Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

The Hebug posted:

Campari and IPA

There's a bar in my city that had a cocktail on their menu last summer consisting of tequila, Campari, IPA, lime juice and maybe something else and it was incredible. People tend to look down on beer cocktails for some reason but I actually can't recall having one that didn't at least kind of work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Comb Your Beard posted:

I was surprised to see Fernet-Branca on mainstream bar menus, I don't see that on the east coast.

Where the hell do you live? I see it all over cocktail lists in Richmond, DC, and Atlanta. Several bars in Richmond offer shots of Fernet for pretty cheap.

Peacheshead posted:

I like fernet a lot, but the only thing I know to do with it (and the only way I've seen it used) is in a fernet buck. Any tips on other drinks?

I like making Manhattans with Fernet instead of whiskey. I'd imagine it'd make for a pretty interesting Sazerac, too.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

2DCAT posted:

Odd... I've heard of making Manhattans subbing bitters with Fernet, but you're subbing whiskey for Fernet? I'd think that would completely overwhelm the vermouth. What vermouth (other ingredients) are you using to balance out the bitterness from the Fernet?

Noilly-Prat sweet vermouth, Angostura bitters. You're right that it is pretty Fernetty, but I like it that way. And to be fair, I ease back on the standard ratio, using maybe 1.5oz Fernet instead of 2oz.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

cptn_dr posted:

Found half a bottle of Calvados that I'd forgotten about. Figured I'd do something with it, so I made a Calvados Old Fashioned. Calvados, honey, bitters.

I think I'll make this again.

Mix an ounce or so with 12oz of your favorite imperial stout for one hell of a boozy good time.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Hey Kenning, you around? I'm making your Pinkhouse Punch for a potluck tonight. Just got back from the store, realized I forgot turbinado sugar. Will white sugar work, or is it worth it for me to head back out to Kroger?

edit: just did some googling and it looks like white sugar will work fine. I'll update with how it tastes. Also the normally-has-everything beer and wine shop didn't have a single goddamn bottle of barleywine so I got some Founders Curmudgeon instead, which is essentially the same thing. We'll see how it goes.

prayer group fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Feb 10, 2016

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
PUNCH UPDATE: used white sugar, Bushmills whiskey, and a bottle of Founders Curmudgeon in place of barleywine. Came out absolutely delicious. Thanks kenning!

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
So I officially got the promotion to bartender at the restaurant I work at, and I'm starting to stock up my home bar for experimentation purposes. I impulse-bought a bottle of Bonal when I was out yesterday because I've enjoyed it in cocktails, but now that it's staring me down I'm not really sure where to start with it. Outside of the obvious move of using it instead of sweet vermouth, does anyone have any further tips? And do I have to refrigerate it like vermouth or no?

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Fart Car '97 posted:

aromatic butters

don't give me ideas, man

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Just wanted to pop into the thread to say that I just completed bartender training at my restaurant and my first official shift was Easter brunch. Woof. So many mimosas and bloodies. Fun, though. Our meeting for the next cocktail list was last Monday and I was invited to bring a recipe despite my noobhood. Everyone was impressed with what I brought, to my delight. It's essentially a French 75 plus an Arnold Palmer, I call it a Hey Arnold:

1.5 Green Hat gin
1.0 sweet tea syrup (two big pouches of black tea in a quart container about 1/3 filled with white sugar, top with hot water and chill)
0.5 limoncello
2 hearty dashes Angostura

Stir, strain into pint glass with crushed ice, top with dry sparkling wine, garnish with lemon and mint leaf. Looks like a tall glass of iced tea, drinks like one of those tall Arizona cans of Arnold Palmer. It rules.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Totally correct call there dudes. Our bar manager does dumb poo poo like stirring and straining French 75's into a flute before adding the wine, so he totally wouldn't have thought to call me out on that.

And anyway y'all are welcome at my spot if you're ever in Richmond, VA. It's the oldest French restaurant in the city, ask around. Or PM me, I guess.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

bunnyofdoom posted:

So, I got some maple ganuale sugar. Thinking making a simple syrup with it, and swapping it into a whiskey sour?

