Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Tried a “Written Word” tonight (Last Word with Cointreau instead of Luxardo), it was very nice.

Love that luxardo though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I swear until tonight I’d never noticed green Chartreuse was 55% alcohol lmao.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

drat, all I've got's this Calvados I've been trying to find a good use for.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Yep. Make a Diamondback with 100-proof apple brandy and rye to be both delicious and capable of getting you where you want to go in a hurry.

Good suggestion btw, I ended up using apple schnapps and bourbon but it was deffo worth making a second one

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Does Mixel just like, not use particular brand names? Or is that a paid app thing?

Trying to fill it out based on what I have and it's like "gin :geno:"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

OK, cool. And I assume if you put in "st. germain" it'll still show you recipes that call for "elderflower" (as an example); you don't have to have both in there. Or like if you just put in "white rum" it'll still show you generic rum things.

I wish the "randomize" function would only filter on things I have. Is that something I have yet to figure out how to do?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

So um. Is it worthwhile at all to clarify citrus juice?

Seems like when I get citrusy drinks at bars they're always completely clear, way less cloudy than I get them at home when I squeeze lemons or limes into them directly. Are they all just using bulk-bought pre-centrifuged stuff? Or am I overestimating how common that even is?

I couldn't find agar due to covid shenanigans so I tried putting lime juice through a ZeroWater filter, it amazingly effectively gave me a cup of water

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I prolly oughtta strain the finished drink after shaking because all the little ice shards are likely a bigger contributor to the look than the citrus bits.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

wormil posted:

No idea where you found that, it doesn't even come up in a search but I'm talking about the version by Roman Shuvaev.

Ah, looks like that’s an Android app.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

poo poo, big slam out of nowhere

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

If you mean Tuaca, I put it in a thing with dark rum and peach juice earlier today and it was quite nice.

If you mean Tuca and/or Bertie, you can look forward to it appearing for a second season on Adult Swim

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I haven't tried rhum agricole yet, how similar is it to cachaça?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

My fridge has a crushed ice dispenser :shrug:

You can probably get it fixed under warranty if it wasn't negligence

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Why not just sub it for the lime? Seems like a good bet.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I made an Aviation substituting Bacardi Dragonberry for the gin

Thinking of calling it a Dragon's Flight

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's a shame because doing the louche thing is a great party trick.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lmao, this is the top google hit for Florentino

http://horriblepoisons.blogspot.com/2014/08/florentino-liqueur-my-personal-cross-to.html?m=1

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

On the previous page's recommendation I've done a Negroni followed by a Boulevardier (both with orange bitters) and god drat do I prefer the latter.

The question is whether I should have used sweet vermouth instead of dry for the former.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Guess that explains why it was like Nyquil-red instead of Coca-Cola red lol

Welp, guess I know what #3 will be, if they ever hook my power back up (or if they don't)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah, trying it with sweet vermouth makes it way more drinkable. I like.

BTW my gin shoutout for pure aromatics’ sake is Death’s Door.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Wanna eat those cherries.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah I was gonna say it sounds like G&Ts are just what’s called for, but you seem to have that well covered.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I just watched The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou and noticed that he kept topping up a tall tumbler with straight Campari, lol drat.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Important announcement, I have discovered that there is apparently some kind of biochemical reaction that may be specific to only me in which the combination of popcorn and Drambuie results in a flavor profile that is distinctly reminiscent of Round Table pizza crust.

It is so specific and so accurate that it may actually serve to assuage my cravings when I'm thousands of miles from the nearest Round Table.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I've been trying belatedly to experience just about every possible spirit or liqueur and every variant of gin and tequila and whiskey etc. just so I know what the flavor/history/mythos deal is, but vodka just seems completely pointless unless your sole purpose is to get drunk as efficiently as possible. Surely there's something I'm missing

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Wonderful. Was Tito's started by the people behind Noka Chocolate? http://dallasfood.org/2006/12/noka-chocolate-part-1/

e: lol no way, the guy's name is literally Tito Beveridge

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

So can someone explain how an Old Fashioned is supposed to work?

Specifically -- so there are a lot of variations, but what most agree on is that you're supposed to start by muddling the sugar cube and bitters in the serving glass, and then add ice, and then add whiskey. So ... this seems like the entire intent is for the sugar/bitters to stay at the bottom and not affect the drink at all until the very end. Why wouldn't one try to mix it better? Or is that, like, the point? Some "thing" about how the bitters/sugar should be just a hint to finish it off when you're almost done?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Cool, good to know. Do we still just sit the syrup/bitters in the bottom of the glass and let it mix naturally, or do we like swizzle it around with the ice a bit while feeling a bit of shame and pretend we're not doing it? Or actually mix it prior to pouring.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Man, what good does grenadine do except make the bottom 10% of the drink red

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Chartreuse is far and away my favorite neat/rocks sipper

e: Just got some Galliano though, been looking forward to trying that.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Gatts posted:

Being quarantined this year I invested in a home bar and started mixing drinks. My favorite is a Corpse Reviver #2.

I had just learned how to make it when I saw this Archer episode

https://meerkatproductsltd.typepad.com/embury/2016/05/heroic-drinker-of-the-week-veronica-dean-on-archer.html

I was so proud of myself for not having to rewind to make sure I caught it all :kiddo:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Quite the av/post combo :v:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I mean I usually see it spelled differently, but it always throws me for a loop. I’m sure the spelling doesn’t make it any better or worse.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It has to happen ~organically~ so people get tricked into having basic humanity

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I have to be quiet with mine because I don't want my roommate to think I'm in any kind of positive mood about the way things are going but I have a 12-year Appleton rum that I think goes extremely nicely with the season

It can be poured on tiptoe

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Professor Wayne posted:

I just finished a jar of luxardo cherries. What should I do with all that good syrup left over?

chugalug

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That cuts out like a whole class of liquors tbh.

Which hey, might simplify your life.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Just tried Fernet-Branca and I think I like it considerably

Not many things seem like they go well with chocolate/spice flavors rather than citrus, but this seems like a good call for winter. Toothpaste smell or no

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah I had one. It kinda kicked rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I saw this on a restaurant placemark in Google Earth randomly and I would love to know how to reproduce this color:

None of the things on their cocktail menu sound like a match for this (https://www.barpazzo.com/wp-content/uploads/barpazzo_currentmenu.pdf), but maybe I'm wrong.

Seems like most red things (grenadine, Campari, etc) tend more toward the orange side than this?

(I have a bugger of a time even just trying to make an aviation look good, so I'm probably getting way too ambitious here)