Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I bought a cute little cart from Ikea and decided ok, time for a bar cart. I’m sloooowly working my way to a decently stocked cart, but I have this adorable pineapple shaped shaker that when cold, contracts so much that I cannot get it open, even under hot water. It works really well but so help me, that fucker won’t open after maybe two coldish drinks. I’m wondering if there something I can either repurpose it for, or figure out how to get it to consistently open without my partner swearing.

I’m not keen on tossing it, even if I’ve now shifted to a regular degular shakers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

This is a common problem with the cobbler shaker style, the one where it's two metal halves that neatly go together and you pull off the top cap to strain the drink through. Shaking a drink with ice actually cools it below the water freezing point, as Dave Arnold tested and describes in his book Liquid Intelligence. This, along with residue buildup in a shaker that you don't detail clean and just wash in the sink, will cause the metal to lock up. I had a cheap cobbler shaker lock up so tight that the cap wouldn't come off at all and I had to use it with a Hawthorn strainer. This is what drove me to give up on them and use Boston shakers that you can slap apart. And also take some classes with my regular bartenders to learn how to use them properly.

I did not know that about it cooling liquid below the freezing point! That makes sense!

My other cobbler is fine with ice, or at least has yet to give me serious issue. I think I might divvy it up ice/no ice and consider getting a Boston shaker should I notice Good Cobbler getting weird with ice.

Anyhow, time to plot a Systemet run around my weekend drinks. Hopefully can conjure up something to use my newly made ginger, blueberry and lemon syrups and not stick with “what if X drink but with Y”. This broad needs to broaden juuuust a bit.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Worth it making my own maraschinos or suck it up and buy the Luxardos? My other option is to stick with the weird Dr. Oetker’s.

E: lol guess I’m stuck with my crappy Dr. Oetker’s until I buy some better berries online. Maraschino liquor is in like, 14 stores in the entire country and the one closest is an hour’s drive away.

teen witch fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Mar 3, 2022

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Sir Lemming posted:

I feel like we're stuck in a Maraschino time loop of some sort, but to review: Marasca is the type of cherry from which both Maraschino liqueur and "Maraschino cherries" are made. I'm not sure if the cherries ever used to be soaked in the liqueur, but these days that would be highly unusual. It's usually just some kind of preservative sugary syrup, possibly including a much cheaper liquor.

So in conclusion: buy Maraschino liqueur anyway because it's delicious, but don't bother using it for Maraschino cherries.

I’ve had the liqueur before and it rules (which I was keen on buying it and figured “also make cherries”), but it’s kind of a to-do to get from my town.

When I’m in Stockholm next I’ll see if any of the systemets there have it. I’ve seen recipes where you can sub in other things for the liqueur but if I can’t find fresh cherries, I might not bother.

Sucks that it’s weirdly hard to get outside of the Dr. Oetker brand in stores and even that is more for baking than drinks, despite the “cocktailbär” (literally cocktail berry) name. They aren’t in syrup and more like an odd film. It works in a pinch but having had proper maraschino cherries, it’s a tiring substitute.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Hey, so my partner bought commercial mead as a joke, and it tastes like honey dipped pennies. I have been tasked to be rid of it, what can I use it in?

(May also use this for decent mead as well)

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Kenning posted:

Not every bottle needs to be drunk. It's not like alcohol is good for you, don't force yourself to down it.

I know, but it’s such a small amount left and my stubbornness wants to find some use for it outside of space hog. It has potential (but I do understand your concern. I am just stubborn for this one particular bottle)

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Empty Sandwich posted:

might be easier to import from Chicago than Sweden these days :britain:

We also don’t have Malört here. We have a million and one things flavored with wormwood but not *actual* Jeppsons Malört.

I recommend getting a brännvin instead. That, should someone need help with and knows the ins/outs of sending it, I can help with

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
So turns out, outside of the Morin syrups here, Orgeat and almond extract is tough to find in Sweden. Has anyone had luck with ODK/Orsadrinks syrups?

I might pick up theirs as it looks to be a solid option outside making my own almond extract which takes weeks.

However as I do have orange blossom water, I’m down to make my own grenadine again because it’s way better than what’s sold here.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Can you get almond milk in Sweden? That's what I use to make orgeat.

Go on

E: having a no poo poo Hank Scorpio Hammocks moment because that would make this situation incredibly easier

teen witch fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Apr 10, 2022

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Corb3t posted:

The price of Chartreuse is going up by $20 next month.
Ah poo poo, guess it’s adding to the “concerning alcoho-haul” pile. I’ve been pushing it off for a year now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
8 days waiting time for Élixir Végétal, but the other two are out of stock for mystery amounts of time. Worth getting or tough it out? I’ve heard it’s intense which is fine, but apparently kinda bleh for mixing with?