My bar had a cocktail that was 2oz single barrel bourbon, 1/2oz good dark amber maple syrup, 1oz lemon juice, shaken with a rosemary sprig. Make a rich simple syrup with that stuff and I'm sure you could use those same proportions. The rosemary is really nice with it but you could go without or sub some other herb or a cherry or whatever.

edit: got the ratio wrong, fixed

prayer group fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Apr 10, 2016

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
That sure is how you make a Negroni, yep. Kirkland gin is actually pretty good, I don't remember who makes theirs but it's a respectable spirit. While you still have Campari you should get a bottle of rye or bourbon and make some Boulevardiers. Then get or make cold brew coffee and sub it (with a dash of simple syrup) for the vermouth in a Boulevardier. Trust me on that one.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Made up something tasty during a slow Sunday lunch shift today.

1.5oz Bunnahabhain scotch
1oz French syrah
0.5oz Benedictine
3 dashes black walnut bitters

Stir, strain, big ice cube, orange peel. I don't know what the hell possessed me to combine scotch and syrah but by God, it works. Benedictine for sweetness and richness, black walnut bitters for a little earth and complexity. Now to name it and try to get it on our next cocktail list.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Sounds tasty, but do you sell many ~$18 cocktails? Isn't the pour cost on that really high?

We only charge like $12 for Bunnahabhain. It's about that much in the couple other places I've seen it. Weird that it's so pricey wherever you are. My intent was just a mellow, smooth scotch, so you could easily sub in Oban or an Isle of Jura scotch or something.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Weird! Our bar manager missed his calling as a gimmick-cocktail beach bartender, so it doesn't really surprise me that that went unnoticed. Guess I'll pick a different scotch for my cocktail.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Fair point. I'll pitch it at the next cocktail meeting and see if he's mad about me using Bunnahabhain or not. And for the sake of content, here's another tasty one I made up while drunk at home recently.

2oz bourbon (I used Heaven Hill because it's what I drink at home)
1.5oz Bonal
1.5oz homemade cold brew coffee
Stir, strain, over rocks if you want I don't care, orange peel. It's loosely based on a Boulevardier, modified for the bottle of Campari that I don't have, the bottle of Bonal that I do have, and the cold brew coffee that I've been making. It's smooth and surprisingly light, and perfectly splits the uprights of "rich coffee flavor" and "light and refreshing". Bonal and coffee love each other; I recommend playing with those two ingredients. In this one I'm sure a good rye would be fantastic instead of bourbon, I just don't happen to have any at home right now.

You guys make up anything cool lately? I feel like I barge into this thread and holler about how good the things I make up are pretty frequently.

prayer group fucked around with this message at 05:45 on May 18, 2016

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

uncle spero posted:

I've been drinking that cold brew coffee boulevardier ever since someone posted it earlier int he thread. It is my go-to drink at home now. It really is that good.

That was me, I'm pretty sure! It's a fantastic cocktail, I'm glad you're digging it.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
You could make a French 75 riff with it maybe? Pick your gin wisely, don't use anything super aromatic. That could be pretty excellent if you play it right.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
We're serving our bourbon barrel Negroni for $7 instead of the $15 it normally is, and our dumbass hick bar manager has prepared a Negroni recipe with hibiscus-infused gin, which actually doesn't sound so bad.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

PT6A posted:

I've heard some people call this a version of a Negroni, but I think it has more to do with the proportions than anything. I don't know the original source, but I first had it at Proof in Calgary.

The Trident

1 oz. Akavit
1 oz. Cynar
1 oz. amontillado sherry
2 dashes peach bitters

Great, but definitely ingredients most people don't have lying around.

That sounds so good.

Not Negroni-related, but I made this up today:

2oz reposado tequila
1oz Muscadet (very dry, kinda briny French white wine)
1oz Cocchi Americano
3 muddled basil leaves

Muddle basil with a bit of tequila, build over ice, shake, double-strain into coupe, lime twist. The tequila and wine do crazy things together, this spicy note comes out in the midpalate. Light, very dry, as green as a Last Word. Might call it La Palabra Final since it looks so much like that.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

goferchan posted:

Is there an apple liqueur that doesn't taste like poo poo? Not like applejack or brandy but a non-lovely version of the sour apple pucker stuff collecting dust at every bar. Had to make some appletinis tonight for (somehow) the first time in my career and after some quick googling I threw something together based on a recipe Alton Brown posted with a little Lillet Blanc and honey syrup and it honestly wasn't bad but I feel like it could be way better if I had something less cloying and artificial tasting than the DeKyupper stuff for the apple factor

Look into Berentzen apple liqueur. It's not nearly as sour as that DeKuyper nonsense.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Fart Car '97 posted:

I forgot about the Amontillado sherry I threw in my oak barrel 2 months ago. Tasted it today. I'm blown away! It's delicious. It was supposed to just be a placeholder for a few weeks until I forgot about it, but now I've decided I'm going to remix it with Anejo Rum, Ferrand's dry curacao, and a little allspice dram. The tester I made using what I had lying (Flor de Cana 7, DK triple sec) was awesome, and I think it's the kind of drink that will age really well in a barrel.

