.

Somebody please, explain.

Oh, and ATTN- betamax, and any other Ontario goons: LCBO must have read this article:

http://www.thegridto.com/life/food-drink/hoarding-alert-lillet-blanc/

Because they are very well stocked in Lillet Blanc as of yesterday. Just got back with my bottle. Finally going to try a Vesper.

Ernest Hemingway
Dec 4, 2009

Kenning posted:

First of all, the glass is probably too big. It shouldn't be any more than 4.5 ounces (as I mentioned earlier in this thread). Secondly, it shouldn't be made with vodka. Third, the vermouth should be fresh. Fourth, it should actually be stirred with ice, rather than just lazily sloshed in the mixing glass. Fifth, there is such a thing as too dry – if your gin : vermouth ratio is exceeding 6 : 1 you should just call a spade a spade and say you're drinking gin up. Finally, a couple dashes of orange bitters and a lemon twist makes it all sing.

The reason that no one actually likes Martinis is that few places actually serve martinis. They serve vaguely cool gin/vodka faintly tainted with sour vermouth. And that's terrible.

Sweet, thanks for the tips. I just got some Orange Bitters so I'll give this a try.

It's funny how people don't know about vermouth going bad. I guess most people (myself included, until recently) just assume everything in the liquor cabinet is okay to just sit there forever. My girlfriend thought I was crazy when I started pouring the months old, unrefrigerated stuff down the sink.

Thread Content: The Leatherneck (from Ted Haigh's Vintage Spirits and Forgotten Cocktails):

2 oz. blended whisky
3/4 oz. blue curacao
1/2 oz. lime juice

Shake on ice, pour into a chilled cocktail glass, garnish with a lime wheel.

This drink is alright. Nothing special, but has a funky greenish blue colour which I guess is it's redeeming quality.

Ernest Hemingway fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Nov 19, 2011

Ernest Hemingway
Dec 4, 2009
Pffff, infusion is for amateurs. Real mixologists distill their own spirits. I've got a bathtub full of gin right now.

Ernest Hemingway
Dec 4, 2009

Very Strange Things posted:

You can turn that screwdriver into a really nice cocktail, that's also fun to say, called a Harvey Wallbanger just by adding a splash of Galliano.

In the future, don't bother blowing $25 on a bottle of Vodka for someone that doesn't appreciate booze. The difference in flavor is extremely subtle, and mostly in the mind of the taster, when it comes to vodka. Good Vodka is supposed to taste like *nothing, and Schmirrnoff achieves that goal for :10bux: less.

*I happen to like Stolichnya though, as an exception. It has a buttery flavor I like in a Vodka Gibson. There are other expensive Vodkas that are supposed to have delicate botanical flavors, and are distilled differently, but I'm pretty sure Grey Goose is just an overpriced neutral Vodka.

HOWEVER. You should save the Grey goose bottle when it's empty so you can refill it with cheaper Vodka and look like a big shot.

Grey Goose is a Western style vodka that is intentionally devoid of any character, whereas Vodkas like Stoli are Eastern style and have some character left over from the distilling process. But once you start mixing vodka with anything, any character it has quickly goes bye bye.

I'm all for filling 'premium' bottles with 'ordinary' vodka like Smirnoff. Screw Grey Goose though, Dan Akryod's Crystal Head vodka has the best bottle around:

http://crystalheadvodka.com/welcome

Ernest Hemingway
Dec 4, 2009
One good thing about having a Boston Shaker is that if you have sturdy glassware you can shake drinks that you'd normally just build in the glass and stir around a bit.

Just build the drink as usual, pop the metal section on top, shake, and then pour the drink ice and all back into the original glass.

The plain old Cape Codder becomes a pretty sexy ice cold drink with a half inch of foam on top if you do this. The extra effort on presentation and individual treatment of each person's drink goes a long way into how good your drinks end up tasting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ernest Hemingway
Dec 4, 2009

Mister Macys posted:

I bought my first bottle of Hendrick's Gin a few days ago, and was planning on trying a few mixed drinks, in addition to trying it neat, and on the rocks.

Out of :downs: curiousity, does it matter what kind of cucumber I garnish/muddle with?
Would a garden cucumber be better than an english cuke? (The two that I have easy access to)

You can't invest in fancy gin and then cheap out on the cucumber. English for sure.