Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011
How can I improve my margarita?

I've tried various ratios of liquids, but I always seem to get something that tastes like a caipirinha (like rum and lime, simple flavor but tasty). I never get what I remember having at restaurants. They seem to make something that has a more full bodied and richer flavor profile. Maybe I'm just remembering wrong.

Today I tried a couple variations:

1.5oz reposado tequila
1.5oz triple sec (a cheap one)
1/2 a lime

2oz reposado tequila
.5oz orange liqueur (Harlequin brand)
1/2 a lime

I've heard of people using agave juice. Maybe that could help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011

Wompa164 posted:

I recently got into cocktails/mixology and I can suggest the Jack Rose and Pegu Club as prohibition-style cocktails that are sure to please.
I've loved the Pegu Club ever since I tried it the first time. Here's how I like it (the Cointreau and lime measurements might be a tad off; I really should write these down):

2oz London dry gin
1/2oz Cointreau
1/2oz lime juice
dash Angostura bitters
dash orange bitters

Not as good as I remember it being at one restaurant, but I don't remember how they did it.

that Vai sound fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Oct 12, 2011

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011
I recently had a couple cocktails that had a frothy texture. How do you get that?

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011

Jetfire posted:

Probably egg whites.
Probably not because the menu did not list it that ingredient for it, but it mentioned it for some other drinks. Must have been from shaking. I'll have to try shaking extra hard.

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011

betamax posted:

I was wondering if someone here had done experimenting with Aviations or other cocktails that require Creme de Violette/CReme Yvette?

I am in Ontario and travelling soon, so debating which bottle would be worth more to acquire and bring back home.
That's a drink I've wanted to try, and I came across this in my research.

Edit: Wait. That doesn't answer the question your question about violette.

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011

Ernest Hemingway posted:

1 oz. brandy
1 oz. white rum
1 oz. Cointreau
3/4-1 oz. lemon juice
That's something I need to try.

Is there a cheap line of brandy worth buying for cocktails?

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011

betamax posted:

Actually, just tried the aviation with the same ratios and beefeater and enjoyed it a lot more (had used tanq 10 and sapphire before). Just curious, what is your gin of preference for this cocktail?
I like a 1.5 oz Plymouth gin, 3/4 oz Luxardo, and 1 oz lemon juice. The only Aviations I've had are the ones I've made, but I really like it. The lemon flavor really comes through, which may or may not be your thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011
I was looking at my stainless steel shaker, and I noticed some small orange spots on the cover. Is that normal or am I going to get metal poisoning?