E: I ended up trying it with a sweeter, darker rum and liked it even more. The final mix that went into the barrel was:

750 ml barrel aged Amontialldo Sherry
375 ml Ron Zacapa 23
375 ml Pierre Ferrand's Dry Curacao

:toot:

The Ferrand's Curacao is just awesome, too.

Fuuuuck that sounds great. PF Dry Curacao is so good in everything I put it in.

Also last week at work I figured out a way to make creme de banana palatable:

1oz Flor de Cana 12yr
1oz Defiant whisky (scotch style whisky from North Carolina)
0.5oz orgeat
0.25oz creme de banana

I've just been calling it Banana Bread, since that's exactly what it tastes like. Might try serving it warm, garnish it with some slivered almonds or something.

prayer group fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jul 12, 2016

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
I have no doubt that that would be better, but the point was to make creme de banana into something enjoyable. One of the other bartenders made a really interesting drink with blueberry infused Flor de Cana though, so we are definitely on the infused-rum tip around here.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

It's summer, and the catered lunch at work included lemonade and iced tea. That made me wonder if anyone has an alcoholic Arnold Palmer recipe. It seems like the simplest thing would be limoncello and tea shaken over ice. There's also the drop a shot of vodka into a normal Arnold Palmer option, but adding vodka to a nonalcoholic drink to make it alcoholic is cheating.

This is a drink I made up and called Hey Arnold, which is currently on my restaurant's cocktail list.

2oz American gin (we use Commonwealth)
1.5oz sweet tea syrup (in a quart container, fill with sugar just under halfway, add black tea and water, let sit for a few hours then strain)
1oz limoncello
3 dashes Angostura

Build in a pint glass. Add crushed ice, then top with whatever prosecco or sparkling wine you have. Stir. Garnish with lemon and mint if you feel like it. Tastes precisely like an Arnold Palmer, but it gets you drunk pretty drat fast.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Kenning's Pinkhouse Punch is very fall, it's the only punch I've ever made and I always have a hard time convincing myself to make a different one because it's so drat good. It involves Irish whiskey, oleo saccharum, and barleywine, and that's about it. I think you could scroll through his post history in this thread to find it, he's posted the recipe a couple times.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Many, many craft-y bars use Bittermens, my bar included. Their poo poo is quality. I have minimal experience with the other two. But I will say that outside of Ango/Peychauds/orange there are few occasions that you'll want for something more. My bar has a mysterious vial of black walnut bitters that makes a loving crazy Manhattan, but it's a nondescript hand-labeled glass bottle.

Basically I'm saying don't worry about weirdo bitters because they lack versatility. If you really think you aren't doing everything you want to do with the bitters you already have, maybe check out the Tiki or Burlesque bitters from Bittermens. Or figure out who the gently caress makes black walnut bitters, and tell me where to buy that.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Orange blossom water and rose water are both extremely powerful. The most of either one that I've ever used was a bar spoonful, which is about 0.2oz. A "splash" is probably waaay too much.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Had our fall cocktail meeting tonight. My precious baby made the cut. I call it the Smoke Signal.

1.5 Pedro Ximenez Colosia sherry
1 Byrrh
1 Amaro Nonino
0.25 lemon juice
bar spoon Laphroaig
2 dashes orange bitters

Stir, strain over big rock, orange twist. Crazy complex, smoky and sweet. Really rich and full-flavored, but only one ingredient is full-proof. Changes as the ice melts. I'm really proud of this one.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Our bar has only identical bar spoons, so it makes sense for us to use as a unit of measure. I painstakingly figured out what the volume of a bar spoon was during a slow lunch shift and it comes out to 0.2oz.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Fart Car '97 posted:

It sounds like a bottle of Old Tom would be a worthy investment for you. You which you can use to make yourself a Martinez and a white Martinez. You'll need a bottle of Dolin Blanc for the white martinez but Dolin blanc is cheap and worth having around in your fridge

Absinte is worth having around, there are just so many really good classics that call for it. If you want to save yourself some money you can get a bottle of Pernod to use as a sub for absinthe, it is high quality but easier to find and without the added 'absinthe' name tax.

