Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Triumphant
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, I've seen Robocop. Bitches, leave.

Very Strange Things posted:

What do the pros do for a Julep?

What you did was pretty solid, but I'd make your syrup with brown sugar and actually let your mint leaves simmer in it while the sugar's cooking (don't boil them-- you don't want to release the chlorophyll in the mint, which will make your drink too bitter). Hefty splash of that syrup, few big glugs of Maker's Mark, lots and lots of ice in a cold cold glass and you've got something solid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Triumphant
Sep 2, 2011

Junior G-man posted:

Followed yours and Very Strange Things advice, and made my very first Mint Julep with mint from my own garden. It's delicious, but a few of these and you can find me under the table.

That's my favorite thing about the Julep-- that it hits like a sledgehammer wrapped in velvet.

The Triumphant
Sep 2, 2011

Devoz posted:

Can anyone recommend some drinks that would go well with Thanksgiving dinner?

I made one that goes really well with pumpkin pie spices and sweet potatoes and the like. Still tweaking it.

[/b]The Glamorous Glennis[/b]

2 oz. rye whiskey
.25 oz. Drambuie
.25 oz. orange liqueur (I prefer Grand Marnier)
hefty splash (2-3 dashes) Peychaud's Bitters
shake with ice, strain into a cocktail glass and garnish with an orange twist.

The Triumphant
Sep 2, 2011

Speaking of weird regional liqueurs, anyone have an idea for how I can get Malort in North Carolina? I have a sad fascination with the stuff and am tired of having the in-laws smuggle it from Chicago in airplane shampoo bottles.

The Triumphant
Sep 2, 2011

Doh004 posted:

Made my first Old Fashioned tonight and it's quite delicious and ended up buying a handle of Makers. Lots of Makers :yum:

That's literally the experience that made me into a religious bourbon drinker. Hangin with my roommate who'd been watching a lot of Mad Men adn he asked if I knew how to make an Old Fashioned. I said I'd do my best and six months later we've got five empty Maker's bottles around the apartment.

The Triumphant
Sep 2, 2011

Vegetable Melange posted:

Evan Williams is Kentucky sour mash, like jack daniels, not bourbon. That said, it is also delicious. For your old fashioneds and Manhattans, try going old school and use a rye whiskey.

I really want to use more rye, but I live in NC which means that all liquor stores are state-owned and it's hard to track down stuff that's more out of the mainstream. The only rye I've ever found that's not the fifty-dollar luxury stuff is Wild Turkey or Jim Beam.

Hey, question-- if I don't want to spend the twenty bucks needed for a little bottle of Drambuie (which, while I love, is also really badly-designed as the last two bottles I've had would up leaking all over the place and making everything sticky), do you think I could use Wild Turkey Honey and a little splash of something herbal to make a reasonable substitute?

The Triumphant
Sep 2, 2011

that Vai sound posted:

Is there a cheap line of brandy worth buying for cocktails?

I really don't know a whole lot about brandy but St.-Remy VSOP has served me well in the past for sidecars. Or for making Steak au Poivre, which is honestly where most of my brandy goes.

The Triumphant
Sep 2, 2011

Wompa164 posted:

What are your favorite gins?

I just picked up a bottle of Bluecoat (750mL for $23), a bottle of Hayman's Old Tom (was thinking about Ransom but I think Hayman's will be more versatile for mixing) and a bottle of Dry Fly. DrinkupNY won't ship to TX, but luckily I have a friend in NY that will forward the package to me :)

I really love Hendricks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Triumphant
Sep 2, 2011

Exi7wound posted:

The Triumphant is a wise, wise man. It's Hendrick's for me.

Why thank you sir.

When my roommate and I first got Hendrick's we made precisely one martini and then said "You know... let's never mix this with anything again."