Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bolo yeung
Apr 23, 2010

Mister Macys posted:

Anyone have any good cocktail recipes for tequila besides the big three? (Margarita, sunrise, la paloma)

I live near a small central American retailer who carries the jarritos soda brand. Any of those any good with tequila?

There are some variations on the paloma.

Paloma (normal one): tequila, lime and grapefruit soda (preferably Squirt) on the rocks in a salt-rimmed collins glass.

Paloma Blanca: substitute the grapefruit soda for sparkling water.

Charro Negro: substitute the grapefruit soda for Coca Cola.

Vampiro: basically the regular paloma but with a splash/shot of sangrita (a non-alcoholic chile-based drink used sometimes as a chaser for tequila) and maybe some drops of hot sauce too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolo yeung
Apr 23, 2010
I always keep my homemade orgeat in the fridge and it lasts me a good while without going bad.

bolo yeung
Apr 23, 2010

Klauser posted:

I was really in the mood for a Paloma last night but had no grapefruit soda, so I made these instead. We really liked them. They went perfectly with the spicy pico and guacamole.

Cool. I'm really not a fan of tequila and coke, but somehow the addition of salt and lime makes it drinkable.

Ended up making this last night. http://historicalfoods.com/hot-gin-punch-recipe

All other recipes for hot gin punch look more like mulled fortified wine spiked with gin. I really liked the simplicity of this one. Didn't have lemons so subbed for lime. Still delicious.

bolo yeung
Apr 23, 2010

Vegetable Melange posted:

Did you use dutch gin in that punch? Because if not, vaya con dios.

Why? Tasted just fine to me. I can't get Dutch gin where I am anyway, so I'm not sweating it.

bolo yeung
Apr 23, 2010

theunderwaterbear posted:

i think he was making a poo poo joke about english gin having turpentine in

Ah ok. I hadn't bothered to read the write-up before the recipe.

bolo yeung
Apr 23, 2010
Kenning posted the Test Pilot. This is the Jet Pilot.

Jet Pilot

1 oz Jamaican rum
0.75 oz gold Puerto Rican rum
0.75 oz Lemon Hart 151
0.5 oz lime juice
0.5 oz grapefruit juice
0.5 oz cinnamon syrup
0.5 oz falernum
Dash Angostura bitters
6 drops Pernod

Combine all ingredients, add a handful of crushed ice, blend for five seconds and pour into a chilled old-fashioned glass filled with more crushed ice.

bolo yeung
Apr 23, 2010

Kenning posted:

That's Tiki.

Eh, the names aren't 100% consistent in Tiki. Also that Jet Pilot looks suspiciously like a 1936 Zombie.

I thought so too before I made it. The increased cinnamon syrup and grapefruit juice and reduced rum/lime juice sure makes a good deal of difference.

bolo yeung
Apr 23, 2010

angor posted:

Oooh, lemon is a good call. How do I infuse the tea in the simple syrup? Note that I plan on buying bulk dried hibiscus and letting it steep to make the hibiscus tea. Adding mint to the simple syrup is a great idea as well.

You can heat hibiscus rather than just steeping it. I'd simmer the hibiscus in water for a bit, drain the hibiscus, then add sugar to the hot hibiscus tea to make your simple.

bolo yeung
Apr 23, 2010
At some strip mall liquor store today I found a dusty 375 ml bottle of Chartreuse for $13, so I immediately snagged it. Got it home, took a swig of it, and then I noticed a bunch of tiny particles held in suspension in the liquid. What is this?

It didn't taste or smell off, but I'm just curious.

bolo yeung
Apr 23, 2010
I finally tried a Jack Rose and The Last Word tonight (made them both at home).

The Jack Rose was nice, but the lime really overpowered the apple brandy (used Laird's bonded). I might play around with the ratios a bit. Any suggestions? The recipe I followed was:

2 oz. apple brandy/jack
1 oz. lime juice
.5 oz. grenadine (homemade)

The Last Word was a revelation. What a perfect drink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolo yeung
Apr 23, 2010

rxcowboy posted:

Side note...where the gently caress do some of these cocktail bloggers get their info? I just read two separate postings where the author was quite emphatic about a Manhattan being traditionally served on the rocks. I'm a very easy going bar customer, but if someone hands me a manhattan with ice in it, I'm handing it right the gently caress back.

I also made the unfortunate mistake of reading about a Manhattan being made with Maker's Mark, a ton of simple syrup, cherry juice, muddled cherries and more cherries for garnish. Drink a loving cherry juice box and that point ugh.

My knowledge of cocktails is extremely limited but even I know not to gently caress with some poo poo.

I've always understood that a Manhattan can be served up or rocks.