Also at some point please try a 1:1 Plymouth Gin/Vermouth Martini with Orange bitters and an expressed/discarded lemon peel. We've converted a lot of the "I'll have a Martini and by Martini I mean 'Gin Up' crowd" using this recipe because it is really good and it's actually a Martini.

Good lord, 1:1 on a Martini? I drink mine 2:1 and that's rich for most people's taste.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
No poo poo. Guess I'll have to try it out.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Two Worlds posted:

I still don't believe you about this 1:1 martini.

I too had an unkind heart full of doubt. Then I did as instructed and combined 2oz each Plymouth gin and Dolin Dry with a dash of orange bitters, stirred dilligently and imbibed. It is a revelation. Gone are the days of "martini" meaning three ounces of cold vodka or gin. It's an actual, real Cocktail. It's amazing.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Yeah, definitely have it straight before you mix it with stuff so you get a better idea of its flavor. Drink it on ice, preferably with an orange twist.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
I am several years behind the times. I just got the Death & Co book (as well as The Bar Book: Elements of Cocktail Technique which I've been enjoying), and after owning it for four days I just spent a hundred dollars on cocktailkingdom.com outfitting myself with bar tools. I'm very excited to bring everything in to my shifts at work and have my coworkers use my spoon all the time and for me to break my mixing glass.

Also I just finally figured out the Bonal/bourbon/coffee cocktail I've been playing with for a while:

2oz Bonal
1oz Clyde Mays bourbon
1oz cold brew coffee
1 dash Angostura
orange twist
Build in rocks glass, add twist, ice, and stir thoroughly.

It's a pleasantly light, slightly bitter digestif to wake you up after a meal. I like it quite a bit.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Toast Museum posted:

Are 1:1 Manhattans a thing? Does it work as well as 1:1 martinis do?

Never tried it myself but I don't see why not. You'd need one hell of a whiskey to fight through all that vermouth though.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
I think you would need an overproof whiskey (Granddad 114 is a good idea), definitely a good vermouth (Carpano preferably) and maybe a dash extra of bitters. That's gonna be a real motherfucker of a Manhattan.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
One of the other bartenders at work made vanilla cardamom bitters that I have to stop myself from putting in everything. I've been toying with the idea of Indian-flavored bitters. Coriander, turmeric, curry leaf, etc.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Equal parts is the drat law for a Last Word. But I learned from the Death & Co. book that a peaty Scotch subs in really well for gin in that drink, so try that out. Ardbeg, preferably.

And on a similar note, my house daiquiri is now:

1.5 Flor de Caņa Extra Dry
0.5 Ardbeg
1oz lime
0.75 demerara syrup

Really complex. You could split the 1.5 of rum even further between light and dark if you want. Scotch and lime juice love each other, it's actually kinda weird how well this works. I tried 1.25 rum to 0.75 Scotch and it was actually less smoky/peaty, somehow.

e: whoops, missed your addendum there. The Last Word is an inherently boozy drink, so I don't think you're going to be able to translate that to something lower-octane. But actually, now that I'm thinking about it, a restaurant that used to exist around here ran a drink called the Aviatrix that was an Aviation with the gin subbed out for dry sparkling wine. Try that out. Maybe two ounces? Serve in a flute.

prayer group fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jan 21, 2017

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Lokee posted:

What is the general consensus on good mid to upper-mid range mezcals? I am definitely on the hunt for a bottle of mayalen borrego but other than that I'm not really sure where to go.

Los Amantes is the goddamn truth w/r/t mezcal. Vida Maguey is the standard at most bars but Los Amantes is way more complex (and a bit more expensive). Their joven is delicious and the reposado is just beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Okay, so I've been tasked with bartending my friend's wedding. It'll just be cocktails and wine, and only two cocktails at that. I'm doing an Old Fashioned with peach-infused bourbon and three bitters (Ango, orange, Peychaud's), and a rosemary-lemon-infused gin and tonic. The event will be about 140 people. How much do I make of these cocktails, considering they'll be the only liquor available? Any tips on process, scaling up recipes, etc?